Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: (Insert Clever Title Here): The Cal-Stanford Game Thread

(Insert Clever Title Here): The Cal-Stanford Game Thread

Kinda weird we're playing two schools we haven't seen yet this year in the final week of the season.

We know what's at stake here -- a sweep puts us solidly in the conversation regarding an NCAA at-large berth. It also keeps alive a shot at a top 4 spot in Vegas, which IMO gives us near-lock status in the Dance.

A split and we're talking about how many wins we need in Vegas

Get swept, and we're NIT bound unless we win it all in Vegas.

I don't like the Stanford matchup. They buried us twice last year, are even better this year, are playing for a single-digit seed in the dance and we get them on Senior Night.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't like the Stanford matchup. They buried us twice last year, are even better this year, are playing for a single-digit seed in the dance and we get them on Senior Night.
    Agreed. I like the Stanford matchup about as much as I like Stanford.

I am encouraged with how we handled Scott last week. Maybe we can do the same to Powell.

Cal's a fine matchup but a bad time. They need this game as much as we do after getting blown to pieces in Arizona last week.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Kinda weird we're playing two schools we haven't seen yet this year in the final week of the season.

We know what's at stake here -- a sweep puts us solidly in the conversation regarding an NCAA at-large berth. It also keeps alive a shot at a top 4 spot in Vegas, which IMO gives us near-lock status in the Dance.

A split and we're talking about how many wins we need in Vegas

Get swept, and we're NIT bound unless we win it all in Vegas.

Yeah, Stanford has talented bigs, which our bigs have struggled with this year. We're really gonna have to slow it down against them and have a good shooting night.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Phil Cullen's weekly e-mail to season ticket holders:

It is hard to believe that this is the last week of Pac-12 Conference play. With the win over Colorado last week, our record was improved to 19-9 overall and 8-8 in conference. The Pac-12 Conference Tournament starts next week and teams are battling for tournament seeding. Here is a link to the Pac-12 Tournament Bracket, http://pac-12.com/2014-pac-12-mens-basketball-tournament . We are currently in 8th position in the conference standings, but we still have a chance to finish 4th based on this weeks outcomes. Tournament seeding is crucial and we hope to carry momentum into the conference tournament. If you are interested in purchasing tickets for the tournament, please call our ticket representative, Will Goldman at 801.587.9894 for more ticket information.

With that said, we have our work cut out for us against California and Stanford who are both locked as NCAA tournament teams. California is led by pg Justin Cobbs who is averaging 17 ppg in conference play but they have four others averaging double figures as well. Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Matthews round up the backcourt and David Kravish and Richard Solomon are one of the best forward combinations in the league. Cal looks to push the ball in transition and Cobbs is the primary threat. If he is not scoring the ball he making plays for others to score.

Keys for us against Cal are to defend in transition, contest shots and rebound. Our offense success rate is drastically better off of misses and steals on the defensive end of the floor. Game time versus Cal is set for 9:00 pm Mountain Time and will be featured on ESPNU.

The second game of the trip is against Stanford on Saturday at 12:30 pm Mountain Time and will be televised on the Pac-12 Network. Saturday's game will be Stanford's Senior Night. They currently have three seniors, Dwight Powell 15 ppg and 7 rpg, Josh Huestis 12 ppg and 9 rpg and John Gage. Outside of the seniors they are led by pg Chasson Randle who averages 18 ppg, 4 rpg and 2.5 apg. Stanford is big and physical has outrebounded their opponent in each of their wins. Although their frontline is big they like to run and push the ball and have an overall offensive rating that is 39th in the country. Click to see both Cal's and Stanford's stats.

As it currently stands we are ranked #34 in ESPNs BPI ranking and #35 in Ken Pomeroys ranking. It feels good to be in the post season conversation, but we are always striving for more and our players are too!

Thanks for all of your support! GO UTES!

The Men's Basketball Staff

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Something to get everyone's pulse rate up as we enter March Madness:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Tony Jones on this week's games:

For the first time since 2009, Ute fans aren’t looking ahead to next season, or even spring football. This group of Utah players has made clear with its performance that the focus remain strictly on March and the postseason.
    Utah Basketball: Rewards await Utes if they can win on final road trip

Last edited by LA Ute; 03-04-2014 at 11:20 AM.

--Yeats

Stanford crushed us last year with their size. I'm encouraged by how well we have handled Arizona and Colorado down the stretch. Hopefully they can carry that onto the road.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Stanford crushed us last year with their size. I'm encouraged by how well we have handled Arizona and Colorado down the stretch. Hopefully they can carry that onto the road.
    I think a sweep is a really tall order for a team still trying to figure out (1) finishing games and (2) the road. I'd be ecstatic with 1 of 2. Do people really think we can make the dance with a split on this trip and two wins in the tournament? I'm still not seeing ANYONE outside of this board talking about us as an at-large candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think a sweep is a really tall order for a team still trying to figure out (1) finishing games and (2) the road. I'd be ecstatic with 1 of 2. Do people really think we can make the dance with a split on this trip and two wins in the tournament? I'm still not seeing ANYONE outside of this board talking about us as an at-large candidate.
    1-1 is what I am expecting, along with a deep NIT run.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    1 of 2 would let us finish at .500. A pretty big milestone.

Lunardi finally listed us on his bubble. 1 of 2 with 2 tournament wins could get er done, if one of those Vegas victories is Zona.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

Lunardi finally listed us on his bubble. 1 of 2 with 2 tournament wins could get er done, if one of those Vegas victories is Zona.
    .500 in PAC-12 play this year? Wow. What a great year. Then throw in the fact that, what, 5 of those losses we had 10+ leads in the second half? Man, next year could be very, very special.

We have a chance to end up #4 in the PAC-12 THIS year. If we ended up top 2-3 next year, and had a favorable seeding in the tournament...special things could happen. We could get back to hating who we should be hating...freaking Kentucky.

What Oregon does will be critical as well. It seems like there is at least some measure of comfort in Oregon being in as the 7th team from the Pac 12. We need them to get swept by the AZ schools and lose that opening 8/9 game in the P 12 tourney.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What Oregon does will be critical as well. It seems like there is at least some measure of comfort in Oregon being in as the 7th team from the Pac 12. We need them to get swept by the AZ schools and lose that opening 8/9 game in the P 12 tourney.
    That's not happening to Oregon a second time this year, getting swept on a homestand.

I'm surprised at the spread. 3-3.5. The oddsmakers feel Utah is never an easy win.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm surprised at the spread. 3-3.5. The oddsmakers feel Utah is never an easy win.
    Makes sense to me. Utah has been a tough out in all but one loss this season.

I haven't seen a lot of Cal this season. I have no idea how we'll match up.

Makes sense to me. Utah has been a tough out in all but one loss this season.

I haven't seen a lot of Cal this season. I have no idea how we'll match up.
    First really tough line I've seen for a Utah road game this year. Our road history says we cover and lose outright, but 3/3.5 points leaves very little room for error. Money line where I'm at is +150. There's no overlay on this line at all.

Some ideas I have for thread titles:

• NCAA Or Bust
    • Road Trippin with the Nerds
    • Utes and Nerds and Bears - oh my!
    • Escape from Alcatraz - NCAA Tournament edition

RPI sitting at 83 heading into tonight.

These next two games will require our guys to essentially be a different team than they've been all year. Let's get it done boys!

Down a TD early.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Down a TD early.

The camera angle is making me sick.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The camera angle is making me sick.
    Standard def is just awful (on dish). #firstworldproblems

Maybe Delon needs contact lenses.

This looks like two teams who don't know they're playing a basketball game.

2 point lead at the half. U G L Y.

I'll take a two point lead at the end of the game. I don't care if it's UGLY.

Nice to have a lead, now win the game. Competing is not good enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Ogbe, Onwas, Bach and Kova have 20 of our 26 points. Who'd-a thunk it?

--Yeats

Is Olsen hurt? Why Hasnt he played?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Is Olsen hurt? Why Hasnt he played?
    It would be nice to actually make a 3 pointer this game.

It would be nice to actually make a 3 pointer this game.
    Thank you Brandon Taylor