Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands off my (Nick) Johnson! - Utah vs. Arizona III

Ok Wildcats, you're good, and you're handing us our asses, I'll give you that. Please don't bitch about calls when you're up 21.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Now, who was saying that it didn't matter if we got UCLA or Arizona in the second round?
    That was me. Obviously wrong. But I did say it before zona lost to Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That was me. Obviously wrong. But I did say it before zona lost to Oregon.
    Well, as inept as we've been, I'm not sure it would have mattered.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I drove 14 hours in a 15 passenger van to watch the Utah vs Arizona football game last fall. As Bill Marcroft is my witness, I will never understand how in the world they can recruit.

Tucson is like the Mexican Rust Belt, the Akron of the desert southwest.

This is how one consoles oneself when one's team is going to be lucky to break 30.

Air ball on a jump hook just about sums up this half.

13 points and 7 rebounds at the half.

If we're lucky, we'll get a team triple-double!

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I really thought bringing in Kovacevic would swing the momentum.
    Xan. The correct answer is Xan.

To borrow a Senioritis phrase, Arizona is wearing our butts like hats. They're playing superbly, so all credit to them. At the same time, we are helping them a lot.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

13 points and 7 rebounds at the half.

If we're lucky, we'll get a team triple-double!
    With turnovers as the third stat?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    With turnovers as the third stat?
    Maybe we can count minutes as one.

I really hate it when we set the wrong kind of record. Like fewest first-half points scored in PAC-12 tournament history.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Arizona right now.

monster_jeep.jpg

From the department of "Misery Loves Company": SDSU 36 - USU 15 at the half

Not getting that shot off at Stanford looms large right about now. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Even in Applejack's darkest dreams, this kind of game was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Not getting that shot off at Stanford looms large right about now. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.
    The way I see it, we simply played our way into our current situation. We are who we are and deserve to be where we are. Next year we'll be better.

--Yeats

First points of the half!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The way I see it, we simply played our way into our current situation. We are who we are and deserve to be where we are. Next year we'll be better.
    Sure, but I think it illustrates the thin margins that you're dealing with when you're talking about a team like ours.

Even in Applejack's darkest dreams, this kind of game was impossible.
    I thought we would show better than this.

And I've had some pretty dark dreams in my day, but most of them involve the words "T.D. Croshaw."

My only consolation right now is knowing that I get to watch McConnell and Johnson blow out against a worse team in two weeks. Those guys are almost as annoying as Stanford.

I'll respond to myself. What we can expect next year are pretty much the same limitations, with hoped-for improvements:

1. Taylor will still be 5'10" tall. Can't do anything about that, but it's hard to see what might improve in his game. He already shoots and distributes pretty well. Maybe he will make fewer disastrous turnovers. He doesn't make that many, but the point guard allowing cross-court passes to be intercepted for slam-dunk breakaways really needs to be very, very rare.

2. Wright will still not be a great shooter, although we all hope he develops a pull-up jumper.

3. Loveridge may be playing more 3, and maybe he will not disappear for an entire half when he plays at that position.

4. Bachynski will improve, I think. So will Olsen. Kodiak's good at teaching bigs. So that's good.

5. Onwas will probably still be a terrible free throw shooter but might get better. He'll still contribute defense and athleticism.

6. Ogbe will be better and will get more minutes at the 2. But with Wright there, he won't really be contributing all that much.

7. Van Dyke will be preaching the gospel somewhere.

8. Kuzma might be really good. This is an area for hope. Same with Chapman. But they will both be freshmen with no exposure to D1 basketball.

9. Maybe Reyes, the new JC transfer, can rebound. We'll see.

10. Dakarai Tucker will still be our guy for the corner three.

11. Kovacevic?

12. Isaiah Wright? Redshirt?

13. Others?

Anyway, I don't want to be Debbie Downer but we should probably be a little cold-eyed about our chances next year. It's great that we have only 1 senior on the team, but the returning players are who they are. Maybe they'll get a lot better. Maybe maturity will make a huge difference. It did with Pimm's teams - the Vranes and Chambers group was much better their senior year than in their junior year. The team gelled. Maybe Kodiak's Utes will gel too.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I thought we would show better than this.

And I've had some pretty dark dreams in my day, but most of them involve the words "T.D. Croshaw."
    Damnit! Don't curse me with your nightmares.

I'm not even watching right now.

--Yeats

I'm not even watching right now.
    You're missing quite the rally. We've cut the lead to 32.

Checking in on the silver linings stats of the day: Louisville doing the same thing to Rutgers.

Aha. I think I found the source of our issues: Fields got rid of the chops.

Never get rid of the chops.

Couldn't even crack 40.

I'll respond to myself. What we can expect next year are pretty much the same limitations, with hoped-for improvements:

1. Taylor will still be 5'10" tall. Can't do anything about that, but it's hard to see what might improve in his game. He already shoots and distributes pretty well. Maybe he will make fewer disastrous turnovers. He doesn't make that many, but the point guard allowing cross-court passes to be intercepted for slam-dunk breakaways really needs to be very, very rare.

2. Wright will still not be a great shooter, although we all hope he develops a pull-up jumper.

3. Loveridge may be playing more 3, and maybe he will not disappear for an entire half when he plays at that position.

4. Bachynski will improve, I think. So will Olsen. Kodiak's good at teaching bigs. So that's good.

5. Onwas will probably still be a terrible free throw shooter but might get better. He'll still contribute defense and athleticism.

6. Ogbe will be better and will get more minutes at the 2. But with Wright there, he won't really be contributing all that much.

7. Van Dyke will be preaching the gospel somewhere.

8. Kuzma might be really good. This is an area for hope. Same with Chapman. But they will both be freshmen with no exposure to D1 basketball.

9. Maybe Reyes, the new JC transfer, can rebound. We'll see.

10. Dakarai Tucker will still be our guy for the corner three.

11. Kovacevic?

12. Isaiah Wright? Redshirt?

13. Others?

Anyway, I don't want to be Debbie Downer but we should probably be a little cold-eyed about our chances next year. It's great that we have only 1 senior on the team, but the returning players are who they are. Maybe they'll get a lot better. Maybe maturity will make a huge difference. It did with Pimm's teams - the Vranes and Chambers group was much better their senior year than in their junior year. The team gelled. Maybe Kodiak's Utes will gel too.
    Now who's the pessimist!?!?!

Honestly, getting flogged by the #1 team in the nation less than 24 hours after a hard fought victory over UW does very little to dampen my enthusiasm for next year.

1. I love Taylor. Our best defender and best shooter. Yes, he's a midget, but he's our midget, goshdarnit.

2. Wright is not going pro this year unless he gets disastrous advice. He needs to spend all summer learning one thing: hitting a wide-open three pointer. If he can just reliably hit that pretty easy shot, it unclogs our offense completely. Arizona had a great defensive gameplan for us today - ferociously attack the screen and roll with both defenders knowing that (a) we don't have screeners who can catch the ball and score and (b) we don't have shooters who will punish us for double-teaming. If Wright can learn to hit open 3s, our offense will open up for everybody.

3. Ute fans are down on JLover, but I don't understand why - he has improved his shooting this year and is still a great rebounder for his size. He needs to work on his 3s, but what will really help Jordan next year is (a) not playing so many minutes and (b) having other options on offense.

4. i thought Batshit had a great year. But I also think he has peaked. He is what he is at this point. Olsen may improve some (I actually liked his defense early in the game), but he's got a limited ceiling too.

5. Onwas should watch tape of every small forward who has ever played for the Spurs. They have two skills (a) defense - check, and (b) ability to hit corner threes - no check. Larry K shouldn't let Onwas do anything over the summer other than shoot corner 3s. (I know that corner 3s in college are the same distance, but they are still the most efficient shot outside of dunks and layups).

6. I think Ogbe has the best chance to make a leap next year.

7-13. Not much to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Now who's the pessimist!?!?!

5. Onwas should watch tape of every small forward who has ever played for the Spurs. They have two skills (a) defense - check, and (b) ability to hit corner threes - no check. Larry K shouldn't let Onwas do anything over the summer other than shoot corner 3s. (I know that corner 3s in college are the same distance, but they are still the most efficient shot outside of dunks and layups).
    I'd add 1,000 free throws a day, with the last 100 coming when he's dead tired and loud noise is playing on good speakers.

--Yeats

For us to take the next step and compete, we need Kuzma and Chapman to step up big time. If come the PAC-12 tournament next year, our best three players are Wright, Loveridge, and Taylor, we won't be any better. We will still be a middle of the road PAC-12 team.

Coach K is a great coach, I love Loveridge for coming to Utah and starting the turnaround, but we need PAC-12 talent. We have 2, maybe three PAC-12 players right now.

People disagreed with me in another thread saying that Kuzma and Chapman could/should be in our top 4 players next year, but if we are to get better like a lot people think we will, that will be the reason.