Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: The Official 2014-15 Expectations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    There's a good chance that their upcoming basketball moment with the Lone Peak pipeline may come at one of the high points of Runnin' Ute basketball.
    I'll believe in the lone peak pipeline as soon as it produces anything meaningful. Tyler Haws is a fine player for the WCC. He can put up 25 a night there. But he generally struggles against good teams. Mika was ok as a freshman, but he was hardly something to worry about. Collinsworth (provo pipeline, same thing) is actually really good. So who else? Another Haws? Another one of that other guy, what's-his-name who used to watch Jimmer shoot? And a SG named Jackson who is 6'1" and is dumb enough to be considering Herb Sendek at ASU?

This will get your Ute hoops juices flowing:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'll believe in the lone peak pipeline as soon as it produces anything meaningful. Tyler Haws is a fine player for the WCC. He can put up 25 a night there. But he generally struggles against good teams. Mika was ok as a freshman, but he was hardly something to worry about. Collinsworth (provo pipeline, same thing) is actually really good. So who else? Another Haws? Another one of that other guy, what's-his-name who used to watch Jimmer shoot? And a SG named Jackson who is 6'1" and is dumb enough to be considering Herb Sendek at ASU?
    Haws averaged 22 PPG against P5 and ranked non-P5 teams last year, including two 30-plus point games against Pac-12 teams. He's a fine player in any league.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Haws averaged 22 PPG against P5 and ranked non-P5 teams last year, including two 30-plus point games against Pac-12 teams. He's a fine player in any league.
    I agree. He's a fine little basketball player. But he lost all or most of those games, right? What was his FG% in those games vs the WCC games?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree. He's a fine little basketball player. But he lost all or most of those games, right? What was his FG% in those games vs the WCC games?
    That's a change-the-goalposts rebuttal. Maybe his teammates struggle more against good teams and it drags the W-L down.

As for his FG percentage, he was lights out vs. Stanford and Oregon (first meeting), putrid against Utah and WSU, about average against everyone else.

That's a change-the-goalposts rebuttal. Maybe his teammates struggle more against good teams and it drags the W-L down.

As for his FG percentage, he was lights out vs. Stanford and Oregon (first meeting), putrid against Utah and WSU, about average against everyone else.
    I take it all back.

I would take any of those Lone Peak pukes on Utah - they are all worthy of a scholarship. But that doesn't mean they aren't pukes, and it doesn't mean they have yet to win anything meaningful in college.

Oregon jumps up to number 2 in the playoff rankings.

Arizona St. sits at #6.

UCLA at 11

Arizona at 14
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Lunardi has the Utes projected as a 5 seed. Is it wrong of me to say that unless there are some major injuries, that anything less than an NCAA tournament appearance is a failure this year? I'm also looking at this team and saying, we really should be thinking about more than just making the tournament and winning at least 1 game in the tournament.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Lunardi has the Utes projected as a 5 seed. Is it wrong of me to say that unless there are some major injuries, that anything less than an NCAA tournament appearance is a failure this year?
    I think that's a fair expectation.

I'm also looking at this team and saying, we really should be thinking about more than just making the tournament and winning at least 1 game in the tournament.
    Round of 32 is a fair expectation and would be a good year. Sweet 16 would be a terrific year. Anything else would be gravy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I would take Haws on my team in a heartbeat, but last year my observation is he struggled with physical play. Teams that let him take his shots without bumping him around a bit paid for it. I wonder if he has improved that aspect of his game, but any strategy I had around Haws would involve being as physical as possible with him as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Lunardi has the Utes projected as a 5 seed. Is it wrong of me to say that unless there are some major injuries, that anything less than an NCAA tournament appearance is a failure this year? I'm also looking at this team and saying, we really should be thinking about more than just making the tournament and winning at least 1 game in the tournament.
    If you play out the upcoming season 100 times, we'll make the Final Four more often than we'll miss the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I would take Haws on my team in a heartbeat, but last year my observation is he struggled with physical play. Teams that let him take his shots without bumping him around a bit paid for it. I wonder if he has improved that aspect of his game, but any strategy I had around Haws would involve being as physical as possible with him as I could.
    He appears to have peaked as a player. Some kids get better and better. He appears to have hit his ceiling. It is a decently high ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    He appears to have peaked as a player. Some kids get better and better. He appears to have hit his ceiling. It is a decently high ceiling.

Probably because he is not a kid anymore. I think he is almost 24 or so.