Thread: Bravo UofU!

Hybrid View

I'll be curious to see what happens with this.

We certainly are only getting one side of this story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'll be curious to see what happens with this.

We certainly are only getting one side of this story.

with the amount of money the Hunstman donate on the Hill, there's only 1 side of the story that truly matters

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    with the amount of money the Hunstman donate on the Hill, there's only 1 side of the story that truly matters
    I would disagree with that, I love what their family does. I don't think that means they're automatically correct.

I have no love for Pershing. Never have. I'm just always wanting the whole story, which as we all know never comes out in the media.

Pershing has already been around longer than the average university president. It's unlikely he'll be around much longer, even without this incident. Might as well fire him now and keep the big donor happy. Unless he's wants to retire, Pershing will just move on to another university presidency anyway.

As for Lee, firing faculty is a bigger deal than firing a president. I'm with Diehard - take a good look at her side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Pershing has already been around longer than the average university president. It's unlikely he'll be around much longer, even without this incident. Might as well fire him now and keep the big donor happy. Unless he's wants to retire, Pershing will just move on to another university presidency anyway.

As for Lee, firing faculty is a bigger deal than firing a president. I'm with Diehard - take a good look at her side of the story.
    Pershing could also just go back to being a tenured engineering professor and work at the U. until he retires.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Regardless of how this shakes out, the execution of the decision was about as poorly orchestrated as possible and the long term damage may be greater than the short-term if Huntsman decides to move his sizable contributions to other institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Regardless of how this shakes out, the execution of the decision was about as poorly orchestrated as possible and the long term damage may be greater than the short-term if Huntsman decides to move his sizable contributions to other institutions.
    I suspect there is a lot of activity going on right now among movers and shakers in the U. of U. world that is focused on mollifying Mr. Huntsman.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Very true. Despite other back stories it is truly astounding that they didn't talk to the Huntsman's before this. So if I understand this right:

1. They fired a CEO who is highly respected and admired by her employees and the cancer community, yet seem unaware that there might be blowback
    2. They fire her without a discussion, just by email. I wouldn't do that to an intern, let alone a CEO.
    3. They plan to retain her as a member of the faculty, which I don't care how great that person it, it is a horrendous idea to keep a fired member on staff in any capacity
    4. They didn't notify the largest donor of the U whose name is represented on the same hospital of this fact

Lee might be behind the power grab but Pershing oversaw it... I'm down to no respect for the man anymore. I understand he isn't well respected by the faculty at the U either. Too much stuff like this.

I've been surprised that H.D. Burton has chosen to take on such high-profile and controversial positions as an emeritus GA. I don't think that is a good idea. It sure hasn't worked out well in his case.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I've been surprised that H.D. Burton has chosen to take on such high-profile and controversial positions as an emeritus GA. I don't think that is a good idea. It sure hasn't worked out well in his case.
    When he was Presiding Bishop, he had a rep for integrity, which is why he was brought to UTA. apparently hasn't handled either Chair position well.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    When he was Presiding Bishop, he had a rep for integrity, which is why he was brought to UTA. apparently hasn't handled either Chair position well.
    Maybe he just lacks experience dealing with public controversy. His background is in private enterprise and in church administration (even prior to being in the Presiding Bishopric).

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    There are some who might disagree with that reputation. However, giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps his struggle has gone from being a leader in an organization that is very private and what you say goes no questions asked, to two public entities with people who don't care what you have to say.

He is a Governor's appointee as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be good or qualified for the job.

With the rumor of the reinstatement of Beckerle, I just don't see how Pershing, Lee and Burton will survive at the U as presently constituted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There are some who might disagree with that reputation. However, giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps his struggle has gone from being a leader in an organization that is very private and what you say goes no questions asked, to two public entities with people who don't care what you have to say.

He is a Governor's appointee as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be good or qualified for the job.

With the rumor of the reinstatement of Beckerle, I just don't see how Pershing, Lee and Burton will survive at the U as presently constituted.

I cant see how Vivian Lee doesnt immediately start looking for another job. She was always thought to be a
    short timer and rising superstar, using the U as a steppingstone, ala urban or Hiram Chodosh. I dont know how she continues in her current job.