Thread: inappropriate interviews

Hybrid View

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Articles in today's Trib....Peggy Fletcher Stack

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local...d-need-reform/
    At first, I thought I was reading a news article, but this is an op-ed piece.

I suppose I'm lucky because I've never had a bishop like those described here. I would trust my past bishops to interview my kids more than I would trust the average therapist.

That said, bishops probably need clearer instructions on this. For most, it's common sense, but we all know how weird Mormons can get.

Sancho put it well. I also never had a bishop/bishopric member ask me anything close to the line. They always asked if I followed the law of chastity as I understood it and then moved on. When I was being interviewed to be ordained a deacon, the bishop explained the LoC to me well, and age appropriately. My brother who is 5.5 years younger had an entirely different bishopric going through adolescence and has told me a few stories but nothing truly outrageous.

This is an issue that is probably worth a discussion and some training to reinforce the teachings to bishops and other leaders. However (and the article doesn't say this) but John Dehlin got involved with this signature campaign. And that essentially means that the LDS church leaders will toss it into the nearest waste basket.