Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Soccer Thread or something like that?

The Soccer Thread or something like that?

Why did Mexico ever go away from the Aztec shield?

Here are the historical unis of all 32 teams:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...world-cup-kits

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This thread is now a personal journal for my World Cup thoughts.

The US looked great against Nigeria on Sat. Michael Bradley was as good as I've ever seen him.
    I'll co-blog with you.

I haven't focused on the World Cup yet, but it starts on Thursday! Let's get this started!

The U.S. did look good on Saturday, but I think they are toast - killer group + not much firepower on the squad = early exit.

I really wish I were there.

Oh, man. We all do. Brazil? How cool would that be?

I will be disappointed if a Latin American team (read: Brazil or Argentina) does not win the cup. How can you not root for Messi to have a huge tournament and cement his name with Diego and Pele among the all time greats? How can you not root for Neymar to explode at home?
    Sorry, I, like any good Brazilian missionary, hate Argentina. I'll happily root for Chile, Uruguay, Colombia, or Equador, but not those long-haired, beef-raising, cowboys.

I know. Mi hermanito went to Argentina and hates Brazil - and Portuguese, and Samba, and Rodizios - with a passion. For him, Iguassu falls is 100% Argentine.

I went to Peru. We have not played in a WC since 1982. I just root against Europe. Stupid tall Europeans.
    Does Peru have a rival? My friend went to Bolivia and will never root for Chile because "they stole our mar."

Does Germany's recent injury spell give the USA some hope in the GROUP OF DEATH? I doubt it, but it sure would be nice to advance to the sweet soccer sixteen.

One of my favorite responses to the group of death was from Dan Wetzel, who basically said "So, US soccer fans are up in arms because their team will play only 3 games instead of 4 in Brazil?"

Germany will advance, with or without Reus. Portugal struggled to qualify, but they have all the pieces to be good. So who knows what to expect? Ronaldo could have a field day against the weak US defense. I don't know a thing about Ghana, but the US has struggled against the physicality of the good African teams.

Good news for US - Portugal and Ghana are just as nervous about advancing as we are.
    here's my recipe for the USA advancing:

1. Germany dominates Ghana (10-0) and Portugal (8-0), so by the time game three comes up, they are already advanced.
    2. We get two ties: Ghana and Portugal.
    3a. Then, we either advance on goals if Ghana and Portugal tie and we lose to or tie Germany.
    OR
    3b. We beat Germany 1-0 because they are resting all of their players.

Could happen!

Soccer changes I would make:

1) Move back penalty kicks. I feel like this is a major weakness in the sport. Scoring chances of low probability are turned into almost sure things when there is a penalty in the box. Experiment until you find the sweet spot where a PK is only 80% likely.
    Why don't they do PKs at the spot of the foul? Then, if you got fouled just inside the box near the corner, you take a low probability shot from there. Also, whoever gets fouled should be forced to take the shot.

I can't believe there are still people getting away with calling Group G the group of death...Group D, my friends.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    I can't believe there are still people getting away with calling Group G the group of death...Group D, my friends.
    True. Poor Costa Rica.

We are pretty excited about the Copa here. I'm heading to both US v Portugal and US v Germany. I have two tix to the final in Maracanã as well and a few of my analysts have tickets to the oitavas e semis…so maybe they'll feel charitable and invite the boss (doubtful!).

It's starting to feel like a Copa here. I think the seleção is over-rated and Neymar is an unproven talent internationally, but unlike Messi, he plays well with the national team.

My favorite player for the canarinho is Fred…unsung hero who tends to come through in the clutch (embora que eu não goste do tri).

My guess is Holland gives Brasil fits in the oitavas and Chile is the dark horse da Copa…no idea who wins but I sure want the US to kick Cristiano Ronaldo's pansy ass.
    Last edited by Viking; 06-09-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Why did Mexico ever go away from the Aztec shield?

Here are the historical unis of all 32 teams:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...world-cup-kits
    Very disappointed with Spain's all-red uniforms. When I think Spain, I think red shirt and blue shorts.

I made an ESPN bracket predictor group. !Vamos vamos Argentina, vamos vamos a ganar!

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-b...ictor/2014/en/

group name: utahby5

password: 3431
    Sorry to break it to you, but Brasil will win it all. Argentina had their day of glory in 1978. Not this time.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but Brasil will win it all. Argentina had their day of glory in 1978. Not this time.
    Don't think so.

I agree. Brazil has not blown me away in the games I've seen. But at home, they are still the clear favorite.

Very jealous that you get to be there.
    Nate Silver is giving Brazil a 45% chance of winning the whole thing!

I made an ESPN bracket predictor group. !Vamos vamos Argentina, vamos vamos a ganar!

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-b...ictor/2014/en/

group name: utahby5

password: 3431
    Joined. I know jack-spit about soccer, but I enjoy the excitment and passion of the fans, and actually watch some of the more relevant or important matches during the world cup. My picks will be the equivalent of the secratary's bracket during march madness where she picks based on color and mascot.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I've got a 1 in 6 chance to win the UB5 group...feeling pretty good.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I've got a 1 in 6 chance to win the UB5 group...feeling pretty good.
    Just dropped to 1 in 7. Plus, I've got Bosnia in the final four, so I'm golden.

My buddy writes for this soccer site: http://the18.com/news

You all may be interested to read some of the previews etc...if that is your bag.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One more video to get this thing started:

Too bad that clip cuts off, there's so much more great stuff to it. "HOLDS IT...HOLDS IT!!!"

Brasil wins! Cheese bread for everyone!

AJ, should I use a z or an s in Brazil?
    tanto faz. (That means "whatevs" is Portuguese).

brazil looked very beatable today. They had better straighten up before Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    tanto faz. (That means "whatevs" is Portuguese).

brazil looked very beatable today. They had better straighten up before Mexico.
    Penalty looked almost fraudulent it was so bad.

Neymar is clutch...surprising but good for him

Julio Cesar is a serious weak link that could cost them

Mexico robbed in first half - repeatedly. Gio should be playing for a hat trick this half.
    If I'm Brazil, neither of these squads worries me. And if I'm Croatia, I'm pissed that I didn't get one point for yesterday's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Nate Silver is giving Brazil a 45% chance of winning the whole thing!

At FIFA fanfest in Copacabana. Unbelievable asskicking by holland.

The van persie goal was incredible.

5-1??

Ass whooping

We were w the dutch crowd. Was a blast.
    Not sure ive had more beers in my life!

Was so much fun....we wore official orange.
    Last edited by Viking; 06-13-2014 at 07:44 PM.

The Van Persie header was one of the best goals I've seen, maybe the best

What was that I said about the REAL group of death again?
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

We are FIFA fanfest in Rio for the US game

Want to know who is here? Thousands of Hispanics. Wearing the american flag.

Want to know who is not here? Any apparent member of the so called Tea Party.

God bless america.

BOOYWAH! What a result on the pitch! Payback!

Now, I'm not sure we can hang with Portugal or Germany, but if we can sneak out one more point, I think we advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    We are FIFA fanfest in Rio for the US game

Want to know who is here? Thousands of Hispanics. Wearing the american flag.

Want to know who is not here? Any apparent member of the so called Tea Party.

God bless america.
    OMG

Greatest game ever. I thot we were done but Brooks comes through...

What a relief! At 1-1, we were just begging the soccer gods to keep the tie. Brooks!

After almost a round, the top tier includes five teams: Germany, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Brazil.

The second tier teams have an outside chance: England, Belgium, Chile, France.
    It's not there now, but his Wikipedia page said he was the greatest American since Abraham Lincoln.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk