Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1158

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I like this choice the more it sinks in for his experience alone. I think this might even be a case of two coaches who have grown a lot since they were last together and it might even be a formula for something special. TT was a risky hire, and he did okay, but not great. Let's not forget this was his first exposure at a P5 level as a coach. Now we've got a guy who has probably forgotten more about football than I've ever known.

Let's bring back some 2008 magic.
    It's the first OC hire that makes complete sense that KW has made since Chow.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I had the chance to work very closely with Andy and the offense during his previous stint at Utah. I did self-scout analytics where you examine the offense from an analytical standpoint to try to see what opposing defensive staffs see. It was really pretty interesting stuff if you like that kind of thing. Anyway, Andy's strength IMO is that he really engages the offensive staff in all aspects of game planning. He and the WR coach each reviewed the personnel and schemes of upcoming opponents and came up with their own list of those plays that they each believed would work best given our personnel. The OL and RB coaches did the same for the run game. They would then sit down together and put together their game package. It was a very disciplined process that engaged each coach and resulted in a cohesive offensive staff. I'm excited to see how this season progresses.

Why Utah AD Mark Harlan felt Kyle Whittingham deserved a new deal

I'm growing, I guess, or maybe evolving. I'm feeling OK about Kyle. So as not to irritate AJ, I won't say anything about style.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Here’s who is speaking at the press conference in 10 minutes. Look at the name cards and draw your own conclusions.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here’s who is speaking at the press conference in 10 minutes. Look at the name cards and draw your own conclusions.

We're getting great rates on autos!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    We're getting great rates on autos!
    Jettas for all the players!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Jettas for all the players!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol!

Kyle will not coach forever. I'm guessing 5 more years tops. The list of potential replacements should include: Harding, Scalley, Jay Hill, Kalani. A lot can happen in 5 years and things will undoubtedly change. Some of these guys will not be available then and new people will emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Kyle will not coach forever. I'm guessing 5 more years tops. The list of potential replacements should include: Harding, Scalley, Jay Hill, Kalani. A lot can happen in 5 years and things will undoubtedly change. Some of these guys will not be available then and new people will emerge.
    Gary Anderson will be top choice.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Anderson will be top. If the Post
    Lance or Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Lance or Gary?
    Gary
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Gary Anderson will be top choice.
    I expect Whit to coach 4 or 5 more years. Gary's candidacy for the Ute job will depend on how the same timeframe goes for him at USU.

I expect Whit to coach 4 or 5 more years. Gary's candidacy for the Ute job will depend on how the same timeframe goes for him at USU.
    Yeah, and he has now established a record of instability that he will have to overcome. Seems a bit crazy after Wisconsin and Oregon State.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, and he has now established a record of instability that he will have to overcome. Seems a bit crazy after Wisconsin and Oregon State.
    I would think that of the people with obvious Utah ties (so excluding the hotshot up and coming G5 coaches who will be looking for a promotion whenever Whit hangs them up) Scalley would be ahead of Gary. Gary obviously has more experience and has had pretty good success, but Scalley's lack of baggage would put him ahead of Gary for me.

Gary
    Gary will be 60 if Whit retires in 5 more years. There are definitely coaches in college football that are that age or older (Edwards at ASU, Saban at Alabama, Rocky Long as SDSU). A quick search shows there are 18 active coaches that are older than Kyle Whittingham.

I would be willing to take a chance on Gary if he wanted to coach for 4-5 years more once he got to Utah. I think Scalley is still young right now, he has only been a DC for about 4 years. But in 5 years he might be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I would think that of the people with obvious Utah ties (so excluding the hotshot up and coming G5 coaches who will be looking for a promotion whenever Whit hangs them up) Scalley would be ahead of Gary. Gary obviously has more experience and has had pretty good success, but Scalley's lack of baggage would put him ahead of Gary for me.
    Gotta think Jay Hill is on a good trajectory to be a good candidate as well.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Gotta think Jay Hill is on a good trajectory to be a good candidate as well.
    How often to FCS coaches get P5 head coaching jobs? It seems like, for whatever reason, P5 coordinator to P5 head coach is much, much more common than FCS head coach to P5 head coach.

How often to FCS coaches get P5 head coaching jobs? It seems like, for whatever reason, P5 coordinator to P5 head coach is much, much more common than FCS head coach to P5 head coach.
    I said trajectory, not that he’s ready right now. If they do well this year, I could see him getting an offer to step up somewhere like an MWC school. If he continues to have success for the next 5 years, he could be in a position to be ready.

That’s kind of the path Urban Meyer took (Bowling Green, Utah in the MWC, etc.)
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-12-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Yes, but if we're projecting out five years* then you have to think that there's a good chance that Jay Hill gets himself a G5 job and gets a chance to show what he can do. I'd agree that without that experience as a G5 HC or P5 coordinator Hill wouldn't be a very strong candidate. If we're projecting out several years then there are a number of people that have potential to emerge as candidates, like Brian Johnson for example. Kyle has developed a nice little coaching tree.

*We always seem to accept the idea that Kyle is only going to be at Utah for 4-5 more years, but I feel like we, as a fanbase, have been collectively adopting this idea for several years already and his retirement seems no more imminent now than it did three years ago (from my perspective at least). On the other hand, I can't think of a time I remember Kyle making a (serious) statement about how long he intends to coach and he does not appear to have lost his drive in the least (again, from my limited observation). I'm not sure we can rule out that the coach of Utah football coach in eight years won't be Kyle Whittingham.

Well let's all hope the short list goes far beyond those available along the Wasatch Front. I'd hope we'd take a run at a good coach like Matt Campbell. We can offer so much more than Iowa State. There's also always a few young guns to watch. Josh Heupel, Bryan Harsin & Seth Littrell off the top of my head.

Of those on your list, only Jay Hill has shown real promise as a HC. He's already made his "rookie" mistakes and seems to have righted a dumpster fire. In my mind, he's the clear leader of the four on your list. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Scalley as DC to Florida or Penn State or VA Tech etc..... for additional perspective.

As far as Kalani goes.....no way, no way and no way. He's fine right where he is.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Well let's all hope the short list goes far beyond those available along the Wasatch Front. I'd hope we'd take a run at a good coach like Matt Campbell. We can offer so much more than Iowa State. There's also always a few young guns to watch. Josh Heupel, Bryan Harsin & Seth Littrell off the top of my head.

Of those on your list, only Jay Hill has shown real promise as a HC. He's already made his "rookie" mistakes and seems to have righted a dumpster fire. In my mind, he's the clear leader of the four on your list. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Scalley as DC to Florida or Penn State or VA Tech etc..... for additional perspective.

As far as Kalani goes.....no way, no way and no way. He's fine right where he is.
    The danger with a coach like Campbell is there's nothing here to prevent a true blue blood from hiring him away after 2-3 years. He also is showing signs of being at Iowa State for the (relatively) long haul, a la Chris Petersen at Boise State.

I don't see how Gary is even the top Anderson for the future. Hire Lance, weaken a league foe, get a great defensive mind who will maintain the "Utah style of play" and maintain our status as the most LDS mission friendly school in the country.

Correct. Far more common for FCS coach to land a G5 job than a P5.

Our next hire will be interesting, with several tried and true molds being put to the test. We've never had an alum as HC, nor have we had a black HC. Coordinator hires have been rare, but two of the three that I'm familiar with (Mac, Kyle) were home run hires. I could see Brian Johnson being our next HC, which would check off all three of those boxes.

The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Everyone here knows that I have long been frustrated and critical of Kyle‘s approach to the offense. This 2019 season has been such a pleasure, and if he can keep this up, after all these years, I will be quiet forever about Kyle. In every other respect, he is the ideal coach for Utah, and my hat is off to him. I am glad he’s here, and look forward to continued well-balanced success while he is the head coach.

Kyle Whittingham has the Utes offense he’s always wanted for the first time in the Pac-12 era

Ludwig’s return may be erasing the biggest asterisk on Whittingham’s career ledger, how he was unable to find a consistent offense.
    Yep.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...gham-has-utes/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.

--Yeats

Everyone here knows that I have long been frustrated and critical of Kyle‘s approach to the offense. This 2019 season has been such a pleasure, and if he can keep this up, after all these years, I will be quiet forever about Kyle. In every other respect, he is the ideal coach for Utah, and my hat is off to him. I am glad he’s here, and look forward to continued well-balanced success while he is the head coach.

Kyle Whittingham has the Utes offense he’s always wanted for the first time in the Pac-12 era

Yep.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...gham-has-utes/
    I think I speak for everyone on this fair message blog when I say "Apology Accepted!" It is always refreshing when someone admits they were wrong with no caveats or asterisks.

We're so lucky to have Kyle.
    I hope there's a statue of him on campus someday. Preferably showing him calling for an onside kick vs. Wyoming, or shirtless riding a tamed cougar.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I think I speak for everyone on this fair message blog when I say "Apology Accepted!" It is always refreshing when someone admits they were wrong with no caveats or asterisks.
    As you are wont to say, LOL! I was not wrong in criticizing KW's long-time struggle with finding an offensive coordinator and identity. I am just thrilled that Kyle finally figured it out. What I was wrong about was my fear that he would not figure it out and Utah football would be on a plateau from which it would not escape while he was HC.

So that concern is now blessedly in the past.

--Yeats

As you are wont to say, LOL! I was not wrong in criticizing KW's long-time struggle with finding an offensive coordinator and identity. I am just thrilled that Kyle finally figured it out. What I was wrong about was my fear that he would not figure it out and Utah football would be on a plateau from which it would not escape while he was HC.

So that concern is now blessedly in the past.
    No need to clarify anything! Like I said, we all (on behalf of Kyle) accept your apology!

No need to clarify anything! Like I said, we all (on behalf of Kyle) accept your apology!
    Good. After an appropriate passage of time, I plan to forgive you for your serial snide and jerky responses to my very sincere original post from yesterday. You don't deserve it but I'll manage it.

--Yeats

Good. After an appropriate passage of time, I plan to forgive you for your serial snide and jerky responses to my very sincere original post from yesterday. You don't deserve it but I'll manage it.
    Sounds good. Then we can all revel in the harmoniousness in our mutual apologies (you for repeatedly speaking ill of the Lord's anointed, and me for snide remarks on a message board)!