Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pac-12 Survivor Pool Official Thread

Pac-12 Survivor Pool Official Thread

OK party people. I've always liked the idea of a survivor pool, but I don't watch the NFL so I'm at a severe disadvantage. So, I've decided to create our very own Utahby5 Pac-12 survivor pool. I've been kicking this idea around for the past few days and I think I'm ready to launch to the masses. Everyone on this board is REQUIRED to participate, even if you are a lurker, a BYU fan, or a googlebot. Thus, expect frequent reminder bumps each week.

I've tried to strike a balance between the simplicity of regular survivor pools (you pick one winner a week, can only pick once) and interest (I can't just let you choose "the team that plays Cal" every week). So, here are the basic groundrules:

1. Every week you have to pick one Pac-12 team to win against a FBS opponent. You cannot pick FCS games. Also, the team just has to win the game, not necessarily beat the spread.
    2. You post that selection in this thread BEFORE the kickoff of your selected game.
    3. If your selected team wins, you advance to the next week. If your selected team loses, you are eliminated and mocked.
    4. You can only pick each team to win once. So, if you pick USC over Stanford in Week 2, you can't pick USC as your winner in any subsequent week.
    5. You can only pick any particular team to lose once per year. For instance, if you pick USC over Stanford in Week 2, you can't pick against Stanford in any subsequent week, i.e. you couldn't pick UW over Stanford in Week 5.

So it's really pretty simple. You pick one Pac-12 team to win every week, excluding FBS games. You can't pick the same winner twice, and you can't pick the same loser twice. You'll note that there are 12 teams in the conference (hence the name) and 14 weeks in the season. So, if we get to Week 13 with more than one survivor, I'll make something up--this is called "beta testing" in the industry.

For handy reference, here is a grid of the Pac-12 games by week (this took me way too long to compile-the internet still has some holes).

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8 Week 9 Week 10 Week 11 Week 12 Week 13 Week 14
    Arizona UNLV @ UT San Antonio Nevada Cal Bye @ Oregon USC Bye @WSU @UCLA Colorado UW @Utah ASU
    Arizona St Weber (FCS) @New Mexico @ Colorado Bye UCLA @ USC Bye Stanford @UW Utah Notre Dame @OSU WSU @Arizona
    Colorado Colorado St @ Umass ASU Hawaii @ Cal OSU Bye @USC UCLA UW @Arizona Bye @Oregon Utah

UCLA
    @ Virginia Memphis @ Texas Bye @ ASU Utah Oregon @Cal @Colorado Arizona @UW Bye USC Stanford
    USC Fresno St @ Stanford @ B.C. Bye OSU ASU @Arizona Colorado @Utah @WSU Bye Cal @UCLA Notre Dame
    Utah ISU (FCS) Fresno St Bye @ Mich WSU @ UCLA Bye @ OSU USC @ASU Oregon @Stanford Arizona @Colorado
    Cal @ N'western Sac St (FCS) Bye @Arizona Colorado @ WSU UW UCLA Oregon @OSU Bye @USC Stanford BYU
    Oregon S.D. (FCS) Michigan St Wyoming @ WSU Bye Arizona @ UCLA UW @Cal Stanford @Utah Bye Colorado @OSU
    Oregon St Portland St (FCS) @ Hawaii Bye SDSU @ USC @ Colorado Bye Utah @Stanford Cal WSU ASU @UW Oregon
    Stanford UC Davis (FCS) USC Army Bye @ UW @ Notre Dame WSU @ ASU OSU @Oregon Bye Utah @Cal @UCLA
    Washington @ Hawaii E. Washington (FCS) Illinois Georgia St Stanford Bye @ Cal @Oregon ASU @Colorado UCLA @Arizona OSU @WSU
    Washington St Rutgers @ Nevada Portland St (FCS) Oregon @ Utah Cal @Stanford Bye Arizona USC @OSU Bye @ASU UW
    Last edited by Applejack; 08-24-2014 at 12:13 PM.

whoop here's my week 1 pick... Arizona
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Eligible week 1 games:

Arizona UNLV
    Colorado Colorado St
    UCLA @ Virginia
    USC Fresno St
    Cal @Northwestern
    Washington @Hawaii
    Washington St Rutgers

I also choose Arizona. But mostly because I hate the Rebls.

Ok, I just spent an hour and half trying to figure out my picks for the season so that I don't make any extra stupid mistakes. I feel pretty good about my picks until week 11 when I have Cal beating their bye week opponent.

I pick Washington State for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Ok, I just spent an hour and half trying to figure out my picks for the season so that I don't make any extra stupid mistakes. I feel pretty good about my picks until week 11 when I have Cal beating their bye week opponent.

I pick Washington State for the win.
    I like your dedication, Sully! There are a lot of variable in this. Bye weeks screw things up (four teams have byes in the championship week) and the no-common-loser rule (Cal rule) makes things tricky too.
    Last edited by Applejack; 08-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Washington St
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'll go UDUB

You have FBS and FCS reversed. I propose that anyone who already posted without correcting that flaw is eliminated.

Week 1: Cal to win.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 08-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Wazzu

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    You have FBS and FCS reversed. I propose that anyone who already posted without correcting that flaw is eliminated.

Week 1: Cal to win.
    Your proposal has been rejected by the committee. I also incorrectly have the utes playing at wazzup. I'll fix those and any other errors people find when I get on a computer.

Real men are waiting till week 6 to pick Utah over ucla.

Colorado

I will likely be out the first week and my BIL will mock me for picking against his alma mater.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Current picks:

Arizona: Applejack, MRD, Sancho
    Wazzu: Sully, Scratch, ChristenUte
    Colorado: Hostile
    UW: Scorcho
    Cal: jr84105

I typically get bounced early in these things too...so I'll go Colorado.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I should have mentioned that the winner of this most prestigious of contests will win a prize. It will be something Ute-related and probably something off of eBay. As an example, you might win this Josh Savage Saints practice jersey, this vintage 1998 final four snap-back hat, or this double gem Utes belly ring. Think of the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I typically get bounced early in these things too...so I'll go Colorado.
    An excellent way to continue the streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    An excellent way to continue the streak.
    DanHawkinsCHS.jpg
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Nice belt; for a cowboy formal.

Okay, I'll take a stab at this and go with Wazzu.

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    Okay, I'll take a stab at this and go with Wazzu.
    I love your avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Current picks:

Wazzu: Sully, Scratch, ChristenUte
    Colorado: Hostile
    What, my pick doesn't get registered? I'm guessing that this was on purpose because I am old. Wazzu!

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    What, my pick doesn't get registered? I'm guessing that this was on purpose because I am old. Wazzu!
    UPDATED:

Wazzu: Sully, Scratch, ChristenUte, Uteopia, UtahSTREET
    Colorado: Hostile, DnF

I'll go Colorado

Last update of the night:

Wazzu: Sully, Scratch, ChristenUte, Uteopia, UtahSTREET
    Colorado: Hostile, DnF, Diehard
    UW: Scorcho, Brian

So, you gonna keep track of who I've picked to win/lose? If not, I'm telling you right now that I intend to cheat.

Colorado.