Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gone Bowlin': Bowl thoughts & Potential match ups

Gone Bowlin': Bowl thoughts & Potential match ups

I want to know what your thoughts are on bowl destinations. Where would you prefer to go/matchup with. Could be a dream bowl or a bowl Utah is most likely to end up in.

Realistically I think Utah could end up in the Holiday or San Francisco bowl against a Big Ten team. Would be awesome to play Gary Andersen & Wisconsin in a bowl game. Would be ecstatic playing against several other B1G teams like Nebraska, Iowa, or Penn State.

I assume Ohio State/MSU will get a better bowl game so I left them out.

I know we should be thankful for any bowl game, but I really do not want to go to the Las Vegas bowl against a MWC team. It would feel like an empty bowl game to me.

Thoughts?
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

The Bahamas bowl

http://www.bahamasbowl.com

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    I know we should be thankful for any bowl game, but I really do not want to go to the Las Vegas bowl against a MWC team. It would feel like an empty bowl game to me.

Thoughts?
    I agree, but Vegas is probably the only bowl I would be able to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The Bahamas bowl

http://www.bahamasbowl.com

Damn, didn't know that even existed. Hard to complain about that location.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

I will go out of my way to go to a bowl game. I still regret turning down tickets to the Fiesta and Sugar bowls

Las Vegas would be my most practical destination as I'm seriously considering a mini vacay there right before Christmas to see Utah hoops vs. UNLV.

Past that, if it ain't the Rose, it doesn't matter a whole lot, although I'm fully aware of the history the Holiday Bowl has, both with our current and a former league.

I'm a little nervous about this thread's existence at this current 4-win point in the season. If we go on a 5 game losing streak, I'm blaming you Sigma!

That said, I'd be more inclined to hope for a good name opponent than worry about location. If we play well enough the rest of the season to get 7 or 8 wins, I think we would get a good opponent, and have a good chance at beating them. That would hopefully do wonders for our future with recruiting.

Now, back to my hand-wringing. . .
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm a little nervous about this thread's existence at this current 4-win point in the season. If we go on a 5 game losing streak, I'm blaming you Sigma!

That said, I'd be more inclined to hope for a good name opponent than worry about location. If we play well enough the rest of the season to get 7 or 8 wins, I think we would get a good opponent, and have a good chance at beating them. That would hopefully do wonders for our future with recruiting.

Now, back to my hand-wringing. . .
    I will accept full responsibility if we don't make it to a bowl game.

I agree with the destination/opponent sentiment. Especially considering 90% of bowls are played in good locations anyways. I don't know why, but I would love to see a game against Nebraska.

Mods, please lock this thread until we have 6 wins. Karma does not like to be mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Mods, please lock this thread until we have 6 wins. Karma does not like to be mocked.
    After looking up "bowl game" in the dictionary, being unfamiliar with this term, I agree. Let's wait until we get to at least 5, maybe 6 wins before we get too far down this road.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

This thread is open for business!!!

Rose, baby, Rose.

Below are the PAC 12 bowl tie-in's. The Rose Bowl is not part of the playoffs this year. Variables include if the PAC 12 sends a team to the playoff's or not. I beleive that each number gets to chose in the order listed, and none of them are based on conference rank (e.g. The Alamo bowl can choose a 6-3 Stanford over a 7-2 Utah). I see us possibly as getting the 4th or 5th selection.

i think it's a bit disappointing that the drop from selection 2 to 3 is from the Big 12 #2 to the B1G #6.

Pac-12
    If No. 1 isn't in College Football Playoffs
    1. Rose Bowl

2. Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12 No. 2

3. National University Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten No. 6

4. San Francisco Bowl vs. Big Ten No. 7

5. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC

6. Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West No. 1

7. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl vs. Big 12 No. 5
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Below are the PAC 12 bowl tie-in's. The Rose Bowl is not part of the playoffs this year. Variables include if the PAC 12 sends a team to the playoff's or not. I beleive that each number gets to chose in the order listed, and none of them are based on conference rank (e.g. The Alamo bowl can choose a 6-3 Stanford over a 7-2 Utah). I see us possibly as getting the 4th or 5th selection.

i think it's a bit disappointing that the drop from selection 2 to 3 is from the Big 12 #2 to the B1G #6.

Pac-12
    If No. 1 isn't in College Football Playoffs
    1. Rose Bowl

2. Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12 No. 2

3. National University Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten No. 6

4. San Francisco Bowl vs. Big Ten No. 7

5. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC

6. Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West No. 1

7. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl vs. Big 12 No. 5
    The Rose Bowl IS one of the semifinals this year along with the sugar bowl.
    http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/coll...f-schedule.php
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 10-26-2014 at 05:53 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

The Rose Bowl IS one of the semifinals this year along with the sugar bowl.
    http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/coll...f-schedule.php
    Oops, I read it wrong. But if the PAC 12 champion doesn't make the playoffs, it will be slated to one of the other New Year's Eve/day bowls.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/overview

Participants in the New Year’s Bowls

Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrangement (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the dis*placed champion(s) will play in the other New Year’s bowls.

The Fiesta, Cotton and Peach Bowls will host displaced conference champions and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The Selection Committee will make the pairings.

Whew....Glad I didn't jinx anything.

With that said, I'm hoping for the best obviously, but beyond New Year's six or playoff I would love any of the 2-4 spots. Great destinations & great opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Whew....Glad I didn't jinx anything.
    Me too. .

Personally I hope we get San Francisco, vegas, or Holiday Bowl. I can travel to any of those. Sun Bowl and Alamo aren't out of the question if we win out.

Alamo if we win out. Sun bowl is in the mix right now.

I saw one projection this week that had Oregon in the playoff with ASU and UCLA also in the NY6. If Utah were to win out we'd easily be next team in line for the Alamo Bowl (this scenario must assume a UCLA win over USC and Notre Dame may beat them as well, Utah and ASU would have beaten Arizona). Regardless of whether we win out, more teams in the NY6 will bump us up

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Alamo if we win out. Sun bowl is in the mix right now.
    Are there any random, East cost bowls that we might go to if the Pac is oversubscribed? Like the Yankee Bowl or the Anacostia Bowl or something? MRD is usually on top of these things...

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Are there any random, East cost bowls that we might go to if the Pac is oversubscribed? Like the Yankee Bowl or the Anacostia Bowl or something? MRD is usually on top of these things...
    Not east coast but Heart of Dallas bowl would be the one we would go to if we are the odd man out.

Not east coast but Heart of Dallas bowl would be the one we would go to if we are the odd man out.
    Uggh. No thanks, I'd rather go to El Paso.

Anywhere in California, Vegas or El Paso I'd be ecstatic about, along with the Cactus Bowl in Tempe, Jan 2. I was really impressed by how El Paso puts on the Sun Bowl - really well done.

Alamo Bowl I would be less enthused about, but I'd figure out how to get there.

Interesting game with bowl implications tonight: Cal @ USC. Cal is still one win short of bowl eligibility, but after difficult but winnable games tonight and next week against Stanford they finish the season against this pimply-faced team from Provo, so they seem a good bet to get to at least six wins.

Cal seems to score on everybody, will USC keep up?

What is better for Utah? Having Cal win, keeping USC behind Utah in the pecking order but adding another option to the PAC 12 pool of bowl eligible teams? Or having USC win and keeping them closer to Utah in the bowl pecking order but knocking Cal down further and perhaps reducing how far Utah can fall if they struggle in the last three games?

That is a two edged sword.

My opinion is having USC and Utah with similar records will knock us down the food chain of bowl games because most bowls would take USC over Utah. So we want cal to win.

Utah needs to win out. The Stanford and Arizona games loom large! Colorado isn't a gimme game either. This season ending stretch is great. I like our matchup this weekend. Low scoring win over stanford. Glad we get Zona at rice eccles stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Cal seems to score on everybody, will USC keep up?
    Cal has wins against OSU, WSU, Northwestern, CU, and Sacramento St. Their next quality win will be their first. There are 4 quality defenses in the Pac-12 - Utah, UW, USC, and Stanford. So far, Cal has played against only one, and UW held them to 7 points.

I think as long as we have a shot at finishing above 5th in the south, we need to pull for north teams over south teams. The division placement matters more to me than which bowl game we get. So go Cal, go OSU, and go UW this weekend.

Here is how I see it playing out.
    Let's assume Miss st, Oregon, TCU and FLa St win out.
    Let's also assume that Bama only loses to Miss st.
    Let's also assume that Colo St wins out and the committee like them more than Marshall
    Let's assume that Ariz st only loses to Oregon in the champ game and that UCLA wins out.

That puts Miss st vs TCU Sugar Bowl
    Oregon vs FSU Rose Bowl
    Orange Bowl Bama vs Ohio St
    Cotton Bowl Baylor vs UCLA/Ariz St
    Fiesta Bowl Colo st vs UCLA/Ariz st
    *Note I can't find a rule that says one conference can only have 2 teams in the big 6 bowls and playoff. Additionally please look at the top10 and my assumptions above before you go crazy*

This would leave the selections for the bowls looking like this:
    2014:

In this situation if we win out we get Alamo. If we beat Stanford or Arizona and Colorado then Foster Farms (San Fran) or Holiday bowls. If we beat just Colorado Vegas, Sun or Cactus. If we lose all three Vegas or Cactus

Let's also assume that Colo St wins out and the committee like them more than Marshall
    I thought this team had to be a conference champion? So CSU needs Boise to lose a game.

*Note I can't find a rule that says one conference can only have 2 teams in the big 6 bowls and playoff. Additionally please look at the top10 and my assumptions above before you go crazy*
    I think you are correct. A conference can have 3. That said, I think it's unlikely that that Pac-12 get 3, so shift the Utes down one rung in the bowl scenarios.

The Pac-12 has 6 bowl teams now, but it seems likely that Stanford, UW, and Cal will join the group. With 9 teams, we may need the Heart of Dallas Bowl as a destination (or even more if we only get one team into the NY6).