Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Going to Oahu

  1. #1
    I am so smart S-M-R-T Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Herriman, UT
    Posts
    52

    Going to Oahu

    In a couple of weeks my wife and I are headed to Oahu for a week, and was wondering if there are any must sees or little hidden gems worth seeing while we are there. We are already doing Pearl Harbor (and everything that encompases), as well as the PCC on the North Shore. Other than that we're going to play it by ear. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vecinity of senioritis
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    In a couple of weeks my wife and I are headed to Oahu for a week, and was wondering if there are any must sees or little hidden gems worth seeing while we are there. We are already doing Pearl Harbor (and everything that encompases), as well as the PCC on the North Shore. Other than that we're going to play it by ear. Any suggestions?
    IMO, Pearl Harbor is a must see. I wouldn't plan on rushing that. I'd spend an entire day there to learn the history and appreciate the significance of that place. I was unprepared for the emotional and, (dare I say it?) spiritual impact it had on me. I wouldn't rush it and I wouldn't plan "light hearted" activities around it.

  3. #3
    I just returned last week. I have not visited Oahu in 13 years and it is dramatically cleaned up over the years, especially around Waikiki. I was very impressed. (I usually go to Maui, Lanai, or Big Island)

    I would throw in a round of golf at Turtle Bay. Maybe plan to eat dinner at one of the little Thai cafes next to Sunset Beach, at Sunset. If you want drinks I recommend Barefoot Bar, on the beach at Hale Ko'a for nice atmosphere and live music, or hit any of the other similar restaurants or bars.

    Try to avoid eating at food chains ad much as possible, but make an exception for Duke's and maybe Cheeseburger in Paradise. Kobe Steakhouse on Ala Moana Parkway is nice (Benihana style). Honolulu has very good Korean restaurants too.

    I am a pilot and next time I go there I want to take a sailplane flight around the cliffs on the northwest side of the island.

    When you go to the north side of the island, plan ahead and take the roads that follow the beach instead of H2, H3, and Pali Hwy. They are worth it for the views.

    Traffic from Waikiki to Pearl City is very crowded. Plan ahead.

    Spend as much time in the water as possible, at as many beaches as possible.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Not Oahu (thankfully), but in Kauai. Snorkeling in Poipu Bay, the fish and reef was disappointing. But spotting this snowflake moray eel made the effort a success.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

  5. #5
    Booked a family trip to Hawaii for this fall. I know it's a risk, but r/t is $450 per person. Doubt I'll ever see that again. Airlines are allowing some flexibility with rescheduling if we buy now and it doesn't work out, so I'm thinking the potential benefit is greater than the risk. HI still has a 14 day quarantine in place.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Booked a family trip to Hawaii for this fall. I know it's a risk, but r/t is $450 per person. Doubt I'll ever see that again. Airlines are allowing some flexibility with rescheduling if we buy now and it doesn't work out, so I'm thinking the potential benefit is greater than the risk. HI still has a 14 day quarantine in place.
    We had a trip to Peru scheduled to leave Saturday 4/25. It has been rescheduled to late September. Although we will lose money, I don't believe my wife and I (who are both over 60 and immuno-compromised) will be traveling internationally until there is a vaccine. This has been on my bucket list for quite a while and we had added a 5 night backpacking trip on the front end along the Inca trail to Choquequirao, a lesser developed and visited area similar to Machu Picchu.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We had a trip to Peru scheduled to leave Saturday 4/25. It has been rescheduled to late September. Although we will lose money, I don't believe my wife and I (who are both over 60 and immuno-compromised) will be traveling internationally until there is a vaccine. This has been on my bucket list for quite a while and we had added a 5 night backpacking trip on the front end along the Inca trail to Choquequirao, a lesser developed and visited area similar to Machu Picchu.
    Sounds incredible, I hope conditions allow you to go

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Sounds incredible, I hope conditions allow you to go
    We have been able to postpone until May 2021 although we will need to pay $450 pp for some accommodations that are unwilling to allow refunds beyond October, 2020. We were able to get complete refunds on airfare from American Airlines, so that is good news.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •