Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC to SLC Road Trip

DC to SLC Road Trip

I'm picking my mom up from her mission in Washington DC this Friday. We will be driving back to her home in SLC together.

Any suggestions? Our route is not set. I would like to go through St. Louis to see the arch and the mighty Mississipp, but am also thinking about going off course to see the badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

I've read about a BBQ place in St. Louis named Bebe's that is supposed to be good. Any eatery suggestions would also be welcome. I am not in a huge rush to get back, but I don't have unlimited time, so I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I'm picking my mom up from her mission in Washington DC this Friday. We will be driving back to her home in SLC together.

Any suggestions? Our route is not set. I would like to go through St. Louis to see the arch and the mighty Mississipp, but am also thinking about going off course to see the badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

I've read about a BBQ place in St. Louis named Bebe's that is supposed to be good. Any eatery suggestions would also be welcome. I am not in a huge rush to get back, but I don't have unlimited time, so I want to get the most bang for my buck.
    Pappys is the best in St Louis. Let me know when you are in stl and we can do lunch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Will do - that would be great!

Will do - that would be great!
    You won't be disappointed in the BBQ

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    You won't be disappointed in the BBQ

I believe you! I like getting suggestions from people who live in towns rather than from yelp etc.

Is far west, mo worth taking a side trip to see? How about nauvoo, is it far out of the way?

Where in DC is she? North or South mission?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I believe you! I like getting suggestions from people who live in towns rather than from yelp etc.

Is far west, mo worth taking a side trip to see? How about nauvoo, is it far out of the way?
    Never Been to far west but nauvoo is 3 hours north

She's in silver spring Maryland, which I think is in the north mission.

I've been to nauvoo but she hasn't. Maybe we will swing up there and then hit mt rushmore the next day.

Is peter cook her pres? His daughter and mine were friends before his calling last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is peter cook her pres? His daughter and mine were friends before his calling last summer.
    Yes. She really likes he and his wife.

Yes. She really likes he and his wife.
    Heather Cooke is wonderful; I got to know her last year b/c our daughters were on the same soccer team. My wife knows Peter pretty well. If you have time and interest, a Gettysburg tour is the best thing on i-70.

Heather Cooke is wonderful; I got to know her last year b/c our daughters were on the same soccer team. My wife knows Peter pretty well. If you have time and interest, a Gettysburg tour is the best thing on i-70.
    That's a good suggestion. I've done Gettysburg a few times but bit sure my mom has.

DC to SLC Road Trip

Has anyone been through the civil war museum in St. Louis? MRD?

I understand it's fairly new and still somewhat small, but it's getting very good reviews
    Last edited by OrangeUte; 03-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Is this the same Peter who ran for Congress back in 1978?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I vote for the Southern route. Mt Rushmore is cool, but it's a long drive for a single site. Badlands, meh.

Also, when you take I-80, there is absolutely nothing from Omaha to Salt Lake City (sorry Eastern Wyoming, just being honest).

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I vote for the Southern route. Mt Rushmore is cool, but it's a long drive for a single site. Badlands, meh.

Also, when you take I-80, there is absolutely nothing from Omaha to Salt Lake City (sorry Eastern Wyoming, just being honest).
    I am thinking the same. Any suggestions for stops along the way?

I am thinking the same. Any suggestions for stops along the way?
    Kansas City is a nice town - good BBQ (if you like sugar), a nice downtown, if you like church sites Independence is nearby. I also think there is some Dwight Eisenhower stuff if you are a history buff (the Eisenhower library is in Abilene, about 150 west of K.C. but still on I-70). Also, I really like Lawrence - great college town and definitely check out Allen Fieldhouse.

Some awesome suggestions! I hadn't thought of Ike. Could do that and also the Truman museum in Independence.

Looking at a map we might also be able to slip through and do a Tennessee run, Knoxville Memphis Nashville and do the Grand Ole Opry. Not sure if that's biting off more than I can chew, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    yes; also ran for Governor against Herbert last year. Got crushed (as if you wouldn't figure that out anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

BTW, arent you of a certain age where you should expect one of these callings? Seems like half my high school class is missing at reunions b/c they are all mission pres's somewhere.

Has anyone been through the civil war museum in St. Louis? MRD?

I understand it's fairly new and still somewhat small, but it's getting very good reviews
    I haven't yet but I have been to the Courthouse (dred scott) that can be done with arch visit.

Too bad you are not going deep south. The wwii museum in New Orleans is the best museum in the country.

I haven't yet but I have been to the Courthouse (dred scott) that can be done with arch visit.

Too bad you are not going deep south. The wwii museum in New Orleans is the best museum in the country.

Really? I was in New Orleans for the first time last year and I stumbled upon the museum. I didn't have time to go through it, but had I known it was so good I might have made time.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Really? I was in New Orleans for the first time last year and I stumbled upon the museum. I didn't have time to go through it, but had I known it was so good I might have made time.
    You need two days for that museum. 1 for the Europe front and one for the pacific.

Is it the museum that Stephen Ambrose was involved with? Or is that a separate museum that is solely about D-Day.

Is it the museum that Stephen Ambrose was involved with? Or is that a separate museum that is solely about D-Day.
    The nola museum is Ambrose's brainchild. We saw it while there for the Sugar Bowl. It is terrific.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-10-2014 at 09:50 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I don't know about ambrose. All I know is that the museum is very comprehensive. It's in nola because that is where they made the boats for dday

BTW, arent you of a certain age where you should expect one of these callings? Seems like half my high school class is missing at reunions b/c they are all mission pres's somewhere.
    I'm not sure Peter was a member of the church back in 1978 (EDIT I remember now that he was), and he was married to Judy then. I couldn't have predicted that one. As for me, I am pretty sure I am not made of the same stuff MPs are made of.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-10-2014 at 09:57 AM.

--Yeats

I don't know about ambrose. All I know is that the museum is very comprehensive. It's in nola because that is where they made the boats for dday

Yes Ambrose developed the museum

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/abo...questions.html