• Cautiously Optimistic- 6-7 wins, going bowling, Kyle is safe

24 64.86%
  • Cautiously pessimistic- 4-5 wins, close losses, Kyle’s in trouble

3 8.11%
  • Pessimistic- 3-5 wins, bad losses, Kyle’s gone

0 0%
  • Sky is falling- 1-3 wins, death spiral

0 0%

Thread: Your Feelings so far about the 2014 team?

Your Feelings so far about the 2014 team?

Hope springs eternal during fall camp, when the offense and defense are beating up on each other. I have seen a wide spectrum of expectations from different sources. I thought it would be interesting to get the pulse of the board. Feel free to post comments if you have a different category or description, and/or your reasons for your choice.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I put myself in the cautiously pessimistic group.

I like hearing the optimism and news out of camp so far. I keep hoping as I review news to not see any serious injuries from camp like we have seen the last couple of years.

However, after the last two seasons, I am having a hard time buying into the hype. It's hard to put a lot of stock into some of the new names and faces. I want to beleive that we can't be bit by the injury bug at key positions for a 3rd year in a row, but since it has happened the past 2 years, it is what I am conditioned to expect.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I accidentally voted for optimistic when I really meant to vote in the kool-aid category, fyi.

I'm with you chrisenrut. I don't want to be that guy, but I'm snakebitten. Give me a 6-1 start and I might start to get excited.

I was down on our prospects in 2011, 2012, and 2013 but finally have some positive expectations. For those of you who drank the Koolaid during the Wynn years, what the hell were you thinking? Our QB literally could not throw, could not sustain a hit, and we had no backup. For those who thought that Wilson, who every single scout called a "project with big upside", would be good as a sophomore, what were you thinking?

For those who were disappointed by Wilson's sophomore performance, go back and watch his 2012 games. He was TERRIBLE at both running and passing. If not for a bunch of lucky drops should have been intercepted a ton in his freshman year. He was way better as a sophomore despite the interceptions. The trajectory of improvement is there and will continue like it does for every other college QB at this stage in his development.

The biggest issue this year is that the whole season is resting on Poutasi staying healthy, but that is a way better prospect than relying on Wynn's shoulder, Hays, or a project QB like Wilson in his first year as starter. If we beat ISU, Fresno, and Michigan people need to get excited.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I was down on our prospects in 2011, 2012, and 2013 but finally have some positive expectations. For those of you who drank the Koolaid during the Wynn years, what the hell were you thinking?

I was the same. After that Poinsettia bowl, I thought, "Woah, we have got a qb for the next three years."

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I was the same. After that Poinsettia bowl, I thought, "Woah, we have got a qb for the next three years."
    Yep. Even in the TCU game that season Wynn was a courageous gunslinger and actually had some success even though the Utes had already been blown out. IIRC, TCU still had its first team in (Gary Patterson being such a classy guy).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I was down on our prospects in 2011, 2012, and 2013 but finally have some positive expectations. For those of you who drank the Koolaid during the Wynn years, what the hell were you thinking? Our QB literally could not throw, could not sustain a hit, and we had no backup. For those who thought that Wilson, who every single scout called a "project with big upside", would be good as a sophomore, what were you thinking?

For those who were disappointed by Wilson's sophomore performance, go back and watch his 2012 games. He was TERRIBLE at both running and passing. If not for a bunch of lucky drops should have been intercepted a ton in his freshman year. He was way better as a sophomore despite the interceptions. The trajectory of improvement is there and will continue like it does for every other college QB at this stage in his development.

The biggest issue this year is that the whole season is resting on Poutasi staying healthy, but that is a way better prospect than relying on Wynn's shoulder, Hays, or a project QB like Wilson in his first year as starter. If we beat ISU, Fresno, and Michigan people need to get excited.
    Knock knock knock. Moose? Moose, is that you?

by the way, as the owner of all rights to use the phrase and metaphor death spiral, I just want to say its misapplied in this poll. 4 to 5 wins is a death spiral, 3 to 5 wins is death, and 1 to 3 wins is a cold cadaver.

I'm thinking 6-7 wins. I'm just excited for Utah football

This seems to fit here as well as anywhere. Quite interesting, IMO:

Pac-12 Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2014

It's not easy getting college football coaches to honestly comment on another coach, player or team. Most coaches don't want to give opposing teams billboard material, which is why there is a lot of coach speak or overused cliches used during the year.
    In order to get an accurate assessment of teams heading into 2014, Athlon asked coaches in the Pac-12 to talk anonymously about their opponents....

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Knock knock knock. Moose? Moose, is that you?
    Hardly. The Notre Dame game was the first real indicator that there was something really amiss with Wynn beyond the injury. The Montana State opener in 2011 was all the confirmation that was needed. Our conference got drastically better, and it was pretty clear that a lot of our senior players lacked the athleticism to keep up while our younger players lacked the experience. Those younger guys now have the experience. With the exception of losing Tim Davis on Offensive line, our coaching staff is also much better. This is a year that has looked like a better than average season from a couple years out. I think there is real cause for optimism this year when there hasn't been for the past few years.

While there were definite issues last year, such as with the o-line, on top of those Utah lost K Scott in the 1st quarter of the first game, then Wilson injured his hand and dealt with that for several games, then Wilson was done for the season. Even when Wilson was healthy, however, he too often tried to force throws, which led to too many INTs. If Wilson can stay healthy, and stop forcing throws, relying instead on quick, easy throws to playmakers, and if Utah can have more at WR than Dres, I definitely like Utah's chances of getting 6 wins.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I put myself in the cautiously pessimistic group.

I like hearing the optimism and news out of camp so far. I keep hoping as I review news to not see any serious injuries from camp like we have seen the last couple of years.

However, after the last two seasons, I am having a hard time buying into the hype. It's hard to put a lot of stock into some of the new names and faces. I want to beleive that we can't be bit by the injury bug at key positions for a 3rd year in a row, but since it has happened the past 2 years, it is what I am conditioned to expect.
    I'm almost ready to move to the Cautiously Optimistic group. If one of these last two games had been on the road with the same outcome, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm hoping a convincing win on the road at Michigan will be what this team needs to have confidence going into league play.

I'm starting to move from the "cautiously" part (6 wins) to "optimistic" (7 wins) in "cautiously optimistic".

This team has a determined vibe about it.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This team has a determined vibe about it.
    Well said!

--Yeats

We've played great so far. But getting to six wins is still a tall order. Here's what we need:

1. We have to beat WSU (home) and Colorado (road). This absolutely essential. But these games are late in the year (injuries!) and while we should be favored, it won't be by much more than a touchdown. There are no gimmes after Idaho State. We should have scheduled someone else like Houston, Middle Tennessee St, Nevada, Boise St, UConn, etc, etc.

2. We need to
    (A) Win 2 of 4 out of Oregon St (road), Arizona (home), Arizona St (road), Michigan (road). We are likely to be underdogs in 3 of those games.
    (B) Win 1 of those above games AND shock the world: USC (home), Stanford (road), UCLA (road), Oregon (home).

So, it's possible, but it is still a real challenge to get to a bowl game. Stupid scheduling gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    We've played great so far. But getting to six wins is still a tall order. Here's what we need:

1. We have to beat WSU (home) and Colorado (road). This absolutely essential. But these games are late in the year (injuries!) and while we should be favored, it won't be by much more than a touchdown. There are no gimmes after Idaho State. We should have scheduled someone else like Houston, Middle Tennessee St, Nevada, Boise St, UConn, etc, etc.

2. We need to
    (A) Win 2 of 4 out of Oregon St (road), Arizona (home), Arizona St (road), Michigan (road). We are likely to be underdogs in 3 of those games.
    (B) Win 1 of those above games AND shock the world: USC (home), Stanford (road), UCLA (road), Oregon (home).

So, it's possible, but it is still a real challenge to get to a bowl game. Stupid scheduling gods.
    Yep. I felt much better after the Fresno game but getting to 6 wins is going to be difficult.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

2. We need to

Wazzu is right after michigan.

I think we're better than we were through two games last year, when we knew our offense was improved and our defense could keep us in games. All of that came together in the Stanford game, then Travis fell apart physically on us. I think if a healthy Travis is our QB for 12 games last year, we win at least 7 (Wazzu, Arizona) and probably an eighth (ASU, bowl game?).

Our offense is even more improved this year because Dres has some legitimate help opposite him at WR in Ken Scott. Booker is a more dynamic back and what we lack for in creating turnovers, we compensate for with quite likely the best special teams unit in the nation. Yeah, the schedule is brutal, but I don't see any team getting out to 17-point leads against us, and as long as that's the case, we're dangerous. Only Oregon truly blew us out last year, and that was a 3-point game early third. Until someone other than the Ducks does that to us this year, I'm holding the line on 8 regular season wins.

Can't say. As usual, unlike BYU, I can't get their games on tv. I will give you my opinion when I see them in person on the 20th against Michigan. It will only be the second Utah game I will have seen in two seasons. I know y'all helped pay for the limo, but do you even get to ride in it at this point? Doesn't look like it.

2. We need to

I'm going to consume all the Kool-Aid and say that Utah wins 3 of their next four games (@Michigan, Wazzu, @UCLA, BYE then @OSU) to start the season 5-1. They will then notch one win against either USC, @ASU, Oregon, @Stanford and finish the season with wins against Arizona and Colorado.

i realize this is best-case barring any major injuries. This team has the talent and depth to do well in the PAC12 this year, especially when it appears that there are several teams that are probably going to take a step back this year from last.
    Last edited by SigmaUte; 09-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

I'm sticking with 6 wins being a successful season. I am hoping, however, that the law of averages sends some luck our way and that this team's obvious grit gets us to 7 wins or more. But that's hope, not a prediction or expectation.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
    That perches in the soul -
    And sings the tune without the words -
    And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
    And sore must be the storm -
    That could abash the little Bird
    That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
    And on the strangest Sea -
    Yet - never - in Extremity,
    It asked a crumb - of me.

--Emily Dickinson

--Yeats