Thread: inappropriate interviews

Hybrid View

There is a group called "Protect LDS children" that will be marching on Friday to demand changes. Its a Dehlin backed group and while I acknowledge that many probably really want to see change, I can't help but feel that this is another group that's going to implode because of the haters. Some of their demands are complete non starters (doing away with worthiness interviews being among them).

All in all, I think this is a really good decision because it helps protect kids and the church.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    There is a group called "Protect LDS children" that will be marching on Friday to demand changes. Its a Dehlin backed group and while I acknowledge that many probably really want to see change, I can't help but feel that this is another group that's going to implode because of the haters. Some of their demands are complete non starters (doing away with worthiness interviews being among them).
    I fortunately have never had a bishop I wouldn't trust to interview my kids, but I'm glad I have the option of joining an interview in case I ever don't feel comfortable with a bishop.

I would, of course, never leave any kid or adult alone with Dehlin for a minute. Dude's creepy.

So, let's say a mom insists on being present for her son's priesthood and temple recommend interviews. What happens if that kid requests a private interview with the bishop (something he doesn't want his Mom to know about). The bishop's in a tough spot, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I fortunately have never had a bishop I wouldn't trust to interview my kids, but I'm glad I have the option of joining an interview in case I ever don't feel comfortable with a bishop.

I would, of course, never leave any kid or adult alone with Dehlin for a minute. Dude's creepy.

So, let's say a mom insists on being present for her son's priesthood and temple recommend interviews. What happens if that kid requests a private interview with the bishop (something he doesn't want his Mom to know about). The bishop's in a tough spot, right?
    He has to defer to the parents. Parents never stop being the 'authority' when it comes to their kids.

We had a discussion in ward council around this last Sunday actually. Basically the conclusion of the discussion is ultimately the parents should be the ones who teach their kids about the standards so there is no need for deep probing, uncomfortable and inappropriate questions, then the interviewer can just ask the standard temple recommend questions for worthiness. Parents should also be teaching their kids about what is and isn't appropriate and enabling them with the tools to get up and leave if things ever did go wonky (like Sancho, I've never experienced such a problem with any bishop I've had, but some have). Parents should at least be there, and if they are uncomfortable with any questions they should review that with the leader first and the leader should respect that. Finally, if they are nervous about someone or suspect a problem it is everyone's responsibility to report that up the chain not only for your own kids, but for others.

After some people felt compelled to assure our bishop that they weren't worried about him having problems our bishop said, "Let's just take the ambiguity out of it, it isn't a matter of that, it is just a matter of safety for everyone. I don't want a kid leaving uncomfortable about anything, I don't want anyone also assuming bad things about me. Really most of the time I just want to talk to the parents after to say, 'Hey, I challenged Johnny to read his scriptures every day, can you help him with that?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Parents should also be teaching their kids about what is and isn't appropriate and enabling them with the tools to get up and leave if things ever did go wonky
    This reminds me of a missionary story. About a year ago, we had the elders over for dinner. After dinner, we went out in the back yard for them to share a spiritual thought with my family. A missionary pulls a huge rat trap out of his backpack. He shows us how it works by putting a stick in there. The stick is destroyed. Then he set the trap again and says to my 8-year-old son "I'm a missionary, so you can trust me, right? Put your finger in the trap."

I jumped in and put an end to the lesson right there. Elder got mad at me, showed me how he had disarmed the trap, and said how he was teaching about trusting church leaders. The whole thing was very wrong.

My wife and I took the opportunity to teach the family about how we don't believe in blind trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    .........The problem with a window is if you are in there crying, or arguing with a spouse, or anything else do you really want your gossipy neighbor walking by the door and seeing that?........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legitimate point.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I fortunately have never had a bishop I wouldn't trust to interview my kids.......
    Me either, but, I think I'm past that now. My youngest is in HS and probably doesn't get messed with much. He could take our bishop in 2 seconds flat if necessary. Let me be clear....it would NEVER be necessary.....our bishop, like all others we've had, is awesome. I know that isn't that case for everyone, but it has been for us. Not all our YM/YW leaders have had my trust though.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I think a window would be a good idea, and you could handle it just like you handle the parent option, by having the window open or close. If it's appropriate to open it, or if a parent wants it open, by all means open it. I also like allowing parents in the room, but I have to assume this will decrease the number of confessions in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think a window would be a good idea, and you could handle it just like you handle the parent option, by having the window open or close. If it's appropriate to open it, or if a parent wants it open, by all means open it. I also like allowing parents in the room, but I have to assume this will decrease the number of confessions in those situations.
    I just realized I'm the only one teaching youth Sunday School in my ward with the perv door window

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

That's probably the solution that will be implemented in the future. It needs to be there -- but not in every circumstance.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.