Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 recruiting class - already full?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Light the U reporting that 2015 grad Nico Clareth has been offered.

Balitmore kid, has an offer from USC and Charleston too.

Ah, this is one of my "favorite" things of the summer recruiting season. With such a limited number of basketball scholarships (and this year in particular for us), coaches cant afford to go willy-nilly with hard offers like you can in football to an extent. At the same time, aau coaches are always anxious to talk about who is offering their players, and to leak this info to recruiting sites. I wonder if this is a hard offer, or (more likely in my opinion) someone on our staff expressed interest and wanted to keep in contact and it got reported as an offer.

Well, this is some really really good news!

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/2014...-american-camp

Looks like Makol Mawien is down to Utah and Gonzaga, and is leaning toward Utah. This kid has the potential to be an elite rim protector. Close the deal, Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Well, this is some really really good news!

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/2014...-american-camp

Looks like Makol Mawien is down to Utah and Gonzaga, and is leaning toward Utah. This kid has the potential to be an elite rim protector. Close the deal, Larry!
    A program on the rise that plays relevant opponents every year versus a program in decline that plays in an afterthought conference. I like our chances here.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.

The Utes lose Bachinski and Wright and have 1 scholie currently in the pocket. Is the thinking 1 big guy, 1 wing and 1 pg?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The Utes lose Bachinski and Wright and have 1 scholie currently in the pocket. Is the thinking 1 big guy, 1 wing and 1 pg?
    I think so. With mm, noah t and brandon miller coming home, wed have just that.

I think so. With mm, noah t and brandon miller coming home, wed have just that.
    I am asking because I don't know, but can miller play at this level ? IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.

IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.
    I agree, but what does that have to do with Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree, but what does that have to do with Miller?
    Van dyke was a better high school player than miller and more athletic. If he was overwhelmed . . .

I am asking because I don't know, but can miller play at this level ? IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.
    I have no idea. I do know that the kid can flat out shoot. Also know that he has a little brother who is a top 150 guy.

A program on the rise that plays relevant opponents every year versus a program in decline that plays in an afterthought conference. I like our chances here.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Gonzaga is in decline? Hey, I'm all for making the best case possible for Utah when it comes to recruiting, but this is a moronic claim to make. Especially since our season was ended by a team that the Zags slap around for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Gonzaga is in decline? Hey, I'm all for making the best case possible for Utah when it comes to recruiting, but this is a moronic claim to make. Especially since our season was ended by a team that the Zags slap around for sport.
    It's true though. It will take the rest of the world a few seasons to see it, but it's coming. They are the Boise State of basketball, minus the big stage wins that Boise achieved.

Thanks for the st Mary's reminder though. Complete debacle to lose in that way to that team. I need to remember that every time I think we're gonna be great next year.

I was thinking about what a big get Mawien would be, and it occurred to me how much of a footprint Larry and Co. have made in Utah.

Since being hired in Apr 2011, he has brought in.......

The #1 ranked in state recruit in 2012
    #3 and #4 in state recruits in 2013 (admittedly, there is a big gap between Mika/Emery and Van Dyke/Miller; I also think Jalen Moore at USU will be the third best player in that class)
    #1 in 2014

If Mawien signs, we will have #1 and #2 in 2015. We could get a clean sweep of the top 3 if Miller signs.

It's true though. It will take the rest of the world a few seasons to see it, but it's coming. They are the Boise State of basketball, minus the big stage wins that Boise achieved.

Thanks for the st Mary's reminder though. Complete debacle to lose in that way to that team. I need to remember that every time I think we're gonna be great next year.
    I do agree that Utah is objectively a more attractive program for Mawien than Gonzaga. And I am totally objective about this. Take my word for it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I was thinking about what a big get Mawien would be, and it occurred to me how much of a footprint Larry and Co. have made in Utah.

Since being hired in Apr 2011, he has brought in.......

The #1 ranked in state recruit in 2012
    #3 and #4 in state recruits in 2013 (admittedly, there is a big gap between Mika/Emery and Van Dyke/Miller; I also think Jalen Moore at USU will be the third best player in that class)
    #1 in 2014

If Mawien signs, we will have #1 and #2 in 2015. We could get a clean sweep of the top 3 if Miller signs.
    I would have to say that the Zeljaas kid from Bountiful who is committed to BYU and the Wade kid from Davis who is committed to Gonzaga (both 4 stars on Scout) are probably Nos. 2 and 3 behind Mawien in this crop of Utah kids. From what I have read on the kids from the State, I would believe the players would be ranked:

1. Mawien
    2. Zeljaas
    3. Wade
    4. Togai

Although an argument could be made that Zeljaas is No. 1 and Togai No. 3.

I would have to say that the Zeljaas kid from Bountiful who is committed to BYU and the Wade kid from Davis who is committed to Gonzaga (both 4 stars on Scout) are probably Nos. 2 and 3 behind Mawien in this crop of Utah kids. From what I have read on the kids from the State, I would believe the players would be ranked:

1. Mawien
    2. Zeljaas
    3. Wade
    4. Togai

Although an argument could be made that Zeljaas is No. 1 and Togai No. 3.
    I'd take Mawien over zeljaas just based on position and need. And from what I read, togai has a higher upside than the others based on athleticism.

I'd take Mawien over zeljaas just based on position and need. And from what I read, togai has a higher upside than the others based on athleticism.
    Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period. If he sticks with basketball, he could be an absolutely sick two way player.

Anyone know if he is going on a mission? I have not heard one way or the other which leads me to believe that he is not going, but I am not 100% on that.

Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period. If he sticks with basketball, he could be an absolutely sick two way player.

Anyone know if he is going on a mission? I have not heard one way or the other which leads me to believe that he is not going, but I am not 100% on that.
    I heard he was an immediate mission kid. I don't know where I heard that though.

Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period.
    Plus, with Togiai, I can keep hoping that the coaches will let him be a two sport star. Cant hope for that with some weird name kid from Bountiful.

Plus, with Togiai, I can keep hoping that the coaches will let him be a two sport star. Cant hope for that with some weird name kid from Bountiful.
    Thatd be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I heard he was an immediate mission kid. I don't know where I heard that though.
    Thanks for the info!

Few will have to leave before that happens. It's like saying BYU was going to be mediocre long-term in football in the MWC -- they simply have too many advantages over the rest of the schools in the WCC for the Zags to ever slip into a long-term malaise. Their 2014 class is pretty good, a 4-star kid from Denver and Arvydas Sabonis' son being the primary highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Few will have to leave before that happens. It's like saying BYU was going to be mediocre long-term in football in the MWC -- they simply have too many advantages over the rest of the schools in the WCC for the Zags to ever slip into a long-term malaise. Their 2014 class is pretty good, a 4-star kid from Denver and Arvydas Sabonis' son being the primary highlights.
    Yes, Few is gone. He, like Coach Petersen, knows the window is closing for mid majors. He will have to get out while his name have value. Two years, max.

I loved watching Sabonis.

Yes, Few is gone. He, like Coach Petersen, knows the window is closing for mid majors. He will have to get out while his name have value. Two years, max.
    I hadn't thought about it that way. It'll be interesting to see if you're right.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hadn't thought about it that way. It'll be interesting to see if you're right.
    I'm just spouting off. By now, we should all know I have clue what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't it be funny if he took romars spot at uw? He really would be the Chris Peterson of basketball.

I'm just spouting off. By now, we should all know I have clue what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't it be funny if he took romars spot at uw? He really would be the Chris Peterson of basketball.
    the difference is Chris Peterson can no longer get to the BCS bowls or the play off from Boise State; Few can still get to the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the difference is Chris Peterson can no longer get to the BCS bowls or the play off from Boise State; Few can still get to the tourney.
    That is why for recruits like MM and others, we still have a legitimate battle.

Agree with concerned. UConn just won the National Championship. It is not a BCS school. Butler has been to the championship twice lately. Wichita is right there. VCU went to the final four. Few can win at Gonzaga and have less of an expectation from the fan base. He likely isn't going anywhere.

Now, do I think the kid he got from Davis is that good? Not so sure.

There's actually a guaranteed spot now for a BCS Buster. It might be easier than it was before. Anyway, during his run, Peterson won many many more big games than Few has. You have to wonder if Few ever thinks about how he could do with a bigger school.

UConn just won the National Championship. It is not a BCS school. Butler has been to the championship twice lately. Wichita is right there. VCU went to the final four.
    I don't think you can call UConn's title a mid major championship. They were in the BigEast until a year ago. There was a recent sudden increase in the resource gap between the Big5 and the mid majors, and it will take a few years for the effect, if any, to be seen.

A couple of links for your reading pleasure today....

http://lighttheu.com/2014/06/basketb...ah-elite-camp/

A nice recap of this week's elite camp.

http://lighttheu.com/utah-basketball...iting-targets/

This is just a nice composition of everyone who has been listed as at least having interest from Utah.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014...radar-part-two

This is an interview from Gonzagas SB Nation site with Utah Prospects coach Lynn Lloyd about the development/potential/recruitment of Makol Mawien.

Looks like Makol Mawien has been invited to the Nike LeBron James Skills Academy next week. I have no idea how elite this is, but I am hoping that he does well (but not well enough to get a big time offer that he cant pass up!)