Thread: True Detective

True Detective

This show is riveting and getting great reviews (97% on Rotten Tomatoes). Its already got a best show on TV buzz about it. It needs its own thread.

Matt Machoney and Woody Harrelson play detectives in rural Louisiana. They investigate (and revisit) a ritual murder that took place in 1995, that is eerily similar to a current murder. It’s told in a sort of flashback/present day style. The pilot episodes first 20 minutes are great. It slows down in episode 2 and 3, but then builds again in episode 4.

Very good if you are looking for something to watch and fill the Breaking Bad void.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 02-19-2014 at 01:11 PM.

So like usual, I jumped in late- episode 4. The episode basically stands alone for its acting and cinematic quality and definitely prompts you to wonder what brought these characters to this situation and where are they headed? I guess my litmus test for a TV series is whether or not jumping in midstream makes me ask those questions. This one got me more than Breaking Bad in that respect. Not that it's a better series, but episode 4 is executed at as high a level as I've seen on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    So like usual, I jumped in late- episode 4. The episode basically stands alone for its acting and cinematic quality and definitely prompts you to wonder what brought these characters to this situation and where are they headed? I guess my litmus test for a TV series is whether or not jumping in midstream makes me ask those questions. This one got me more than Breaking Bad in that respect. Not that it's a better series, but episode 4 is executed at as high a level as I've seen on TV.
    The last 10 minutes of that episode in the Biker Hangout/Projects was as fast paced/white knuckled TV as I've ever seen.

I also love the backgrounds of the La Bayou and surrounding area. Very picturesque.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 02-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.

finished episode #5 last night to drown my sorrows over the loss to the Wildcats.

Holy, Son of a Nutcracker!

I don't want to overhype this, but this show is on par with, or better than Breaking Bad

“I can see your soul at the edges of your eyes. It’s corrosive. Like acid,” he growls. “And I don’t like your face. It makes me want to do things to it…There’s a shadow on you, son.”
    Last edited by Scorcho; 02-21-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Nothing but three people in a room exchanging dialogue in a level tone
    This is my reaction
    goosebumps.jpg

Oh boy! Just when we are missing top notch writing on a television show with breaking bad gone, this one comes along. It is tremendous!

Tonight's episode is supposed to utilize Maggie Hart more as she exposes some information about Cohle.

Mccaughey's acting is blowing my mind.

Okay. My kids need to hit the sack so I can watch the season finale. This show is terrific!

wow, great season/great show.

I was worried the villian didn't seem creepy enough in earlier episodes, but episode 8 delivered. Last night, helped erase the painful play against Stanford by the Utes.

Apparently the finale was so popular that it crashed HBO Go's servers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...rashes-hbo-go/
    Last edited by Scorcho; 03-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    wow, great season/great show.

I was worried the villian didn't seem creepy enough in earlier episodes, but episode 8 delivered. Last night, helped erase the painful play against Stanford by the Utes.

Apparently the finale was so popular that it crashed HBO Go's servers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...rashes-hbo-go/
    I absolutely agree. The scene inside the lair/temple/carcosa, was intense. His speaking to Rust and calling him a little prince was eerie and creepy as hell.

This was a terrific series. The dialogue was well written and the acting was superb. The story was constantly interesting and the relationship between he two detectives add complicated and layered.

Expect to see some nominations for Emmys this fall, especially for mccanaghey.

After some of the hints that were dropped about Maggie's family, was anybody else freaking out when Hart was laying in the hospital bed with no one else around but Maggie and the daughters? I just kept coming back to the repeated lines about being "right under your nose".

I think having Maggie's dad being part of the Tuttle-Childress gang would have been too much of a cheap twist. That said, I think they deliberately hinted at the eldest daughter suffering sexual abuse at the hands of someone and her acting out was classic abuse-victim behavior. Maggie's dad was as likely a perp as anyone else on the show. But I feel they were commenting on the prevalence of abuse going on in our society rather than a link between Harrelson's family and the yellow king.

I like that they left it open for possible, but unlikely returns for Harrelson and Machoney (sic)) they could even continue this same case since they didn't round up all of the perps for this crime.

This might be blasphemous but both my wife and I commented that we enjoyed this better than Breaking Bad. I think season 1 was the best TV ever.

Season 2 rumors

- season 2 is about the secret occult history of the transportation system (set in California).

- looks like possibly Colin Farrell (and 3 other main characters).

- airs in 2015.

I found myself going through true detective and breaking bad withdrawals this week.

This is excellent news!