Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No one has confirmed Hill cancelled a vacation. In fact Dirk Facer reported the meeting between Hill and Kyle was a routine meeting a couple days ago.

And if you honestly believe Michigan had anything to do with this you've gone too far down the rumor hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You don't think Whittingham would have accepted the Michigan job?

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    You don't think Whittingham would have accepted the Michigan job?
    I don't think he was ever a viable candidate for the Michigan job.

The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'd love to hear from KW himself too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Per Piper, Liz Abel expects KW will have a statement in a day or two

UPDATE: Now saying by tomorrow

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 12-29-2014 at 06:14 PM.

I don't think he was ever a viable candidate for the Michigan job.

Why not? If Harbaugh would have taken one of the NFL jobs, why wouldn't Whittingham be considered?

Why not? If Harbaugh would have taken one of the NFL jobs, why wouldn't Whittingham be considered?
    Because he's not the type of guy Michigan wants after their last two coaches.

Kyle is a good coach. He's one year removed from two losing seasons. When you're trying to repair two poor coaching hires you aren't going to make a guy like Whitt your hire.

Well, good news. I like Kyle and am glad he's gonna be here. There were a few "grass is greener" moments the past few days wondering if a new coach would be a good thing, but in the end we keep a great coach.

Now we can turn speculation 100% on the coordinator positions. So far, our fan list for OC includes ARod, Anae, Mike Sanford Jr, one of the two OCs at TCU, Billy Gonzalez, the guys at LaTech, Marshall, ECU, and WKU. Ludwig. Someone floated a coordinator at Vandy, who apparently is Polynesian with Utah ties.

For DC, I've only heard Scalley and Orgeron.

I know nothing about position coaches at other schools who might be good candidates.

I suppose the statement could be read to mean, "Kyle's our coach, and if he leaves that's because he wants to go, not because we want him gone." I'm sure many will see it that way. We'll see what Kyle says. One possibility is that Kyle just doesn't want to dignify this stuff by appearing to take it seriously.

As for me, I am going to the basketball game tomorrow night.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I believe discussions have occurred, Chris Hill wouldn't be doing his job if they hadn't. That's a far cry from believing that either of them had agreed to something or even that they would consider coming. But if there were a possibility of Whit leaving one way or another Hill would be crazy (and not doing his job) not to reach out to them given their ties to the U.

I'm trying to understand how this would work in real life. Hill calls up Mullins and Andersen and says what? I may get tired of dickering with Whittingham and fire him? If I do would you be interested? Or, if I fire him will you come? You don't think Hill should care that either of these coaches would tell Whittingham about the conversation. Does he tell Mullins what he said to Andersen and vice versa? What about the fact Andersen was just hired by Oregon State? What do you make of that? Why do you think Mullins would want to move laterally or down? Is there a hotter prospect than Mullins right now? Are either Mullins or Andersen the type of person who would want to be Hill's decoy? Hill's not playing that game? If he really thinks he can get either of those coaches and he's reaching out to them, as you say, why not just fire Whittinham and hire either Mullins or Andersen? I can think of a couple of common sense reasons why none of this happened, if Hill is competent. First, it's just not done that way for a host of practical and ethical reasons. How many times do we see a coach fired or quit and a successor from another program promptly hired? Invariably the search process starts after the termination of the existing relationship. Second, it would exacerbate the adversarial relationship between Hill and Whitttîngham. Are the AD and coach supposed to be at war with one another?
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Hill doesn't contact anyone. Boosters contact Mullen/Mullen's agent, ask if he's interested. Answers are relayed. Hill sits in his office, hears back from each booster. Hill then asks Boosters about buyouts, etc. Hill makes a decision, then presents to boosters. Boosters agree or don't. Maybe they send Hill back to Whitt for more answers. More meetings, etc. then a decision is made, even if it's "Mullen is focused on his bowl game, ask again after his game."

As for me, I am going to the basketball game tomorrow night.
    I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Hill doesn't contact anyone. Boosters contact Mullen/Mullen's agent, ask if he's interested. Answers are relayed. Hill sits in his office, hears back from each booster. Hill then asks Boosters about buyouts, etc. Hill makes a decision, then presents to boosters. Boosters agree or don't. Maybe they send Hill back to Whitt for more answers. More meetings, etc. then a decision is made, even if it's "Mullen is focused on his bowl game, ask again after his game."
    Why does it work this way? So Hill can deny he was involved? Scratch said he doesn't care if Whittngham knows he did it. Do the boosters tell Mullins and Andersen that they're working on their own or on behalf of Hill? Themselves? Wouldn't that be a lie? Would that be professional and ethical?
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'll be there!
    My kids will be terrorizing the people in the top rows.

I hope you aren't wasting your Button Power on the mighty Saints of Carroll College.

Just my 2 cents on the whole ordeal...and it is a bit rambling. I really like Whitt, personally and as a coach. I think that he runs a very clean program. I love that all of the seniors already had their degrees by the bowl game. I think that the football program has been a shining star for the university and the state of Utah as a whole.

I realize that he is not perfect and there have been some glaring flaws (QB issues being the #1). However I think as a whole that Whitt has done wonders with what he has been given. He chose Utah over BYU, Tennessee, and other potential coaching jobs. I think that having a long-term name associated with your football program helps in recruiting, media and fan recognition. I think that Whit, like Mike Riley was at OSU, is looked up to by others in the conference and the football community at large. I see this as plus for Utah.

The transition to the PAC12 was harder than I thought it would be. We came in at the same time that many of the other programs were reviving. We are not USC, UCLA, Oregon, and to a lesser degree Stanford. And never will be. College football is a zero sum game. If you win then somebody else has to lose. So considering the uphill battle that Utah has faced the first couple years, I am exstatic at where we find ourselves.

I realize that you cannot have a losing record forever and retain your job, but I think Whittingham has earned the right, to have a few of those, especially considering the transition we went through. So to hear that Dr. Hill was ready to fire him after this season makes me angry. I don't want to become Colorado, Cal, or Wazzu where we dump our coach after three years because they cannot turn the program around (even though the cards are stacked against them) or the coach doesn't want to stay and jumps ship if he actually does turn it around. I want Utah to be a place where we care about family, education, and ethics. I think that Kyle has built that and the administration should give him ample rope to run a good clean program.

Now, if the rumors are true, I have lost a little respect for Kyle. It appears that his ego has gotten a little large to think that he deserved a raise or other compensation for doing what is expected from the program (9-4 should not be the ceiling but closer to the floor going forward). If he did run off Sitaki that is sad, and maybe the "family" mantra is more window dressing than what is really happening in the home.

So I guess I have lost a little respect for both Kyle and Chris over this whole recent fiasco. I expect more out of both of them. I will be a "Utah man" no matter who our coach is, but if I had my choice I would chose a clean respected program that is "still in the hunt" in November, than a flash in the pan with a decade of mediocrity.

Now like Solon said, Kyle get your butt in gear and get us some coordinators and some recruits!

Monson has a new column out, and he's sticking by his last column

It's obvious reading the new one all of his information is coming from Kyle's camp. (guessing his brother was a big leak and this why his Twitter is now private)

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2002990...elf?fullpage=1

The last time I checked, I am a Utah alum, not a Whit alum. Purportedly Whit is a good man and runs a clean program -- that's great; and, he obviously has done a lot of good things at and for Utah. Whit deserves much respect. Well, that respect also has been shown via a comp package that's well over $2 million per annum.

A lot of people have ceilings to their talents and skill-set. Has Whit reach that ceiling? I don't know. But, Utah's offense has been atrocious for several years, and the coaching carousel has been an embarrassment. Having run and advised a lot of sizable companies, the management of the Utah football enterprise has not been impressive to me. We have a pretty good defense, not stellar. Although we have (had) a few talented individual players, our collective defense has been ok. In short, I don't think Whit is the only answer to our football program. If he stays, great; if not, move on to someone else.

It's obvious reading the new one all of his information is coming from Kyle's camp. (guessing his brother was a big leak and this why his Twitter is now private)

Atta boy Gordon, double down!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I have a lot of respect for Kyle. I do not respect the way he has handled this and allowed his family/friends to handle it. Kyle thought the 9-4 season would buy him an extension and a bump in guaranteed money. Hill was of a different opinion. The 9-4 season, while great, means that Kyle has 1 winning season out of 3 or 2 out of 4.

While coaching changes are difficult, but I am starting to move to the opinion that I hope Whit leaves. Someone who would allow his family to undermine the program to improve his position is someone who cannot be trusted to act in the best interests of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Just my 2 cents on the whole ordeal...and it is a bit rambling. I really like Whitt, personally and as a coach. I think that he runs a very clean program. I love that all of the seniors already had their degrees by the bowl game. I think that the football program has been a shining star for the university and the state of Utah as a whole.

I realize that he is not perfect and there have been some glaring flaws (QB issues being the #1). However I think as a whole that Whitt has done wonders with what he has been given. He chose Utah over BYU, Tennessee, and other potential coaching jobs. I think that having a long-term name associated with your football program helps in recruiting, media and fan recognition. I think that Whit, like Mike Riley was at OSU, is looked up to by others in the conference and the football community at large. I see this as plus for Utah.

The transition to the PAC12 was harder than I thought it would be. We came in at the same time that many of the other programs were reviving. We are not USC, UCLA, Oregon, and to a lesser degree Stanford. And never will be. College football is a zero sum game. If you win then somebody else has to lose. So considering the uphill battle that Utah has faced the first couple years, I am exstatic at where we find ourselves.

I realize that you cannot have a losing record forever and retain your job, but I think Whittingham has earned the right, to have a few of those, especially considering the transition we went through. So to hear that Dr. Hill was ready to fire him after this season makes me angry. I don't want to become Colorado, Cal, or Wazzu where we dump our coach after three years because they cannot turn the program around (even though the cards are stacked against them) or the coach doesn't want to stay and jumps ship if he actually does turn it around. I want Utah to be a place where we care about family, education, and ethics. I think that Kyle has built that and the administration should give him ample rope to run a good clean program.

Now, if the rumors are true, I have lost a little respect for Kyle. It appears that his ego has gotten a little large to think that he deserved a raise or other compensation for doing what is expected from the program (9-4 should not be the ceiling but closer to the floor going forward). If he did run off Sitaki that is sad, and maybe the "family" mantra is more window dressing than what is really happening in the home.

So I guess I have lost a little respect for both Kyle and Chris over this whole recent fiasco. I expect more out of both of them. I will be a "Utah man" no matter who our coach is, but if I had my choice I would chose a clean respected program that is "still in the hunt" in November, than a flash in the pan with a decade of mediocrity.

Now like Solon said, Kyle get your butt in gear and get us some coordinators and some recruits!
    I generally agree with this. Well stated. I don't know if you'd call it ego or what, but it seems understandable that Whit would be sore after it got out that Hill wanted to fire him.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Kyle. I do not respect the way he has handled this and allowed his family/friends to handle it. Kyle thought the 9-4 season would buy him an extension and a bump in guaranteed money. Hill was of a different opinion. The 9-4 season, while great, means that Kyle has 1 winning season out of 3 or 2 out of 4.

While coaching changes are difficult, but I am starting to move to the opinion that I hope Whit leaves. Someone who would allow his family to undermine the program to improve his position is someone who cannot be trusted to act in the best interests of the program.
    Who do you anticipate will replace him?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Do people honestly believe any word that another losing season would get Kyle fired is a surprise?

That's the logical line of thinking. The shocking thing from where I sit is people thinking that's a surprising stance.

Do people honestly believe any word that another losing season would get Kyle fired is a surprise?

That's the logical line of thinking. The shocking thing from where I sit is people thinking that's a surprising stance.
    I'm not sure if that's the right question, but yes, I never took it seriously that he was on the hot seat. The table near the bottom of the linked article has his overall record. I think considering the whole of his career and record and what kind of quality program he runs in terms of citizenship and academics, it wasn't right for Hill to be telling people that if he went 5-7 again he'd be fired, especially with the transition to the Pac 12, quarterback injuries, considering Utah's place in the Pac 12 pecking order, etc., and the huge win over Stanford last season, which well past the mid-point was the highest quality win in the nation. As we see with Riley, there are 5-7 records and there are 5-7 records. Hill should have kept his own counsel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Whittingham

I don't know Whit, I have no personal reason to support him. I just want what's good for Utah. And nobody has convinced me that Hill can improve our coaching situation. Indeed, nobody will even address the question other than with incredible made up rumors about Mullens and Andersen that all but prove my point.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think considering the whole of his career and record and what kind of quality program he runs in terms of citizenship and academics, it wasn't right for Hill to be telling people that if he went 5-7 again he'd be fired, especially with the transition to the Pac 12, quarterback injuries, considering Utah's place in the Pac 12 pecking order, etc., and the huge win over Stanford last season, which well past the mid-point was the highest quality win in the nation. As we see with Riley, there are 5-7 records and there are 5-7 records. Hill should have kept his own counsel.

Well done, counselor, except for all the facts you're assuming that are not in evidence. Please tell me how and to whom Hill made it known that KW was out after another 5-7 season. Also, rather than agreeing with a point Diehard did not make, can you tell us how it is surprising that a coach with three straight losing seasons would be on the hot seat?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

That is mighty impressive, LA and SU. Keep it up and you could pedantically troll people professionally. I bet you could even bill hourly...

The #1 best chance Utah has to be successful next year is with Kyle Whittingham as the HC.

But as for the long-term health and success of the program, I just don't know the answer. I also blindly hold out hope that he will get the offense working efficiently and successfully, because blind squirrels and stopped watches, and all that jazz.

If he can somehow get over the hump with the Oh-fense we will have a very impressive 2015 season and Kyle will be shown to be a top-level coach and we should lock him in for life.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is mighty impressive, LA and SU. Keep it up and you could pedantically troll people professionally. I bet you could even bill hourly...
    OK, that was funny.

--Yeats

Well done, counselor, except for all the facts you're assuming that are not in evidence. Please tell me how and to whom Hill made it known that KW was out after another 5-7 season. Also, rather than agreeing with a point Diehard did not make, can you tell us how it is surprising that a coach with three straight losing seasons would be on the hot seat?
    My only source is Monson. If I really believe these things am I trolling? I guess I don't understand what trollng is.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Count again, LA, he'd(s) only had two.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Count again, LA, he'd(s) only had two.
    The Utes had 2 straight losing seasons before this season. If we had a losing season this year, it would have been 3 in a row.

My only source is Monson. If I really believe these things am I trolling? I guess I don't understand what trollng is.
    So you're admitting you're basing your stance on one side of the story?

The Utes had 2 straight losing seasons before this season. If we had a losing season this year, it would have been 3 in a row.
    Thanks for the help in explaining these complexities to SU.

--Yeats