Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Seems irresponsible.
    Just shows that football is not fifth with KW.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Whittingham to BYU rumors can only be good for Utah, right? I mean, this is the third time BYU has showed open desperation to hire Whitt away from SLC. Why would a recruit want to play for BYU's 2nd choice when he could go to SLC and play for BYU's first choice?

If I'm BYU, I release a "we respect Kyle, but we are looking to go in a different direction" statement before they end up being rejected again.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Whittingham to BYU rumors ......

What rumors? Is this what the locals are saying?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I haven't heard it.

All I've heard is the Navy coach, Anae and Sitake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a tweet from Gunther, a local radio hack, saying that Kyle is a candidate at BYU. It's not worth spending any time on.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Just twitter rumors. I saw retweets from some radio show host looking to drum up talk.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Still, he knows this is what BYU wants to hear. There's an assumption that Kyle would be BYU's top choice if he would really leave. Since he won't leave, it's great for us that everyone knows who the best coach in town is.

Still, he knows this is what BYU wants to hear. There's an assumption that Kyle would be BYU's top choice if he would really leave. Since he won't leave, it's great for us that everyone knows who the best coach in town is.
    The current situation is pretty funny. They're ecstatic that they have a chance to play us, and they'd love to have our coach. My, how the worm has turned!

--Yeats

Whittingham would be doing himself a disservice if he didn't take every offer seriously.

Fact: Kyle has never coached outside the state of Utah in a meaningful capacity.

Fact: Kyle is a BYU alum.

Conjecture: Does Utah State offer the challenge Kyle is looking for?

Conclusion: If Kyle is a HC anywhere else other than Utah, BYU is an overwhelming favorite to land his service.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Fact: Kyle has never coached outside the state of Utah in a meaningful capacity.

Conclusion: If Kyle is a HC anywhere else other than Utah, BYU is an overwhelmingz favorite to land his service.
    Opinion: He'd be crazy to take that job.

--Yeats

Conclusion: If Kyle is a HC anywhere else other than Utah, BYU is an overwhelming favorite to land his service.
    So you think KW would take the BYU job over the USC job if each had been offered? I cant imagine the he would consider the BYU job for the same reasons he turned it down in 2004--ceiling on possible success, cant recruit the type of athletes needed to run his defense, etc. Plus now there is a huge disparity in pay and the black hole of coaching an independent with no relevance after Sept. 30, generally crappy home schedule, nothing to play for and nothing to measure success by.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So you think KW would take the BYU job over the USC job if each had been offered? I cant imagine the he would consider the BYU job for the same reasons he turned it down in 2004--ceiling on possible success, cant recruit the type of athletes needed to run his defense, etc. Plus now there is a huge disparity in pay and the black hole of coaching an independent with no relevance after Sept. 30, generally crappy home schedule, nothing to play for and nothing to measure success by.
    Bronco mentioned this in his introductory presser at UVA. Said it wasn't a main factor of his departure, but that it is nice at the end of the year to look at the standings and see where you stack up against your competition.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Bronco mentioned this in his introductory presser at UVA. Said it wasn't a main factor of his departure, but that it is nice at the end of the year to look at the standings and see where you stack up against your competition.
    I wonder if we'll ever see Rose leave for similar reasons. Everyone seems to believe he was unhappy about the WCC. If he really can turn Haws Jr and Emery into 40 ft three point monsters, maybe he can springboard into something better. People seem to think the cupboard is drying up after those two jokers.

Plus now there is a huge disparity in pay and the black hole of coaching an independent with no relevance after Sept. 30, generally crappy home schedule, nothing to play for and nothing to measure success by.
    Not to mention dealing with BYU fans and living in Provo.

He was a win or two away from being a contender for the USC job, one of the top jobs in the nation. I don't think he's going down to Provo unless he decides he'd like to take a step down and relax at the end of his career, which is not what BYU would want out of him.

Oh, I think we can all put that one under the "Fact" category ...

I think all of those things rate behind staying in Utah and not uprooting his family (or leaving some of them behind).

There are definite down sides to it. That being said, if I may play the role of Debbie Downer for a moment: we really don't know what his relationship with Hill is really like. If the media reports happen to be true (blind squirrels and all that), maybe he really is sick of dealing with him.

Then it comes down to the lesser of two evils.

But, if that were really the case, you'd think he'd have jumped at the USC job.

All things being equal, you are correct. He'd be crazy to take the BYU job.

• Kyle is the best we can do for a head coach -- someone who is committed to staying here and is willing to work with the inherent financial and recruiting limitations, not using the job as a stepping stone.

If you're looking for "our Lavell", then you're right.

I'm not against having another Urban in SLC. Two years of that kind of coach (and he'd stick around for more, because the Pac-12>>>>>> MWC) can get you a Rose Bowl or a spot in the playoff. Maybe a national title. I think our fans take those opportunities for granted. Ask Cal, Oregon State or Arizona what they would do for such a game-changer.

We are a huge underdog to reach the heights in the next five years that we reached (and subsequently fell from) this year. Then again, if Mike Price can get Wazzu to the Rose Bowl twice, why can't Kyle (that's a trick question, don't answer it -- you should already know the answer)?

[/LIST]

If you're looking for "our Lavell", then you're right.

I'm not against having another Urban in SLC. Two years of that kind of coach (and he'd stick around for more, because the Pac-12>>>>>> MWC) can get you a Rose Bowl or a spot in the playoff. Maybe a national title. I think our fans take those opportunities for granted. Ask Cal, Oregon State or Arizona what they would do for such a game-changer.

We are a huge underdog to reach the heights in the next five years that we reached (and subsequently fell from) this year. Then again, if Mike Price can get Wazzu to the Rose Bowl twice, why can't Kyle (that's a trick question, don't answer it -- you should already know the answer)?
    Fair enough. FTR, if Kyle leaves for greener pastures, I'll be sorry for a day or two but I will look forward eagerly (and somewhat anxiously) to see what the next chapter will be. I'm not going to assume his departure will be a disaster for the program.

--Yeats

I wonder if we'll ever see Rose leave for similar reasons. Everyone seems to believe he was unhappy about the WCC. If he really can turn Haws Jr and Emery into 40 ft three point monsters, maybe he can springboard into something better. People seem to think the cupboard is drying up after those two jokers.
    Sancho,
    I don't know where Rose's thinking is now but when BYU made the change I can tell you that it was a fact he was unhappy about the WCC. Basketball, and other sports, were very unhappy that their status was really not considered when the school announced its independence. Tom Holmoe's relationship with coaches and their staffs helped keep things stable down there at the time. People think quite highly of Tom. The only thing that I can add about current feelings is that while the basketball team would love a Big 12 invitation and even prefer a return to the Mountain West, they feel fortunate to have a conference affiliation and to be positioned within the conference in such a way that an NCAA Tournament seed is well within their reach each year. When juxtaposed with where the football team is they'll take it.

Kyle to USU? That is a bit beneath his skill level but he would crush it. He would coast to 8 wins, and with a bit of effort and luck he would be in an NY6 every 3-5 years. Sounds like a nice 'retirement gig'.

Kyle Whittingham IS Utah Football. Period. Someday he will leave and we will be sad. If he leaves because the program isn't what he is looking for, then he really only has himself to blame.

But if he leaves us to go to BYU, then we will burn him in effigy on Sept 10 next year and will curse hos name forever.

When the news broke on Friday that Bronco was leaving, Gunther went to great lengths to explain why Whit would not consider moving to BYU. Topping the list was the pay cut he would have to take to make that move, next, the relatively low amount of money available for assistant coaches, not to mention leaving the Pac-12 for independence, recruiting challenges, and on and on. But then it almost seemed as if he had to find a reason why it could still happen, despite the long odds, and he started talking about Bronco making more money at Virginia than Whit does at Utah. "You mean, the guy I've beaten four years in a row, and 6 of 9, makes more money than me?" This might be a reason for Whit to leave Utah for another P5 school, but even if the idea of Bronco making more at Virginia provides any motivation to leave, it certainly wouldn't be to BYU where he would have to take a pay cut. (I've heard some local media types speculating that BYU with the help of boosters might be able to put enough together to pay Ken N. more than he is currently making at Navy, which is somewhere between 1.2 and 1.6 million.)
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    When the news broke on Friday that Bronco was leaving, Gunther went to great lengths to explain why Whit would not consider moving to BYU. Topping the list was the pay cut he would have to take to make that move, next, the relatively low amount of money available for assistant coaches, not to mention leaving the Pac-12 for independence, recruiting challenges, and on and on. But then it almost seemed as if he had to find a reason why it could still happen, despite the long odds, and he started talking about Bronco making more money at Virginia than Whit does at Utah. "You mean, the guy I've beaten four years in a row, and 6 of 9, makes more money than me?" This might be a reason for Whit to leave Utah for another P5 school, but even if the idea of Bronco making more at Virginia provides any motivation to leave, it certainly wouldn't be to BYU where he would have to take a pay cut. (I've heard some local media types speculating that BYU with the help of boosters might be able to put enough together to pay Ken N. more than he is currently making at Navy, which is somewhere between 1.2 and 1.6 million.)

Puhhleeaze. We paid Bronco more than $1mm per year in the president's circle. Do you ready believe we don't have the money to pay a great coach??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Puhhleeaze. We paid Bronco more than $1mm per year in the president's circle. Do you ready believe we don't have the money to pay a great coach??!!

Why did Holmoe play the "poor me" card at Bronco's press conference? Why didn't he say what you just said?

Why did Holmoe play the "poor me" card at Bronco's press conference? Why didn't he say what you just said?
    He's a better negotiator than chris hill. Why do I have vip seats and DDD still doesn't know where he is sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    He's a better negotiator than chris hill. Why do I have vip seats and DDD still doesn't know where he is sitting?
    Better negotiator? Bad PR guy then. Why would he tell the world that the Y cant keep up with the P-5 schools? Why tell the universe of potential coaches (maybe 5) that they shouldnt expect the same things as at a P-5 school.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Better negotiator? Bad PR guy then. Why would he tell the world that the Y cant keep up with the P-5 schools? Why tell the universe of potential coaches (maybe 5) that they shouldnt expect the same things as at a P-5 school.
    Better negotiator. Keep expectations low. Hell, I'm not even a Mormon and I have 50 yard line tickets