Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 1,081 to 1,109 of 1109

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    It’s been said many times but the two AZ schools combined have played 58 seasons in this conference and have a single Rose Bowl appearance.
    Two, actually. Arizona State in 1986 and 1996. Won the former, lost the latter (and the national championship) in the final seconds to Ohio State.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Two, actually. Arizona State in 1986 and 1996. Won the former, lost the latter (and the national championship) in the final seconds to Ohio State.
    Jake the Snake!

Just to remind everyone, and for the record, I don't think KW should be fired. I've never thought so. I do hope he retires at the end of his current contract because unless something dramatic changes, by then I will be even more tired of his coaching style than I am now. If he does retire after 2021 the day may come when I wish he were still the head coach. I'm willing to live with that if it happens. This is all just one fan's personal opinion.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I can’t bear to read this thread. Has anyone mentioned that we sell out every game? Football is a business.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I can’t bear to read this thread. Has anyone mentioned that we sell out every game? Football is a business.
    Indeed. And long may that continue.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Indeed. And long may that continue.
    Me not reading the thread or football being a business?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Me not reading the thread or football being a business?
    No, silly, the sellouts at RES.

--Yeats

Here is the breakdown for the last 5 years (with 2018 YTD):

ASU 21-21
    UA 20-23
    Cal 14-28
    CU 12-30
    UO 24-18
    OSU 6-36
    Stan 29-13
    UCLA 19-23
    USC 30-13
    Utah 23-20
    UW 28-14
    WSU 26-17
    I love seeing this, particularly with respect to Colorado. Sure they have only won half as many conference games as Utah over the last 5 years, but Coach Mac took them to the CCG (where they got pasted), so all is good because CU won the South.

Copper wins 5 games per year now. That is their new normal. But the stars aligned for them to go get their asses handed to them by Stanford, so Mac is more successful than Whitt.

It is crazy to see how many Utah fans (not necessarily here on this site) have Whitt on the hot seat for not beating the odds by a sufficient margin for their liking.

Copper has plenty of advantages over Utah, and they can't even match Utah's success. I fear that we are complaining about these times, wishing for better, but unable to recognize that this may be as good as it gets for Utah (until we expand the stadium, bring in $40M+ more annual revenue, maybe bend the rules a bit to stack our recruiting classes with more 5* players, etc...).
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-07-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Home Win % vs Road Win % Difference Since 2011:

1. Arizona State +35%
    2. Washington +31.1%
    3. Arizona +28.8%
    4. Cal +26.9%
    5. USC +24.9%
    6. UCLA +23.2%
    7. Oregon +20.7%
    8. Colorado +18.4%
    9. Washington State +18.3%
    10. Oregon State +18.2%
    11. Stanford +16.9%
    12. Utah +11%

https://twitter.com/WestcoastCfb/status/1059902097418670080

Of course. Almost all of the games are business now.

I don't think we're lamenting Kyle's inability to win a Pac-12 championship; I know I'm not. I think we're lamenting his inability to win the South, which history has shown to be quite easy to win in that every other team in the league has done it at least once. Hell, there are coaches that have been fired in our division who have won the South.

Greatness has always been about the QB at Utah, but Kyle has us built to win without being dependent upon great QB play. To completely fall apart against ASU defensively -- that's Kyle's calling card. We still had Moss, we still had the kicking game and we still got rolled.
    what was that?

what was that?
    Where's the monkey off the back emoticon?

This thread is kind of embarrassing. Can it somehow get accidentally deleted?

Anyone know what bonus Kyle gets for winning the south? And if he wins the championship game?

edit: found it. Nothing listed for winning the championship game.

• Conference regular season division title bonus: $90,000 if they advance to title game; $45,000 if they do not
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-18-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

Will someone one please pass the salt? Major props to KW and the team for grit, courage, poise and excellence and playing like champions!

B877397D-266C-4397-B966-BF8F91307B69.png

--Yeats

what was that?

I'm sorry ... did you call your shot that we'd win the South after we lost Huntley and Moss?

I'm sorry ... did you call your shot that we'd win the South after we lost Huntley and Moss?
    You, LAUte, and Chris Hill, you’re all weak. I would not like to be in a fox hole with any of you. This is you all:

http://youtu.be/dsx2vdn7gpY

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Su is being very gauche in this thread. There is no reason to highlight family squabbles during a great event. Very Trumpian.

Save it for toolblue who I assume listened to the game on the radio.

Those of us who love the Utes and the U of U are thrilled right now. We’re all proud of this historic team, who now have a great story. They battled amazing adversity — three bad losses, including two in the early season, and then, just as they were in the middle of an amazing turnaround, losing their starting QB and NFL- class running back— and they came right back to win their very first division title, in a gritty and joyful style. They shed their baggage — the November curse, the big game curse, the QB depth curse, the “overly cautious with a lead” curse, the “we have no offense or offensive identity” curse, and every other curse of the last 10 years, and now have a clear path to the Rose Bowl! It’s about this team and this coaching staff, who have figured things out and thrown multiple monkeys off their backs. Let’s forget our doubts and celebrate. This is a historic season!

--Yeats

You, LAUte, and Chris Hill, you’re all weak. I would not like to be in a fox hole with any of you. This is you all:

http://youtu.be/dsx2vdn7gpY
    SU, my Ute brother, haven’t I told you again and again to avoid posting late at night after too many appletinis?

--Yeats

Whitt mentioned as a possible replacement for Helton. Matt Wells also mentioned for the CU job:

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaway...070714502.html

Other college coaches? Chris Petersen was considered when Sarkisian was hired, but he’s entrenched at Washington. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell could be the fresh face – and outsider, no place needs an outsider more – that USC fans crave. (His buyout is $7 million, another big pile of cash). Utah’s Kyle Whittingham has been an intriguing name there, as he plays the style of football that USC craves and has been one of the West’s most consistent winners. (Utah State’s Matt Wells would be the top Group of Five candidate, but he appears a better fit for Colorado.)
    This season is Wells' big ticket to P5. He should take whatever offer comes. Who knows if/when he'll have another chance?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Whitt mentioned as a possible replacement for Helton. Matt Wells also mentioned for the CU job:

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaway...070714502.html

This season is Wells' big ticket to P5. He should take whatever offer comes. Who knows if/when he'll have another chance?
    Coaching is a crazy business. When the Aggies struggled early last year many people thought Wells would be fired and, when Andersen quit at OSU, the prevailing thought was that he would go back to USU. The Aggies rebounded, made a bowl and Wells lived to coach another year. We all know how well the Aggies have done this year and his name is being mentioned as a P5 coach. Another example is Dave Schramm. With David Carr at Fresno, he is OC of the year and two years later, with no QB, he is fired. He is back at Weber and they are also doing well.

The fire whitt contingent is a little grumpy this morning

:

Tic

The fire whitt contingent is a little grumpy this morning

:

Tic
    It doesn’t bother me when people bring up my misses. I do have a problem with the neener-neener mindset that looks for foils to torment immediately after a massive moment in program history. I’d rather seek out Zoobs or fans of other PAC 12 teams than my own.

Oh please. We are men. We need to air our wins immediately and not silently hold them, pent up for a decade, to bring them out at a family party for maximum effect the way our wives would.

Whatever happened to huskyfreenorthwest? Thanks for the win, duck man.

Whatever happened to huskyfreenorthwest? Thanks for the win, duck man.
    Oh man, he has been through some really bad times the past few years. I really hope he and his family is doing better. He is a terrific guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Oh man, he has been through some really bad times the past few years. I really hope he and his family is doing better. He is a terrific guy.
    Oh, that's too bad. He's easily the best zoob poster we ever had.

Oh, that's too bad. He's easily the best zoob poster we ever had.
    He’s more an Oregon fan than a BYU fan. Very good guy.

--Yeats