Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: (Insert Clever Title Here): The Cal-Stanford Game Thread

HUGE win in so many ways.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Nice. Finally.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

20 wins. Sweet! Road record stinks but this is a good road win for us. Nice game!

(Exhale)

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

There is overall improvement and there is a successful season. Tonight's win allowed the 2013-14 Utes to cross over from the former and clearly into the latter.

With one game left in the regular season, we are solidly in the NIT, kept alive our shot at a top 4 seed in Vegas and are very much alive for an at-large into the NCAAs. This year's Utah team is Exhibit A as to why teams can arrive ahead of schedule, as well as why it's OK to demand excellence in spite of there being very little of it in recent years.

I hope they learned something important tonight about how to behave in crunch time. Although Lenz did take his turn at making a totally bone-headed mistake; and although they allowed that ridiculous roll of the ball up the floor for 7-8 seconds followed by an easy layup; maybe, just maybe, they've exorcised that demon. They made the clutch free throws at least.

i think they had only 2 TOs in the entire 2nd half. That's awesome.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

First time since we have been in the conference that we have been above 500 in
    League play

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Whatever happens next, this season has been a blast. I love exceeding expectations, and ending the regular season at .500 (at least!) obliterates anyone's reasonable expectations. Larry K should be strong contender for Pac-12 coach of the year and I think he should get a vote or two for national honors. Kudos to Kodiak and staff.

I just watched the highlights - some great sportscenter moves by Delon. I love the play where he gets the steal, pushes on the break, goes behind the back, jumps in the air and looks at Dakarai in the corner before throwing a no-look alley-oop to Dallin (which he caught, came down, and then softly laid off the glass). If Batshit dunks that thing, that's the ESPN play of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I just watched the highlights - some great sportscenter moves by Delon. I love the play where he gets the steal, pushes on the break, goes behind the back, jumps in the air and looks at Dakarai in the corner before throwing a no-look alley-oop to Dallin (which he caught, came down, and then softly laid off the glass). If Batshit dunks that thing, that's the ESPN play of the day.
    One correction, it was Marko, the human highlight reel, not Dallin that finished on this play.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It was Marko not Dallin, but a terrific play nontheless; I thought, "Im amazed Wright even trusts Marko enough to try that play." Marko saved our butts in stretches last night; still have never heard why Olsen didnt play. (That play where Marko got the o rebound and made the reverse pass to Wright for the layup was crucial).
    Last edited by concerned; 03-06-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    One correction, it was Marko, the human highlight reel, not Dallin that finished on this play.
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It was Marko not Dallin, but a terrific play nontheless; I thought, "Im amazed Wright even trusts Marko enough to try that play." Marko saved our butts in stretches last night; still have never heard why Olsen didnt play. (That play where Marko got the o rebound and made the reverse pass to Wright for the layup was crucial).
    Ack! It was marKo? Then I guess a dunk was out of the question.

With Loveridge at under 30% from behind the line and Tucker losing pretty much all his minutes, it's now mostly up to Taylor (and Ogbe/Tucker in limited minutes) to hit the outside shots. He delivered big time, but it still makes me nervous to have all our eggs in one basket when it comes to outside shooting. Not sure what can be done, though. Onwas produces so many other good things (wish he could hit FTs).

How great to see Wright, Taylor, and Loveridge hit their FTs late in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    With Loveridge at under 30% from behind the line and Tucker losing pretty much all his minutes, it's now mostly up to Taylor (and Ogbe/Tucker in limited minutes) to hit the outside shots. He delivered big time, but it still makes me nervous to have all our eggs in one basket when it comes to outside shooting. Not sure what can be done, though. Onwas produces so many other good things (wish he could hit FTs).

How great to see Wright, Taylor, and Loveridge hit their FTs late in the game!
    That 3 by Loveridge that was an airball by about 3 feet, and the 3 by Wright that appeared to hit the shot clock were mind-numbing.

We won because the ball finally bounced our way, a just reward for winning a lot of little battles and more than enough to compensate for some really boneheaded decisions down the stretch. We outrebounded Cal by 5 overall, 7 on the offensive end. We had SIX turnovers. That is an exceptional stat. God bless Ken Ogbe -- 15 minutes, two 3s, four fouls and two steals. Nothing else, but he gave us some offense early when we needed it, just like he did on the road at Boise and Zona. And of course, Brandon Taylor. Every time I see him play, I can't help but think we could do better. And then he hits a 3 late in the clock and I realize we have to have him on the floor late in games.

It's a damn good thing basketball is a team game, because you've got to wonder where certain individuals are mentally after this win. Dakari Tucker got 6 minutes, missed a 3 and committed two fouls. Jeremy Olsen was a DNP-??? (no one has clarified his absence at all) and we got an out-of-the-blue effort from Marko Kovacevic that was massive for us. His offensive rebound and wrap-around pass to Delon for an and-1 was the Play of the Year for Utah hoops. Well, after Brandon's late 3, maybe.

Discussion about Jordan Loveridge is probably best suited for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We won because the ball finally bounced our way, a just reward for winning a lot of little battles and more than enough to compensate for some really boneheaded decisions down the stretch. We outrebounded Cal by 5 overall, 7 on the offensive end. We had SIX turnovers. That is an exceptional stat. God bless Ken Ogbe -- 15 minutes, two 3s, four fouls and two steals. Nothing else, but he gave us some offense early when we needed it, just like he did on the road at Boise and Zona. And of course, Brandon Taylor. Every time I see him play, I can't help but think we could do better. And then he hits a 3 late in the clock and I realize we have to have him on the floor late in games.

It's a damn good thing basketball is a team game, because you've got to wonder where certain individuals are mentally after this win. Dakari Tucker got 6 minutes, missed a 3 and committed two fouls. Jeremy Olsen was a DNP-??? (no one has clarified his absence at all) and we got an out-of-the-blue effort from Marko Kovacevic that was massive for us. His offensive rebound and wrap-around pass to Delon for an and-1 was the Play of the Year for Utah hoops. Well, after Brandon's late 3, maybe.

Discussion about Jordan Loveridge is probably best suited for another thread.
    Did anyone listen to the post game? Did Larry say why Olsen didn't play?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Did anyone listen to the post game? Did Larry say why Olsen didn't play?
    Someone on Utefans says he heard Larry said someone was "going to give it a try" during the game. The thought is that he was either sick or hurt in practice. I hope so. I dont like the precedent being sent. I hope we arent recruiting over him. His type of player has been Key for Utah. I know he is technically from "Georgia" but he is a white Mormon big man. I would hate to miss out on the next Alex Jensen/Britton Johnsen/Jeff Johnsen/Trace Caton/ because we recruitied a JC that doesnt pan out.

Someone on Utefans says he heard Larry said someone was "going to give it a try" during the game. The thought is that he was either sick or hurt in practice. I hope so. I dont like the precedent being sent. I hope we arent recruiting over him. His type of player has been Key for Utah. I know he is technically from "Georgia" but he is a white Mormon big man. I would hate to miss out on the next Alex Jensen/Britton Johnsen/Jeff Johnsen/Trace Caton/ because we recruitied a JC that doesnt pan out.
    You forgot Ben Caton.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Some game talk:

Stanford will honor 5 seniors tomorrow.

Powell and Huestis each average about 8 rebounds per game.

Randle is the leading scorer at 18 per game. His field goal percentage is good, but he has been streaky in the games I've seen.

Somebody on Cougarboard is using the WTF 3 point shots by Loveridge and Wright as a GIF. It is pretty funny, actually,so I thought I would share.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=12116962
    Last edited by concerned; 03-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.

3 of our 4 TOs have led to Stanford baskets.

--Yeats

5 TOs at 15:00 of the 1st half.

--Yeats

3 of 5 TOs are by our guards.

--Yeats

6 TOs, 4 of them by the guys we trust to handle the ball.

--Yeats

Doesn't help that everything Furd throws up is going in.

--Yeats

How to do not give him a flagrant for the and kick him out of the game?

How to do not give him a flagrant for the and kick him out of the game?

Love how he was looking for the foul after his takedown of Lenz.

--Yeats

Larry explaining to the ref what should have been the call.

--Yeats

Furd must be shooting 70%.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Larry explaining to the ref what should have been the call.
    This is killing me.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.