Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
How often to FCS coaches get P5 head coaching jobs? It seems like, for whatever reason, P5 coordinator to P5 head coach is much, much more common than FCS head coach to P5 head coach.
Yes, but if we're projecting out five years* then you have to think that there's a good chance that Jay Hill gets himself a G5 job and gets a chance to show what he can do. I'd agree that without that experience as a G5 HC or P5 coordinator Hill wouldn't be a very strong candidate. If we're projecting out several years then there are a number of people that have potential to emerge as candidates, like Brian Johnson for example. Kyle has developed a nice little coaching tree.

*We always seem to accept the idea that Kyle is only going to be at Utah for 4-5 more years, but I feel like we, as a fanbase, have been collectively adopting this idea for several years already and his retirement seems no more imminent now than it did three years ago (from my perspective at least). On the other hand, I can't think of a time I remember Kyle making a (serious) statement about how long he intends to coach and he does not appear to have lost his drive in the least (again, from my limited observation). I'm not sure we can rule out that the coach of Utah football coach in eight years won't be Kyle Whittingham.