Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Here's my ranking of the transfers by talent"

1. JJ O'Brien
    2. Princeton Onwas
    3. Justin Seymour
    4. Ahmad Fields
    5. Kareem Storey
    15. George Matthews
    Although he's not on my list, the best talent that left during the Boylen/Larry switch may have been Shawn Glover who averaged 21 points and 6 boards as a senior for Oral Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So I looked it up: Preston Guiot
    This one really annoyed me. Boylen once explained that there was no one in Utah good enough to recruit and then he brings in Guiot and Kupek? What a disaster.

Meanwhile Stew is having his best years with guys like Tai Wesley and BYU is shredding it. Boylen doesn't offer Loveridge because he doesn't think he's good enough either. The current staff has done a much better job recruiting local kids and people with Utah ties.

The most surprising of the busts to me is George Matthews. He was a relatively strong recruit for Boylen, but I could tell from game #1 that the kid had no idea how to play basketball. He always just looked lost.
    You can't believe any of the noise circulating about the basketball program during the Boylen nightmare years. Matthews was was a product of the Boylen propaganda machine. I swear Boylen also knew how to ply recruiting rags into giving his recruits inflated stars. Boylen thinks life is all about covering your bases this way, BSing your consituents, telling them what they want to hear. He was a complete charlatan, and a total cynic and an opportunist; a very bad man. Remember when in his first press conference he talked about all the championships he'd win? Hill should have fired him right then.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    This one really annoyed me. Boylen once explained that there was no one in Utah good enough to recruit and then he brings in Guiot and Kupek? What a disaster.

Meanwhile Stew is having his best years with guys like Tai Wesley and BYU is shredding it. Boylen doesn't offer Loveridge because he doesn't think he's good enough either. The current staff has done a much better job recruiting local kids and people with Utah ties.
    I remember that too. Who knows what was going on in Boylen's mind.

Coming full circle on this - I remember some talk about other players potentially being shown the door, namely Dakarai and Kenneth O. I'm glad both stuck around, particularly Dakarai who was an unheralded recruit and has fought for playing time over the years with Seymour, Ogbe, Fields, etc. He has really improved his game every single year - this year he has really improved his passing and his drive game. I'm looking forward to his senior season next year.

Kenneth is still an enigma. He has a much higher ceiling than Dakarai, but he's yet to reach that potential yet. He's still got two years left to improve.

Not sure who that was. Jordan Cyphers?
    Cyphers was from Wichita and transferred to East Tennessee State. Graduated two years ago and averaged 8 PPG as a junior and 12 as a senior. Shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You can't believe any of the noise circulating about the basketball program during the Boylen nightmare years. Matthews was was a product of the Boylen propaganda machine. I swear Boylen also knew how to ply recruiting rags into giving his recruits inflated stars. Boylen thinks life is all about covering your bases this way, BSing your consituents, telling them what they want to hear. He was a complete charlatan, and a total cynic and an opportunist; a very bad man. Remember when in his first press conference he talked about all the championships he'd win? Hill should have fired him right then.
    Oh, Jimmy won that press conference amongst the #realfans but there were a lot of red flags that went up in his presser. I would've fired him for saying how thick his playbook was on offense, when offense wasn't what got Giacoletti fired -- it was a complete disinterest by players on the defensive end and an inability to win close games.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Somewhere, Mr Comrade Montezuma's Revenge just had an aneurysm.

Great work on these!

I remember when Matthews signed what a win it was. He was listed as 6'7 and some even compared him to a young Paul Pierce! Yeah, that was a miss on a lot of people'es part.
    Here's another one you missed, although he never played at Utah: Josh Hearlihy. Now playing for Tulane where he averaged 1.5 PPG and is the 11th man.

As far as recruiting goes, how that entire thing went down left a real sour taste in my mouth. Coupled with the 5-win season, it really looked like Amateur Hour at that point. I hope we avoid that situation (the situation being reneging on a verbal commitment and/or recruiting kids who can't average 2 PPG at Tulane).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    recruiting kids who can't average 2 PPG at Tulane).
    Hey, Tulane is on the way up! New facilities, winning games. I used to be a season ticket holder there. Saw a lot of bad basketball, but I had front row seats. The gym was tiny but fun. Probably only twice as big as a WCC gym.

Poor Jim Boylen. He gets worse every time someone mentions him. It's like Gary Crowton for BYU. At this point, history actually has him encouraging crime among his players and recruits.

Coming full circle on this - I remember some talk about other players potentially being shown the door, namely Dakarai and Kenneth O. I'm glad both stuck around, particularly Dakarai who was an unheralded recruit and has fought for playing time over the years with Seymour, Ogbe, Fields, etc. He has really improved his game every single year - this year he has really improved his passing and his drive game. I'm looking forward to his senior season next year.

Kenneth is still an enigma. He has a much higher ceiling than Dakarai, but he's yet to reach that potential yet. He's still got two years left to improve.
    I remember a game earlier in the year where I thought: "wow, Ogbe's game has really improved." I hope he can overcome the injury and give us meaningful minutes this year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I would be interested in your collective opinion on potential transferees in 2015, while I really hope none do or have to. I just love this team and the makeup of players. Yet Delon Wright will leave a sizable hole in the roster. Also, I think Dallin B. is a monster, who will be missed. And then there is the Poeltl question: should he stay or should he go.

With all the love Utah is getting this year, I trust the team makes good on what is becoming at the hands of ESPN a hype machine. The unexpected benefit here is in who will be interested now in coming to Utah. I actually expect K3 to capitalize in a way Rick Majerus did not fully. We all know K3 does not want to recruit 'turds', so the burning question is going to become, what happens if K3 has kids who would not have given Utah even a glance in earlier times now wanting to come. Like this summer. I know Utah has three kids coming in, one unsigned, who may be a better football player than a BB player. Not sure who comes back from an LDS mission, more likely in 2016. But do you see what I am driving at...

Curious as to what you folks think.
    Last edited by UtahFanSir; 01-16-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahFanSir View Post
    I would be interested in your collection opinion on potential transferees in 2015, while I really hope none do or have to. I just love this team and the makeup of players. Yet Delon Wright will leave a sizable hole in the roster. Also, I think Dallin B. is a monster, who will be missed. And then there is the Poeltl question: should he stay or should he go.

With all the love Utah is getting this year, I trust the team makes good on what is becoming at the hands of ESPN a hype machine. The unexpected benefit here is in who will be interested now in coming to Utah. I actually expect K3 to capitalize in a way Rick Majerus did not fully. We all know K3 does not want to recruit 'turds', so the burning question is going to become, what happens if K3 has kids who would not have given Utah even a glance in earlier times now wanting to come. Like this summer. I know Utah has three kids coming in, one unsigned, who may be a better football player than a BB player. Not sure who comes back from an LDS mission, more likely in 2016. But do you see what I am driving at...

Brandon Miller is the kid coming back from a mission in time for 2016. He's the guy who chose Utah over Harvard, where his brother plays. I don't know what will happen but it would not be good P.R. for Larry to offer him pre-mission then pull the offer post-mission.

I'm not a recruiting guy -- I don't have the patience or interest to keep up with it. But Larry has made Utah a hot program, and will not annually and publicly flirt with other higher-profile programs. In that scenario I'm really excited to see what he can do with recruiting. I think we can be as strong a program on a long-term basis as Arizona.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahFanSir View Post
    I would be interested in your collection opinion on potential transferees in 2015, while I really hope none do or have to. I just love this team and the makeup of players. Yet Delon Wright will leave a sizable hole in the roster. Also, I think Dallin B. is a monster, who will be missed. And then there is the Poeltl question: should he stay or should he go.

If any current players transfer, I think it would be Kuzma. I think he is getting passed up by Chapman, and it is reflected in the minutes and stats. He seems to want to be the man with the ball in his hands when he is in the game, and he hasn't shown that he is talented or maybe developed enough to be that guy on this team.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If any current players transfer, I think it would be Kuzma. I think he is getting passed up by Chapman, and it is reflected in the minutes and stats. He seems to want to be the man with the ball in his hands when he is in the game, and he hasn't shown that he is talented or maybe developed enough to be that guy on this team.
    I noticed a change in the way he played last night and I hope that points to something good. He played great D and got a number of timely rebounds. He was in position. He also dished the ball, while he took a few great shots when they came to him. This was not the case up until now. You are correct, BC and IW have taken his minutes. Kuzma gets clean up minutes, until yesterday.

Certainly, I have no idea, but knowing what little I know about K3, I believe he pulled Kuzma to the side and told him straight up what was going on and why. Kuzma is talented, but I think a tad bit lazy. In HS, dollars to donuts, the game came to him, and why not, he is tall, has good feel for the game, and he scored all the time. In the last half dozen games, he would do the same thing once he got in, hands up, calling for the ball, and when he did get it in rotation, he was quick to jack it up. I began to notice, and this is where you have to follow Delon, he was somewhat reticent to pass to Kuzma. And the kid began to move further back in the line for playing time. Sometime recently, K3 had a come to Jesus meeting with him, or so I think. Yesterday, we saw a different player.

So I agree with you except for that. I could be all wet about what I think I see. But in the next few games, look intently at him and see if you also think he is playing more team ball than Me ball.
    Last edited by UtahFanSir; 01-16-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You beg Kuzma to stay, because he is capable of filling Loveridge's shoes. I don't worry about Brekkot's impact on his minutes, because he's going to be THE MAN on this team after Delon leaves. But yeah, from what I've seen of Kyle this year, the game is too fast for him. Or he's got a little on-court ADD. He's not ready for steady minutes yet, but you'd rather be too patient rather than too rash with him.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hey, Tulane is on the way up! New facilities, winning games. I used to be a season ticket holder there. Saw a lot of bad basketball, but I had front row seats. The gym was tiny but fun. Probably only twice as big as a WCC gym.
    True story about Tulane. Roy Danforth, who was Syracuse's coach before Boeheim, led the Orange to NCAA Tournament berths (one of which ended in a trip to the Final Four) in last four years -- in a time period in which it was very difficult for eastern independents to get entry into the Dance. He was rolling. And he left Syracuse for Tulane.

The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

The most obvious candidates are the guys buried at the end of the bench.

Kuzma and JO come to mind. Except that JO will be the lone senior interior player (assuming Poeltl jumps - which is not certain).

I don't know after that. I don't see anyone who doesn't "fit" at this point. The closest I can think of would be JL. It would be hard to see him transferring at this point though. He could reclaim the mantle of "the guy" next year with Delon graduating.

Maybe the guys who are coming back from missions next year won't fit anymore.

But we still have half a season left. A lot of bad things can happen before K gets to the point where he has to make those kinds of decisions.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 01-17-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Kuzma has used his redshirt; hard to see him transferring. He will be our starting 3 once Loveridge graduates.

I could see JO being a fifth year transfer to byuhe would play 35 minutes a game for them
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I could see JO being a fifth year transfer to byuhe would play 35 minutes a game for them
    And we'd get at least one Dick Harmon column about what a great steal JO was for BYU. I still remember the Harmon column about how great a get Josh Sharp was for the Cougs.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2015 at 03:38 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Henderson graduated (and is playing in Qatar!). Again, only current NCAA players were included.

Henderson playing in Qatar?! Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I'd hate to see what happens when he gets busted there for drug and/or alcohol possession. Wouldn't be surprised if he disappears and resurfaces on some ISIS or AL Qaeda video several months later.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    And we'd get at least one Dick Harmon column about what a great steal JO was for BYU. I still remember the Harmon column about how great a get Josh Sharp was for the Cougs.
    Dick Harmon is essentially a BYU PR rep. He is a less vocal greg wrubell, more than willing to heap mountains of praise on every mediocre player who walks through those doors, especially if he was "stolen" from Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Dick Harmon is essentially a BYU PR rep. He is a less vocal greg wrubell, more than willing to heap mountains of praise on every mediocre player who walks through those doors, especially if he was "stolen" from Utah.
    I love Dick Harmon. One year he was grousing about what he believed was unfair seeding for BYU (if I remember correctly BYU was in the 8/9 bracket and proceeded to lose). He thought they should have been a 5 seed of something. I wrote him a quick email that simply said, "Your argument would have merit if BYU had actually won." He wrote me a personalized email that had I printed it would have been at least four pages long.

He is, if nothing else, prolific.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I love Dick Harmon. One year he was grousing about what he believed was unfair seeding for BYU (if I remember correctly BYU was in the 8/9 bracket and proceeded to lose). He thought they should have been a 5 seed of something. I wrote him a quick email that simply said, "Your argument would have merit if BYU had actually won." He wrote me a personalized email that had I printed it would have been at least four pages long.

He is, if nothing else, prolific.
    Lol!!!!!