Thread: I want a rivalry with Arizona

I want a rivalry with Arizona

We have a history with these guys. I remember 1998, as I'm sure you all do. I also remember 1976-77, when we bid them goodbye their last season in the WAC winning the WAC outright even though they were heavily favored to win the conference. With the Utes up big in their last WAC game against the Utes, a bomb scare required that the court be vacated in the final minute. Coach Fred Snowden refused to send his players back out to play, we figured because he wanted the record books to say forfeit instead of the score.

I am old enough to remember when we had a basketball tradiation and they didn't.

Let's make the rivalry resume tomorrow. Delon, Jordan, Brandon, et al. make them hate us.

What a monster opportunity to play this team right now at this moment in history. Wouldn't it be great if life in general offered this many chances at redemption.

Utah by 5!
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We have a history with these guys. I remember 1998, as I'm sure you all do. I also remember 1976-77, when we bid them goodbye their last season in the WAC winning the WAC outright even though they were heavily favored to win the conference. With the Utes up big in their last WAC game against the Utes, a bomb scare required that the court be vacated in the final minute. Coach Fred Snowden refused to send his players back out to play, we figured because he wanted the record books to say forfeit instead of the score.

I am old enough to remember when we had a basketball tradiation and they didn't.

Let's make the rivalry resume tomorrow. Delon, Jordan, Brandon, et al. make them hate us.

What a monster opportunity to play this team right now at this moment in history. Wouldn't it be great if life in general offered this many chances at redemption.

Utah by 5!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Maybe Coach K will implement the triangle and 2.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Sorry, Seattle, no swish for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sorry, Seattle, no swish for you.
    So they finally laid an egg. Shit happens. Looks to me like AZ is of a good mind frame to win a national title.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

A lot of them sure don't seem to like us:

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=132000

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Because of 1998 and the few interesting football games we've had with them (his knee was in damnit!), I believe that Arizona will be the school that we do become rivals with. It just seems like we have more in common with them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A lot of them sure don't seem to like us:

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=132000
    That thread lost me one post in when talking about "classless" player behavior. Maybe those guys don't actually watch the games.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    That thread lost me one post in when talking about "classless" player behavior. Maybe those guys don't actually watch the games.
    That link refers to the game 3 weeks ago.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.