Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pac-12 Survivor Pool: Week 2

Pac-12 Survivor Pool: Week 2

After a bloodbath in Week 1, here are the 12() survivors:

Applejack, MRD, Sancho, midnight_shift, SoCalPat, Wally, Senioritis, Scorcho, Brian, LA, Orange, jr84105

An interesting Week 2 features l
    ots of road games, a potential Pac-12 championship preview, and a top-ten matchup with the Big Ten:

Arizona @ University of Texas at San Antonio
    Washington St @ Nevada
    Arizona St
    . @ New Mexico
    Colorado @ UMASS
    Memphis @ UCLA
    USC @ Stanford
    Fresno St. @ Utah
    Michigan St @ Oregon
    Oregon St @ Hawaii

A couple of notes:
    1. Arizona plays on Thursday, Wazzu plays on Friday, everyone else is Saturday. Let's try to have all picks in by Thursday.
    2. Scorcho, Brian, and LA are lucky to be here. They also can't take Oregon St this week (because they picked Hawaii to lose last week).

Good luck!

P.S. If you need to map the entire season, you can refer to the master schedule in the original thread.
    Last edited by Applejack; 09-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Arizona State.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Wazzou
    Last edited by jrj84105; 09-01-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Arizona State

This week is brutal! If Wazzu doesn't win this week, they certainly won't be favored in any games through week 12. This is also the best week to pick Utah for a while (other than WSU). And Colorado seems like a sure thing at Umass, until you remember it's Colorado.

So, I'm taking the safe route with LA and SoCal - Arizona State

Picks so far:

Arizona St - LA, Applejack, SoCal
    Wazzu - Sancho, jrj84105
    Colorado - Orange
    Oregon St - Midnight Shift

Still waiting on: MRD, Wally, Senioritis, Scorcho, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This week is brutal!
    This week is easy. No way CU, ASU, or WSU lose. Nevada is no Rutgers; the Pack struggled to score on SUU last week. UMass is FBS in name only.

Looks like everyone is saving Utah for the UCLA game like me.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This week is easy. No way CU, ASU, or WSU lose. Nevada is no Rutgers; the Pack struggled to score on SUU last week. UMass is FBS in name only.

Looks like everyone is saving Utah for the UCLA game like me.
    I agree that UMass is a joke in the FBS, but it is on the road and it is Colorado. I don't have as much confidence in WSU as you do. Currently, they are 3.5 point favorites. Sure, Nevada has been bad since Kaepernick left and they struggled with SUU last week, but it's in America's biggest little city.

I will take those scrappy Utes from Utah for the win
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I will take those scrappy Utes from Utah for the win
    Nice! Our first Utah selection of the year. I'm rooting for you to advance this week, Scorcho.

Wazzu - Sancho, jrj84105
    Colorado - Orange
    Utah - Scorcho

We are still waiting on Brian, Senioritis, MormonRedDeath, and Wally who are likely installing a septic tank, rehearsing soliloquies, eating grits and/or collareds, and watching rugby, respectively.

Colorado, brah.

Hmmm. WSU, AZ, or CU...

I'll take the Buffs.

Wazzu - Sancho, jrj84105
    Colorado - Orange, Wally, Brian
    Utah - Scorcho

OK, just senioritis and MRD left.

I have a feeling that not all 13 will be advancing to Week 3.

I have a feeling that not all 13 will be advancing to Week 3.
    As long as Scorcho advances, we will all be happy.

Everyone's moving on this week. It's a free week. A good chance to cross CU/WSU off your list. Not sure why you want to waste ASU so early when those two are there.

I agree that UMass is a joke in the FBS, but it is on the road and it is Colorado. I don't have as much confidence in WSU as you do. Currently, they are 3.5 point favorites. Sure, Nevada has been bad since Kaepernick left and they struggled with SUU last week, but it's in America's biggest little city.
    I think this week may be WSU's only FBS win this year. With Cal looking improved and without CU on the schedule, 2-12 is certainly in the realm of possibility for WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I think this week may be WSU's only FBS win this year. With Cal looking improved and without CU on the schedule, 2-12 is certainly in the realm of possibility for WSU.
    I don't like Mike Leach, but his teams always manage to outscore a few teams. They still have plenty of winnable games on their schedule.

Everyone's moving on this week. It's a free week. A good chance to cross CU/WSU off your list. Not sure why you want to waste ASU so early when those two are there.
    Because Hawaii on the mainland is far less a formidable opponent for CU than UMass is playing at home. (I'm basically telegraphing what team I'm picking next week by saying this now.)

As for Wazuu, they still get Cal, Arizona and Washington at home.

I think this is definitely the week to cross of WSU. They won't be favored in another game this year, with the possible exception of Cal at home. But I'm not convinced they win on Saturday. They probably do, but I don't like probably in Week 2 of survivor pool.

I think this is definitely the week to cross of WSU. They won't be favored in another game this year, with the possible exception of Cal at home. But I'm not convinced they win on Saturday. They probably do, but I don't like probably in Week 2 of survivor pool.
    Did you guys see WSU last week? They were not horrible. This week is a sure thing. Nevada is no Rutgers.

Washington St
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Did you guys see WSU last week? They were not horrible. This week is a sure thing. Nevada is no Rutgers.
    I think that WSU is likely to win this week. I also think Utah is likely to win this week.

But I'm not risking my internet-life on either outcome.

OK, it's the day of truth for the Wazzu faithful on the board:

Wazzu - Sancho, jrj84105, MRD
    Colorado - Orange, Wally, Brian
    Utah - Scorcho

I'm hoping we are down to nine survivors after tonight (unless Senioritis arises from his slumber).

I'm hoping we are down to nine survivors after tonight (unless Senioritis arises from his slumber).
    I wouldn't mind that either, even if it costs me the jersey.

I've got The Warshington State University.

It gives me great pleasure to have underestimated exactly how big of a steaming pile of turd Leach has built up in the Palloose. Suck it Leach.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    It gives me great pleasure to have underestimated exactly how big of a steaming pile of turd Leach has built up in the Palloose. Suck it Leach.
    Wow. I'm glad wazzu is retaking their rightful spot at the bottom. That's a really bad loss.

Bummed about the contest though. I really wanted to put it all on the line by picking Utah over ucla. Someone else do it for me.

Wow. I'm glad wazzu is retaking their rightful spot at the bottom. That's a really bad loss.

Bummed about the contest though. I really wanted to put it all on the line by picking Utah over ucla. Someone else do it for me.
    If it eases the pain any, the Josh savage practice jersey is no longer available on eBay.

If it eases the pain any
    It does, a little.