Thread: Local Radio shakeup

Local Radio shakeup

Looks like Hans Olsen is taking his talents back to 1280 the zone, starting next tuesday.

This leaves Bill Riley alone from 2-6 on ESPN 700, puts Hans on with Scotty G and reduces Riley Jensen to a "contributor".

After Spence Checketts left ESPN 700 a few years back, I liked Bill going solo. Outside of football, I find Hans to be lacking. If he really is doing a show with Scotty G, I can personally guarantee that I will never listen. That just sounds awful to me.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, other dominoes fall in this.

Would love to know the story there. Why would you leave drive time on the top ranked station for a midday job when no one listens? Because he gets to be the Kyle Gunther of that slot?

Surprised he didn't have a non-compete, but can make the jump immediately..

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Would love to know the story there. Why would you leave drive time on the top ranked station for a midday job when no one listens? Because he gets to be the Kyle Gunther of that slot?

Surprised he didn't have a non-compete, but can make the jump immediately..
    Guessing his contract fully expired and they offered more $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Guessing his contract fully expired and they offered more $$$
    Hans seems pretty frugal and I would assume that he made plenty of money in the NFL, so he might just want to have the afternoon slot so that he can spend the evenings with his family and not on the radio.

I think that Hans is very knowledgeable about football and pretty fair in his assessments of BYU and Utah (he carries little bias despite playing for the Y), but this addition is still not enough to make me listen to 1280.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Hans seems pretty frugal and I would assume that he made plenty of money in the NFL, so he might just want to have the afternoon slot so that he can spend the evenings with his family and not on the radio.

I think that Hans is very knowledgeable about football and pretty fair in his assessments of BYU and Utah (he carries little bias despite playing for the Y), but this addition is still not enough to make me listen to 1280.
    I don't listen to any of it. There's a reason I have a 160GB iPod for the car

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don't listen to any of it. There's a reason I have a 160GB iPod for the car

I'll miss Hans. He was good on football and seemed to carry no trace of zoobishness. ESPN 700 is the only Utah station I pay attention to. I subscribe to the podcasts of Riley's show and pick and choose the interviews I want to listen to -- almost exclusively Utah Utes-related stuff. I pay no attention to RSL or the Jazz. IMO the broadcasters on the other stations are all clowns.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Looks like Hans Olsen is taking his talents back to 1280 the zone, starting next tuesday.

This leaves Bill Riley alone from 2-6 on ESPN 700, puts Hans on with Scotty G and reduces Riley Jensen to a "contributor".

After Spence Checketts left ESPN 700 a few years back, I liked Bill going solo. Outside of football, I find Hans to be lacking. If he really is doing a show with Scotty G, I can personally guarantee that I will never listen. That just sounds awful to me.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, other dominoes fall in this.
    I don't recall what, if any, opinion I formed on Bill as a solo host the last time around. All I know is that I listened yesterday and it was not very good. He was talking to himself and it just felt like he was rambling. It wasn't very interesting. After a while he brought his producer, Gore, on probably because he realized he needed a second voice to act as a compass for his discussion. My guess is they'll add another person if for no other reason than because Bill misses a lot of shows when he is on the road with the Utes or RSL. I hope they get someone good, but I can't think of who is available in the Utah sports radio trend of recycling the same old personalities. Is it time for Kevin Graham to come back already?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I don't recall what, if any, opinion I formed on Bill as a solo host the last time around. All I know is that I listened yesterday and it was not very good. He was talking to himself and it just felt like he was rambling. It wasn't very interesting. After a while he brought his producer, Gore, on probably because he realized he needed a second voice to act as a compass for his discussion. My guess is they'll add another person if for no other reason than because Bill misses a lot of shows when he is on the road with the Utes or RSL. I hope they get someone good, but I can't think of who is available in the Utah sports radio trend of recycling the same old personalities. Is it time for Kevin Graham to come back already?
    I think that is ultimately why they hired Hans. Back when the old 1280 and 1320 merged, Hans was (in the minds of ESPN 700) the best of the folks who didn't make the cut. It is clear that Bill needs a cohost with all of his obligations which pretty much have him on the road year round. In football season, he was awesome and I agree with the folks above; he really didn't have any bias toward BYU. He called things like he saw them. In a market where the competing stations rely on drumming up BYU versus Utah controversies, Hans was a breath of fresh air.

Outside of that, I don't think the guy knows much. He clearly tries hard, but it is obvious that he is winging it most of the time on other sports. His serious attempts to analyze the play of RSL was downright comical.

As for who could be a potential host, I have to laugh as Kevin Graham was the first one that came to my mind too. Fortunately, I think Bill is smarter than to bring an antics guy like Graham onto the station. I am hoping for Rick Aaron. He is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and i think would do a great job.

I think there is a clear pecking order in terms of radio stations here in town. I don't think you will see ESPN 700 poach anyone from 1320 (no one really good enough to poach)

Should be fun to see how it plays out!

In sports talk radio and in saturated mid-tier markets like SLC, you can never underestimate the ability of your supporting on-air talent to sell advertising. I'm not talking about your program director (which is Riley's most significant title at ESPN 700; obviously, his title as VOTRU and VORSL trump that in terms of recognition), but I would be surprised if any of the STR stations in SLC can pay on-air talent a decent living wage based solely on their work behind the mike for 3-4 hours per day, and 1-2 hours of prep work. Obviously, this discounts guys like David James and Gordon Monson, who moonlight in radio and don't do it as their full-time job.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I think ColoUte is the man for the job. If not him, then Hot Lunch -- who has experience and really is a natural!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    In sports talk radio and in saturated mid-tier markets like SLC, you can never underestimate the ability of your supporting on-air talent to sell advertising. I'm not talking about your program director (which is Riley's most significant title at ESPN 700; obviously, his title as VOTRU and VORSL trump that in terms of recognition), but I would be surprised if any of the STR stations in SLC can pay on-air talent a decent living wage based solely on their work behind the mike for 3-4 hours per day, and 1-2 hours of prep work. Obviously, this discounts guys like David James and Gordon Monson, who moonlight in radio and don't do it as their full-time job.
    Good point. Hadn't thought of this. Hans is a good pitchman.

On friday, Keith Stubbs (filling in for Bill) announced that starting June 2, he will be on ESPN 700 daily from 11-1 hosting "Keith Stubbs Sports". Now, I have not heard any subsequent announcements, so I am left to speculate.

-We know that ESPN 700 is required to broadcast a certain number of ESPN radio hours per day. For as long as I have been listening (off and on since 2007), They have had 7 hours of non national programming (3 hours of Dan Patrick and 4 hours of Bill)

-I have no idea what the requirements are, but if Stubbs is doing 2 hours a day, I have to assume that Bill is going to cut his own show down to two hours per day.

In theory, perhaps they will have a lineup like this:

Mike and Mike 4-8
    Dan Patrick 8-11
    Stubbs 11-1
    Cowherd 1-4
    Bill 4-6

Also, from what I gathered by reading the salt lake tribune, it sounds like Hans and Scotty G will have their show between 12-3 each day while Jake and Tony will be reduced to two hours (10-12).

That is too bad. I liked listening to jake and tony in my car at lunch time. I feel like Jake is at his best when he can just talk sports and not have to spend his time trying to reign in his cohost's ego (a task with which he failed at miserably when he was next to Monson). They troll from time to time, but they are not the pot stirrers that some others are.

I have said before that I will give every new show a chance. And I am going to have to break that with Hans and Scotty G. Ill wait for your feedback my friends and maybe someday ill try it, but that just sounds like absolutely awful radio.

Yesterday I stood in line next to Mike golic waiting for a car. Man he is tall.

Bill Riley announced that he has hired former SUU T-Bird/Utah Ute/Weber St. Wildcat/1280 morning host Sean Oconnel to be his new cohost.

After not making the cut during the merger, OC found himself in the bay area at a second tier radio station until january, wehn his contract was not renewed.

Bill Riley announced that he has hired former SUU T-Bird/Utah Ute/Weber St. Wildcat/1280 morning host Sean Oconnel to be his new cohost.

After not making the cut during the merger, OC found himself in the bay area at a second tier radio station until january, wehn his contract was not renewed.
    I really liked OC when he was with Gunther. He has been fighting MMA the last little while. He lost his most recent fight just a few weeks ago. That should be a good mix of professionalism (Bill Riley) and experience/funny man(Sean).

I really liked OC when he was with Gunther. He has been fighting MMA the last little while. He lost his most recent fight just a few weeks ago. That should be a good mix of professionalism (Bill Riley) and experience/funny man(Sean).
    I agree. For whatever reason, Hans and OC just bored me. Looking forward to giving their show a try.

Bill tweets out that the new ESPN 700 lineup will be:

4-8 Mike and Mike
    8-11 Dan Patrick
    11-1 Keith Stubbs
    1-3 The Herd
    3-7 Bill and OC

I have no idea what Gunther and Ben Anderson do, but I wonder if Bill and OC will do what Spence and Gordon do, do their show between 3-6 and then a replay of the best sound bites from 6-7. Either way, that is a solid lineup.

I also thought that Bill and Hans were too dull, and that Bill should have teamed up with Gunther when that last shakeup happened. Hopefully OC will be more entertaining. Who is Keith Stubbs?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Who is Keith Stubbs?
    He is (or apparently was) a country radio DJ. He also owns the wise guys comedy clubs in Utah. I didn't know that he was into sports.

He is (or apparently was) a country radio DJ. He also owns the wise guys comedy clubs in Utah. I didn't know that he was into sports.
    A few years ago, he was the go to guy anytime Gordon Monson or Jake Scott or Kevin Graham wnet on vacation. This was when 1280 was in the same building as 1015 the eagle where Stubbs worked. He has been doing a saturday morning show on ESPN 700 for a few months now. Really, really good guy.

A few years ago, he was the go to guy anytime Gordon Monson or Jake Scott or Kevin Graham wnet on vacation. This was when 1280 was in the same building as 1015 the eagle where Stubbs worked. He has been doing a saturday morning show on ESPN 700 for a few months now. Really, really good guy.
    He's actually a funny standup comedian too. He opens for some of the bigger acts at his club from time to time.

Well, it has been a week or two into these new shows and I thought I'd give my initial thoughts on each.

-I have really, really enjoyed the Keith Stubbs Sports show. It is a nice change of pace. In addition to sports, he talks some pop culture which is fun.

-Bill and OC, even though it is a week old, has been a huge step up from Bill and Hans. I don't know how to describe it.

-I heard a promo for "Hans and Scotty G" and really had to laugh. Hans was saying something about how Aggie fans can be excited because "these two Aggie boys have you covered". Lol. For the last two years, Hans has masqueraded as someone who cares about RSL and now he is going to do the same thing with the Aggies. Really, Hans is a his best when he is a football-only contributor or when he has a co-host like John Lund where they can make prank calls and pull other gags. I think this show with Scotty G is going to flop.

Thats just me though. How have you all enjoyed the new shows?

Well, it has been a week or two into these new shows and I thought I'd give my initial thoughts on each.

-I have really, really enjoyed the Keith Stubbs Sports show. It is a nice change of pace. In addition to sports, he talks some pop culture which is fun.

-Bill and OC, even though it is a week old, has been a huge step up from Bill and Hans. I don't know how to describe it.

-I heard a promo for "Hans and Scotty G" and really had to laugh. Hans was saying something about how Aggie fans can be excited because "these two Aggie boys have you covered". Lol. For the last two years, Hans has masqueraded as someone who cares about RSL and now he is going to do the same thing with the Aggies. Really, Hans is a his best when he is a football-only contributor or when he has a co-host like John Lund where they can make prank calls and pull other gags. I think this show with Scotty G is going to flop.

Thats just me though. How have you all enjoyed the new shows?
    I've subscribed to the Stubbs Cast podcast. Loking forward to listening while I work out or walk my dog. It doesn't look like Bill and OC have a podcast yet.

--Yeats