Thread: The transportation Thread... All things especially innovative wrt Transportation

The transportation Thread... All things especially innovative wrt Transportation

Learning about transportation and its innovations is one thing I am really interested in. Anyway, after listening to this podcast last december I came home and told my wife that our youngest child (18 months old) would probably never drive a car. So this thread is dedicated to cool innovations in transportation.

Honda's self driving car

Cadillac bringing the industry closer

Hyperloop one year later ... damn how I wish this would happen.

Super planes (size not speed) will hopefully reduce cross continent flights

Faster planes.

Hypersonic travel

Feel free to add anything you want.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

New Jersey Is Testing Solar-Power Commuter Pods

http://www.fastcolabs.com/3034687/ne...-commuter-pods
    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Gondolas in New York City

http://www.businessinsider.com/east-...ampaign=buffer

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

How autonomous cars will shape the future

By the way they will all be here by 2025. My youngest daughter (2 now) will probably never drive a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

By the way they will all be here by 2025. My youngest daughter (2 now) will probably never drive a car.
    This is awesome. I have a bet with a friend most people will be driving autonomous cars by 2040. I'm cashing in!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

The effects of the autonomous car movement will be staggering. PricewaterhouseCoopers predicts that the number of vehicles on the road will be reduced by 99%, estimating that the fleet will fall from 245 million to just 2.4 million vehicles.
    99% drop in cars? Yeah right. Just the farmers, cowboys, and construction workers out west would drive that many trucks alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    99% drop in cars? Yeah right. Just the farmers, cowboys, and construction workers out west would drive that many trucks alone.
    Construction workers? By then all buildings and houses will be 3d printed

https://m.facebook.com/auth.php?api_...QA%2526s%253D1

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This may be more recreational than true transportation, but this looks like a lot of fun. Has a range of 5-7 miles on one charge, charges in 20 minutes, and goes up to 19 miles per hour. cost is a bit steep at $1500.00.

Last edited by U-Ute; 02-02-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This may be more recreational than true transportation, but this looks like a lot of fun. Has a range of 5-7 miles on one charge, charges in 20 minutes, and goes up to 19 miles per hour. cost is a bit steep at $1500.00.

I fixed your link. We have native VIMEO BBCodes to embed videos from VIMEO.

Disneyland had an autonomous "car" decades ago, it was called the People Mover. Todays autonomous "cars" are likewise more like trains. They rely on a several billion dollar GPS satellite system, very expensive conventional roads, etc. They can NOT handle constructions zones, dirt roads (which I drive on regularly to go surfing at Vandenberg AFB, CA), they can not handle bad weather conditions, can not deduce whether a puddle is 5 inches deep or 5 feet deep. Etc., etc.

Many people have an almost religious like allegiance to digital technology. I wrote a graduate school paper on the limits of digital AI and The Singularity. A brief synopsis, a digital system can no more perform what a human brain does than it can perform lactation. Heck, scientists do not even understand how a worm "thinks".

Here's to seven in a row vs. teaM dOwN SouTh.

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/868978170531393536

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu.../#6b48aaf76ecf

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I am looking at possibly buying a couple of electric bikes can be used on light trail riding and cruising the boardwalk. Anyone have experience with electric bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am looking at possibly buying a couple of electric bikes can be used on light trail riding and cruising the boardwalk. Anyone have experience with electric bikes?
    The U has a thing about just this today and throughout the month so you can test ride and get discounts on purchasing electric bikes:

https://unews.utah.edu/u-bike-electric-program/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    My only experience is getting passed by them, the rider looking happy and refreshed while I sweat and struggle. . We’ve thought about getting one for my wife so we could ride together at a pace we both can live with. But they are expensive.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 04-11-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The U has a thing about just this today and throughout the month so you can test ride and get discounts on purchasing electric bikes:

https://unews.utah.edu/u-bike-electric-program/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mr. Money Mustache