Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorcho and Applejack talk about the San Francisco Baseball Giants

the Orange and Black are just a machine right now (as are the A's). The Giants are playing as well as they did in 2010 or post All Star Break in 2012.

Interesting article from a Rockie's blog (are there Rockies fans? Sancho, can you confirm?): http://www.purplerow.com/2014/5/30/5...t-another-five

According to the author, the Giants are the luckiest team in the majors so far, in the sense that they are out-performing their average in "high leverage situations", i.e. runners in scoring position, etc.

Thanks, Lady Luck!

insert Tommy Petty's "Free Falling" song here

The Boys in Blue are 5 games behind the SF franchise and closing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Lincecum has a no-no bid alive through seven innings against the Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lincecum has a no-no bid alive through seven innings against the Padres.
    And he's done it. Still hitting 90's with the fastball after 100+ pitches. Curveball looked nasty.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

technically Timmy's 2nd no hitter of the season.

He had one through 5 a couple of weeks ago, before Bochy pulled him for a pinch hitter. Almost was a staff no-hitter, but they gave up some hits in the 8th and 9th.

sigh!

currently the A's are so much better than the Giants its hard to watch. It's almost like one of those major league vs. AA ball pre-season exhibitions.

Cain done for 2014

Elbow surgery to remove bone spurs, out 3 months.

I went to the Giants-Nats game on Saturday to watch the Freak pitch. It was also Pac-12 night at the ballpark (although I didn't see any evidence of that). Lincecum got shelled. I think the talk of Timmy being "back" is overblown - he's the weak link in the rotation right now.

I went to the Giants-Nats game on Saturday to watch the Freak pitch. It was also Pac-12 night at the ballpark (although I didn't see any evidence of that). Lincecum got shelled. I think the talk of Timmy being "back" is overblown - he's the weak link in the rotation right now.
    Didn't they decide to move him to the bullpen?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    last year they signed him to a 2 year $30 million dollar contract, he's too expensive for the bullpen. He's been good at home and horrific on the road.

They did (on Monday). It's the right move, if only to get him out of the starting rotation. The Nats were absolutely peppering the ball in the first three innings with Timmy on the mound. It was hard to watch.

They did (on Monday). It's the right move, if only to get him out of the starting rotation. The Nats were absolutely peppering the ball in the first three innings with Timmy on the mound. It was hard to watch.
    I was there as well, wearing a Utes hat. Saw some PAC-12 folks. A chance to see my favorite and third favorite BB teams. Twas a fun game

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    I was there as well, wearing a Utes hat. Saw some PAC-12 folks. A chance to see my favorite and third favorite BB teams. Twas a fun game
    Oh, man! I would have flashed a U at you, if I'd seen you. I guess you weren't sitting in the right field nosebleeds.

Oh, man! I would have flashed a U at you, if I'd seen you. I guess you weren't sitting in the right field nosebleeds.
    Ah, thanks, love having flashers.... uh, having the U shown to me. I like the Red Porch. First couple of rows, great fun and RED!

Bumgarner! We're coming for you Nats!

Applejack, did you see this feature on Kruk and Kuip? I had no idea Krukow was having health issues?

Kruik, Kup and Miller are among the best in the business.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...w-duane-kuiper

Giants up 2-0 in Game 1. World Series, here we come!

air_b08ecb_116266.gif

Bochy is an okay/above average regular season manager, but he is a magician when it comes to the post season.

Giants have won 7 playoff series in a row. And this is without 3 of their main players - Matt Cain, Angel Pagan and Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm sure it's still big for you two, but who is America supposed to root for when we have two teams that have won multiple recent World Series? Whoever comes out of the ALCS will be America's team.
    I agree that the AL winner will have America's sympathies. I like the Royals. I like the Orioles. Hell, I even like the Cardinals.

Let's just celebrate that we don't have to deal with the Dodgers/Angels/Yankees/Red Sox bandwagon this year!

Is there an Angels bandwagon?

Stinking Royals might have 2 WS rings in the time since the Tigers last won one.
    I just assume every team in Southern California only has bandwagon fans. I think this assumption holds true in nearly every case. I've been to more Angels home games than any other team - it always seems like 20% of the stadium is filled with fans of other teams who moved to SoCal for the weather.

Oh, I get it now. I thought you were talking about nation-wide bandwagon fans like the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers.
    Do the Dodgers have the annoying "nation" that the Red Sox and Yankees have? I've been to some Nats and Orioles home games against the Red Sox and it seems like half the stadium is rooting for Boston. Does this happen with the Dodgers?

I'm sure it's still big for you two, but who is America supposed to root for when we have two teams that have won multiple recent World Series?
    The Giants, definitely the Giants. Next question.

(May the Cardinals and their insufferable #bestfans burn to the ground).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    The Giants, definitely the Giants. Next question.

(May the Cardinals and their insufferable #bestfans burn to the ground).
    Welcome aboard! Now go get LAUte to join.

The Giants are jerks and the umps were in their pockets. You heard it here first!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Giants are jerks and the umps were in their pockets. You heard it here first!
    Welcome aboard!

Do the Dodgers have the annoying "nation" that the Red Sox and Yankees have? I've been to some Nats and Orioles home games against the Red Sox and it seems like half the stadium is rooting for Boston. Does this happen with the Dodgers?
    It's different for the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs because no one wants to live in Boston, NY, or Chicago.

For the record, I am rooting for the Giants now. California team, West Coast. Besides, I've always disliked the Cardinals.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

MadBum is #1 all time in World Series ERA at 0.29

Bouchy is 33-13 as the Giants manager in the playoffs

27 outs away !!!