Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Travis Wilson Thread

The Official Travis Wilson Thread

Boo-yah!

Huge!

8 possibly 9 wins before the bowl games. Mark it down.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    8 possibly 9 wins before the bowl games. Mark it down.
    Jordan Wynn 2.0

And people kept wondering why I was posting to keep waiting.

Travis still has follow up and monitoring, but knowing who his physicians are, he's getting good care and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Jordan Wynn 2.0
    Hardly.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Is there reason to be concerned about Wilson getting the reps in the spring only to not be cleared in the fall? Or is eventual full clearance more or less a given now?

Either way, I'm happy for him and happy for the team.

NBC Sports has picked this up, although their source is Lya and the SL Trib.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...n-spring-ball/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We would have won 9 games last year with a healthy Wilson. We will be a force this fall.

If he continues to improve, and can go this fall, our QB situation looks AMAZING. The best it ever has. We now look like this:

Wilson - JR starter
    Manning/Cox - Backup RS Fresh
    Isom - Redshirt
    Hansen - Mission

Thomas - Safety
    Schulz - starting QB for Weber State

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Schulz and either Cox/Manning (the loser of the backup spot) transfer after spring ball.

Utah team doctor confirms.

http://twitter.com/DSorensen/status/438169385698459649

Team Dr confirms Travis Wilson’s recent tests were stable; cleared for non-contact practice, per usual, in spring. July re-eval. #goutes
    Not sure what the "July re-eval" means. If there is any uncertainty that is a problem.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Think of this:

When Wilson was semi-healthy, we had a top 25 offense, we were 4-2 with a win over a top 25 program, a 7 point loss to a top 10 UCLA where Wilson threw 6 INT's, and an overtime loss to a very solid OSU team.

We just went from maybe winning 6 games to maybe winning 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Not sure what the "July re-eval" means. If there is any uncertainty that is a problem.
    Wilson doesn't need spring ball much anyways. He will be there to make the young guys look bad, and not much else.

Longer, more detailed story from the Trib:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57...ravis.html.csp

--Yeats

sweet news!!! lets hope he stays healthy and can win s some more games! GO UTES

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

They're basically seeing what it looks like after certain time frames. Allows the doctors to determine if it's a stable anomaly or something that's likely to be affected by playing football.

That's the reason all the speculation was premature, and this news is a big better than was originally expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They're basically seeing what it looks like after certain time frames. Allows the doctors to determine if it's a stable anomaly or something that's likely to be affected by playing football.

That's the reason all the speculation was premature, and this news is a big better than was originally expected.
    So I'm guessing the coaches will give lots of attention to the backup spot, and whoever emerges will get
    more reps than usual.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

Wilson - JR starter
    Manning/Cox - Backup RS Fresh
    Isom - Redshirt
    Hansen - Mission

Thomas - Safety
    Schulz - starting QB for Weber State
    Don't forget the Wyoming transfer Thompson.

So, it sounds like he's been cleared for non-contact drills and they will wait until July to give him some contact, but really, he won't take his first live hits until ISU or Fresno St.

Hopefully the coaches are getting rid of most of his designed runs.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, it sounds like he's been cleared for non-contact drills and they will wait until July to give him some contact, but really, he won't take his first live hits until ISU or Fresno St.

Hopefully the coaches are getting rid of most of his designed runs.
    Doesn't really matter since QB's are off limits in spring ball anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Doesn't really matter since QB's are off limits in spring ball anyway.
    Right.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Right.
    according to utefans it does matter though?

Wilson doesn't need spring ball much anyways. He will be there to make the young guys look bad, and not much else.
    If we are installing a new offense under Christensen, don't we still want Wilson to get plenty of reps to understand all the ins and outs of the new offense?

Think of this:

When Wilson was semi-healthy, we had a top 25 offense, we were 4-2 with a win over a top 25 program, a 7 point loss to a top 10 UCLA where Wilson threw 6 INT's, and an overtime loss to a very solid OSU team.

10 seems like a stretch. We still have Michigan on the road, USC, Oregon, and Stanford on our schedule. Not to mention ASU who just has our number right now.

I having a healthy Wilson gets us from 5 to 8 wins though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    If we are installing a new offense under Christensen, don't we still want Wilson to get plenty of reps to understand all the ins and outs of the new offense?
    I think where having him available will be positive is in primarily two areas:

• Working with DC on timing, terminology, etc
    • Working with the receivers to get their timing down.

So I was completely wrong about the TW situation. Still a little tentative on this. I really hope he is not jeopardizing his health. Having Travis for 2014 will be so important for this program. Travis when healthy is a stud. He makes plays and is a gamer. There is a lot of talent coming back on offense and if we can get the line situation fixed, we will have a great chance to win 7 or 8 games next year.

Think of this:

HAHA. I love you, Utah, but 10 wins!?!?! Good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    So I was completely wrong about the TW situation. Still a little tentative on this. I really hope he is not jeopardizing his health. Having Travis for 2014 will be so important for this program. Travis when healthy is a stud. He makes plays and is a gamer. There is a lot of talent coming back on offense and if we can get the line situation fixed, we will have a great chance to win 7 or 8 games next year.
    I agree. I like our chances of competing SO much better with Travis around. We should be bowling next year and could break through with 8 wins or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I agree. I like our chances of competing SO much better with Travis around. We should be bowling next year and could break through with 8 wins or so.
    I hope so, but even with Wilson, it's tough to find 8 wins on the schedule:

Probable wins: Idaho State, Colorado

Toss Ups: Fresno St, Wazzu, OSU, Arizona

Probable losses: Stanford, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Michigan. ASU

I'm all for 8 wins, and I really hope the upsets include Stanford again and ASU/USC for the first time.

With Travis I put the over under at 6.5, without Travis 3.5
    In order of difficulty (Least to Most)
    ISU
    FrSU
    CU
    WSU
    OSU
    UA
    Mich
    ASU
    Furd
    USC