Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

I hate doing this. I really do. But, at the University of Utah, player transfers are a part of the business. We have turned over at least 50% of our roster in every offseason since 2008. I am hoping trasnfers are minimal this year.

We know that from a numbers point, at least one transfer is necessary. If we land Jakob Poeltl, there will be two.

Guesses?

You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.
    Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.
    I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.
    So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.

Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.

So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.
    It happens occasionally, the 6th man is also one of the team leaders. Kind of like what Olsen gave us off the bench in a few spots this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.
    I honestly don't think we take another jump in the standings until we have players playing their position. I think if this is our main rotation come PAC-12 play next year, we will be really really good:

PG - Isaiah Wright/Taylor
    SG - Tucker/Ogbe/Chapman
    SF - Wright/Kuzma
    PF - Loveridge/Reyes
    C - Bachinski/Olsen

So, in other words, I don't know if we get any better next year.
    Last edited by Utah; 03-19-2014 at 09:14 AM.

That's crazy. Put Ogbe at the 2 and let Delon run the point.

After last night's game, I really didn't think that Wright would even consider going pro...but, now after looking at that lineup, I wonder if he does go pro. I don't know if his stock goes much higher. I don't think he can develop a jump shot over the summer, as much as we wish he would. If he doesn't develop a jump shot, his only position is to be a small SF. And if Kuzma is as good as everyone says he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I honestly don't think we take another jump in the standings until we have players playing their position. I think if this is our main rotation come PAC-12 play next year, we will be really really good:

PG - Isaiah Wright/Taylor
    SG - Tucker/Chapman
    SF - Wright/Kuzma
    PF - Loveridge/Reyes
    C - Bachinski/Olsen

So, in other words, I don't know if we get any better next year.
    Loveridge ain't a Pac-12 4. Delon Wright a small forward? Brekkot Chapman a backup 2? What the hell are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Either way, I think if you are trying to assemble a Pac 12 caliber roster, Taylor is a guy you bring off the bench for an added spark.

Either way, I think if you are trying to assemble a Pac 12 caliber roster, Taylor is a guy you bring off the bench for an added spark.
    I agree. Brandon does a lot of things well, but his shortcomings are not the variety you can have in your PG and contend for a conference title.

Loveridge ain't a Pac-12 4. Delon Wright a small forward? Brekkot Chapman a backup 2? What the hell are you smoking?
    Yeah, let's try that again:

PG: Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, Wright (red shirt?)
    SG: Ogbe, Taylor, Tucker
    SF: Loveridge, Kuzma, Onwas, Fields, Tucker
    PF: Reyes, Kuzma, Chapman
    C: Bach, Olsen, Kova (likely gone?)

It looks like Tucker, Fields, and maybe Onwas and Chapman could have a hard time finding minutes.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-19-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Again, where does Delon play? PG? Like I said, I'll be shocked if Delon is on the team next year. He has hit his ceiling and will probably declare for the draft. There really isn't anywhere he can improve his stock.

And let's be real. How many guys suddenly learn how to shoot after one summer?

This team still has big holes in it, and Coach K's recruiting class shows this.

SG: Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe,
    C: Bach, Olsen, Kova
    If Brandon Taylor is starting next year, we aren't any better than this year and probably have a worse record with a tougher OOC schedule. I even wonder how far we can go with Loveridge starting. A starting SF that shoots 40% and 30% from three?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Again, where does Delon play? PG? Like I said, I'll be shocked if Delon is on the team next year. He has hit his ceiling and will probably declare for the draft. There really isn't anywhere he can improve his stock.

And let's be real. How many guys suddenly learn how to shoot after one summer?

This team still has big holes in it, and Coach K's recruiting class shows this.
    Based on his performance this year, Delon would be the worst shooting guard in the NBA. How many guys who shoot like a wrestler get drafted?

He ain't going anywhere.

his shortcomings
    Unfortunately, there are glaring shortcomings in his potential replacements too.

SG: Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe,
    C: Bach, Olsen, Kova
    PG: DWright/Taylor/IWright
    SG: Ogbe/Tucker/Fields
    SF: Chapman/Loveridge/Onwas
    PF: Reyes/Kuzma/Olson
    C: Bachinsky/Marco

I could be wrong, but I have gotten more and more discouraged with Delon as the point guard. Second half last night the worst. How many times did the color guy say in the first half that Wagner would not be able to keep up with Wright and that Wright should be able to get to the rim and score at will? Never happened, except on a couple of turnover breakaways where Wright got a charge call. In the half court set, he never tries to penetrate, cant shoot. Most of the time, he/we dribble around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down. The offense in the second half was unbelievabley stagnant and passive, passive, passive. As the color guy said, if we didn't have an offense off of the in bound plays we wouldn't have an offense at all.

Thats coaching, point guard play, or both. I am coming to the conclusion that Delon does not have the point guard mentality; he cant get the team into the offense, and that is why we waste so many end of game possessions. He is not close to Andre Miller, Jimmy soto or lots of others we could name.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-19-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I could be wrong, but I have gotten more and more discouraged with Delon as the point guard. Second half last night the worst. How many times did the color guy say in the first half that Wagner would not be able to keep up with Wright and that Wright should be able to get to the rim and score at will? Never happened, except on a couple of turnover breakaways where Wright got a charge call. In the half court set, he never tries to penetrate, cant shoot. Most of the time, he/we dribble around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down. The offense in the second half was unbelievabley stagnant and passive, passive, passive. As the color guy said, if we didn't have an offense off of the in bound plays we wouldn't have an offense at all.

Thats coaching, point guard play, or both. I am coming to the conclusion that Delon does not have the point guard mentality; he cant get the team into the offense, and that is why we waste so many end of game possessions. He is not close to Andre Miller, Jimmy soto or lots of others we could name.
    He was disinterested. It happens in the NIT sometimes. Does anybody else have the thought that Loveridge was more effective when he had the extra weight last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    He was disinterested. It happens in the NIT sometimes. Does anybody else have the thought that Loveridge was more effective when he had the extra weight last year?
    And Lenz was a freaking disaster last night. I am assuming Coach played him because he was a senior, but he doesn't set good picks, doesn't space well, or roll, and doesn't defend or rebound well.

Bachinski seems to have a decent shot. I'd like to see him face the basket mid range and take few jumpers.

This right here. Delon is a natural PG. Ogbe will benefit from a year of experience as well as a true off season working with the coaches and strength staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I hope he wasn't disinterested because he has already packed his bags and checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Things to consider:

What does our end-game/late-clock offense look like anyway?

Could Delon's workload finally have caught up with him late in the year?

Things to consider:

What does our end-game/late-clock offense look like anyway?
    I really don't think we have seen one yet. This seems to me to be a glaring (and pretty surprising) Krysko deficiency. A coach of his experience has seen plenty of end-of-game situations. I can't understand why his teams seem so unprepared at those times.

Could Delon's workload finally have caught up with him late in the year?
    Excellent question. With Ogbe more experienced next year maybe Delon gets 2-3 minutes off each half. Interestingly, Andre Miller averaged 31.6 minutes per game his junior year and 33.1 his senior year. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...h/andre-miller

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

Delon should join them on that shooting/basketball goal.

I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.
    Amen to that. The PG can't be giving up steals leading to dunks for the opponent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I can't imagine Delon going to the NBA after that performance last night. His shortcomings were highlighted. He may leave, but I cannot see him making an NBA roster.