Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Puhhleeaze. We paid Bronco more than $1mm per year in the president's circle. Do you ready believe we don't have the money to pay a great coach??!!
    The local media doesn't seem to believe it. I think it was Jay Drew that estimated Bronco's salary as being between 1.1 and 1.5 mil.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Better negotiator. Keep expectations low. Hell, I'm not even a Mormon and I have 50 yard line tickets
    You are still Mormon enough to know that $$$ speak, über alles.

You can buy anything you want in this world, for money...
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 12-09-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You are still Mormon enough to know that $$$ speak, über alles.
    That's not Mormon, that's life.

Someone, who is beyond excitable as a cougar fan, called me to say that Sitake was hired today. I have no idea; not a Mormon anymore

Puhhleeaze. We paid Bronco more than $1mm per year in the president's circle. Do you ready believe we don't have the money to pay a great coach??!!
    Yes. This notion -- that Mormon Daddy Warbucks types are secretly pooling their resources to pay the BYU coaches a king's ransom -- is right up there with the secret TV viewership data I've always heard about, showing what a huuuuge draw BYU is whenever it plays on TV.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

That's not Mormon, that's life.

Someone, who is beyond excitable as a cougar fan, called me to say that Sitake was hired today. I have no idea; not a Mormon anymore
    You are CougarFan enough to know who Sitake is and why you should be excited about him.

That was money well spent. Did you put it on your AMEX Black Card? You should have ponied up another million to keep Bronco around.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    That was money well spent. Did you put it on your AMEX Black Card? You should have ponied up another million to keep Bronco around.
    You're an idiot. I never said it was my black card. I would never pay the fees of a black card when a platinum has most of the de facto benefits. Keep trying, ute

Those of us who have an Amex spell it as "Amex", not "AMEX"

Those of us who have an Amex spell it as "Amex", not "AMEX"
    Is American Express still a status symbol? That seems very eighties to me.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    [/LIST]

If you're looking for "our Lavell", then you're right.

I'm not against having another Urban in SLC. Two years of that kind of coach (and he'd stick around for more, because the Pac-12>>>>>> MWC) can get you a Rose Bowl or a spot in the playoff. Maybe a national title. I think our fans take those opportunities for granted. Ask Cal, Oregon State or Arizona what they would do for such a game-changer.

We are a huge underdog to reach the heights in the next five years that we reached (and subsequently fell from) this year. Then again, if Mike Price can get Wazzu to the Rose Bowl twice, why can't Kyle (that's a trick question, don't answer it -- you should already know the answer)?
    I've got an idea. Let's fire Kyle and go hire us the next Urban Meyer, whoever that may be. That's the ticket. No sweat. And if he stays just two years, that's cool.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Is American Express still a status symbol? That seems very eighties to me.
    Which is where most BYU fans live.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I've got an idea. Let's fire Kyle and go hire us the next Urban Meyer, whoever that may be. That's the ticket. No sweat. And if he stays just two years, that's cool.
    You realize that's nowhere close to the tack I was suggesting, right?

SU is a self-hating Ute fan. Cut him some slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Your irony is less subtle than mine. I just wanted to make sure everyone got your point.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If Kyle Whittingham is more disgusted with how this season turned out than anyone out there, I have hope he'll get the offense thing figured out.

The defense we've had the last two years is what you expect out of a team that makes a playoff, and perhaps wins a national championship. It's also one reason why Kyle should remain our head coach for a long time. One day, and probably by happenstance more than anything else, the offense will be there, and with a top 20 defense that rates top 5 in turnovers forced, we'll have our magical season that generations will remember fondly.

Until he gets the offense figured out, he's always going to come under fire and it will be justifiable. As has been noted countless times, Kyle is the lone common denominator in the struggles of the offense. Hiring Erickson brought about a modest initial improvement, but even with a multi-year starter at QB, we could not build on that. That falls squarely on Kyle and no one else. Almost as frustrating as the offense's struggles is that the same story can be written about Utah football almost every year. Gary Patterson figured it out; there's no reason Kyle can't do likewise.

If Kyle Whittingham is more disgusted with how this season turned out than anyone out there, I have hope he'll get the offense thing figured out.

The defense we've had the last two years is what you expect out of a team that makes a playoff, and perhaps wins a national championship. It's also one reason why Kyle should remain our head coach for a long time. One day, and probably by happenstance more than anything else, the offense will be there, and with a top 20 defense that rates top 5 in turnovers forced, we'll have our magical season that generations will remember fondly.

Until he gets the offense figured out, he's always going to come under fire and it will be justifiable. As has been noted countless times, Kyle is the lone common denominator in the struggles of the offense. Hiring Erickson brought about a modest initial improvement, but even with a multi-year starter at QB, we could not build on that. That falls squarely on Kyle and no one else. Almost as frustrating as the offense's struggles is that the same story can be written about Utah football almost every year. Gary Patterson figured it out; there's no reason Kyle can't do likewise.
    I was ridiculed for saying essentially he same thing (although not as well). I hope Kyle has a few productive sleepless nights figuring out how he's going to fix the offense.

--Yeats

When Kyle retires (god forbid) who do we look to? Scalley, sitake, g Anderson, Brian Johnson? I'm watching the chargers game right now and Mike McCoy looks pretty good. Of course, he probably has bigger plans, but it would be good to have a Ute as coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    When Kyle retires (god forbid) who do we look to? Scalley, sitake, g Anderson, Brian Johnson? I'm watching the chargers game right now and Mike McCoy looks pretty good. Of course, he probably has bigger plans, but it would be good to have a Ute as coach.
    That's the staff right there. They can take turns being in charge, or we can have a lot of co-coordinators.

I hope Kyle sticks around as long as Beamer, Snyder, Edwards, etc.

Mike McCoy would be great. I can't imagine he will leave the NFL unless the Chargers severely screw up, or if he somehow bombs the next several seasons. Still, I think he had to be the first call.

The truth is the U will have a lot of money to play with and it isn't out of the question that we should be able to offer $3.5M+ to the right coach. The talent pool should be impressive, and there may or may not be any qualified candidates who are Utah grads.

I'm glad Whitt isn't leaving any time soon. It would be interesting to see if Gary can turn OSU around. Or how Kalani does at BYU. I know BYU fans say he loves BYU and BYU is a destination job, but after some of his recruits get hurt and if he was offered three times as much money...and didn't have to move, we'd see how loyal he is to BYU.

Kyle is not pleased with you bringing up his retirement...

kylw.jpg
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

kylw.jpg
    Hey, I am in favor of Sancho's lifetime contract dealio. I'm just preparing for the future. NEXT MAN UP.

Hey, I am in favor of Sancho's lifetime contract dealio. I'm just preparing for the future. NEXT MAN UP.
    Welcome to the club! Now we are three.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Mike McCoy would be great. I can't imagine he will leave the NFL unless the Chargers severely screw up, or if he somehow bombs the next several seasons. Still, I think he had to be the first call.

The truth is the U will have a lot of money to play with and it isn't out of the question that we should be able to offer $3.5M+ to the right coach. The talent pool should be impressive, and there may or may not be any qualified candidates who are Utah grads.
    Good thing we only aim for BYU grads.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

kylw.jpg

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    KW is a great coach. This might sound like smack at Utah but it isn't intended that way, I'm really glad USC didn't see that and make a run at him. The consistent talent that USC can get with a coach of that caliber would be very problematic for the rest of the teams in the P12.

On top of his coaching prowess he has another intangible of a great coach, does just enough to tweak other fans to where they don't like him. I loved Chip as much for his coaching ability as his ability to draw this disdain of other fans. I am sure there are nice guy coaches that everyone loves, but anyone that comes to my mind right now has a lot of people that hate them. Saban, Urban, Harbaugh, Bob Stoops all currently come to mind as the best coaches in the game.

I've said it a million times, but if Whitt went to USC, he'd be as good as Pete Carroll, if not better. His defense WITH an offense? Whoa baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I've said it a million times, but if Whitt went to USC, he'd be as good as Pete Carroll, if not better. His defense WITH an offense? Whoa baby.
    I am glad he stayed at Utah. And I am even happier that USC fans and supporters big-timed Whitt and didn't look too seriously his direction. Whitt with USC recruits would have been devastating to the rest of the conference.

Maybe our next hire out of byu will be Mike Leach.

Kyle is the only one I know of that can look intimidating in bifocals.

Kyle Whittingham: 8-3 in the Deseret Duel, 4-1 in the Rumble in the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Kyle Whittingham: 8-3 in the Deseret Duel, 4-1 in the Rumble in the Rockies.
    97 wins too!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.