Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I agree with you LA. Him speaking at the U about politics is not that far different from you speaking at the U. And that's more shocking and troubling than anything else.

However, I unfollowed him on twitter because he has a horrible habit of retweeting things from idiots and then tearing their statements apart. I don't need (or want) him to bring idiots into my life and he is purposely trying to get me enraged with statements from idiots which insults me.
    You can be assured that I’d protest the hell out of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    You can be assured that I’d protest the hell out of that.
    Security would be following you everywhere.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

From Athlon's ranking of top college football-basketball coaching duos:

15. Utah

Football: Kyle Whittingham
    Basketball: Larry Krystkowiak

After a relatively rough transition from the Mountain West to the Pac-12, the Utah football program has averaged 8.8 wins over the last four seasons and is 19–17 in league play over that stretch under Whittingham (above, right). Krystkowiak has done a terrific job rebuilding the Utah basketball program. In his last three full seasons, the Utes are 13–5, 13–5 and 11–7 in the Pac-12.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...hing-duos-2018

Oddly enough, they rank UCLA 14th because of Chip Kelly's hiring. Seems dumb to do that before Chip has coached a single game at UCLA.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

University of Utah School of Medicine Honors Russell M. Nelson

School creates Dr. Russell M. Nelson and Dantzel W. Nelson Presidential Endowed Chair in Cardiothoracic Surgery

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...ssell-m-nelson

--Yeats

Impressive numbers.

In the Wall Street Journal rankings Utah jumped from #312 in 2018 to #169 in 2019. Clearly, hanging out in the PAC-12 has been good for the neighborhood.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/explore..._copyURL_share

--Yeats

Applications to the U. are up 45% and the acceptance rate is 67%. To get In applicants must generally have a 3.6 GPA and a 27 ACT. I imagine there are waivers for athletes and others in special categories.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Applications to the U. are up 45% and the acceptance rate is 67%. To get In applicants must generally have a 3.6 GPA and a 27 ACT. I imagine there are waivers for athletes and others in special categories.
    Are you sure? Have you fact checked that on Cougarboard?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Bravo UofU!

Luke Skywalker pimping the U for prosthetic arm.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...rosthetic-arm/

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 08-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.

This is nice.

U jumps in national rankings

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...onal-rankings/

--Yeats

Chris Hill entering Utah Sports Hall of Fame

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/10/14...l-of-fame.aspx

--Yeats

Maybe this should go under Bravo Huntsman Family, but,this will do......

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/11...alth-institute
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Wow. The U invited to join the AA. This is the most important development since the Pac 12 invite. It is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wow. The U invited to join the AA. This is the most important development since the Pac 12 invite. It is huge.
    That is huge. Very impressive.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

And probably more important on a larger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    And probably more important on a larger scale.
    Agree

Big time, Bill, big time! Big time!

Really, another huge step for the university.

Can someone ELI5 as to why this is big? I've read a lot of people saying it is, but I'm not familiar with such academic things.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Can someone ELI5 as to why this is big? I've read a lot of people saying it is, but I'm not familiar with such academic things.
    It's just a club of universities that consider themselves better than the rest, and they've invited us to join. It might enhance research collaborations or help bring in more grant money.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's just a club of universities that consider themselves better than the rest, and they've invited us to join. It might enhance research collaborations or help bring in more grant money.
    And do things like attract better professors...

The university made another big announcement today. Starting in 2020, if you're a Utah resident, never before enrolled, with a 3.2 GPA and Pell grant eligible, they'll give you four years of tuition.

https://admissions.utah.edu/forutah/...K5NcGF02O9_wvU
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 11-07-2019 at 02:34 PM.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Ne...list_hp_latest

50 years ago today... LA Ute didn't have anyone to play with.

50 years ago today... LA Ute didn't have anyone to play with.

You keep bringing that up just to hurt me.

--Yeats

This is a pretty terrific accomplishment.

--Yeats

E-mail received a few minutes ago from Mark Harlan:

Dear Ute Nation:

As the calendar has now turned to 2020 and as we enter the second half of this school year, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the incredible success the Utes are experiencing in competition and in the classroom. It’s an exciting time to be a Ute, and this is an opportunity to pause and appreciate what is happening at the University of Utah, particularly in Athletics.

I’m extremely proud of the performance by our athletics programs thus far in 2019-20. They have set the bar high and continue to contribute to a championship culture that elevates expectations for the entire department.

Each of our fall sports programs received NCAA postseason or bowl game invitations, and one, Volleyball, finished in the Top 10 in the nation.

• Volleyball: Pac-12 Coach of the Year Beth Launiere’s team reached the NCAA Sweet Sixteen and finished 9th in the final AVCA rankings, the highest finish in program history.
    • Football: Pac-12 Coach of the Year and Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year Kyle Whittingham’s team won the Pac-12 South for the second year in a row, won 11 games, and played in the Alamo Bowl, one of the top Pac-12 Bowl partners.
    • Soccer: Coach Rich Manning’s squad qualified for the NCAA Division I Soccer Championships.
    • Cross-Country: Coach Kyle Kepler’s team qualified for the NCAA championship meet and placed 16th, the highest finish in program history, after placing fifth at the NCAA Mountain Regional.

Utah is one of just nine athletics programs in the nation—and one of two in the Pac-12—to have teams in all four of these sports reach the NCAA postseason or a bowl game. The Utes closed the 2019 fall season ranked 25th nationally in the Learfield Cup Fall standings that recognizes overall department competitive success. An astounding 26 student-athletes across the four sports earned All-Pac-12 recognition and 11 earned All-America consideration. Beyond the unprecedented success on the field, 45 student-athletes were named to the fall Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll and Utah Athletics produced a 94-percent figure in the most recent NCAA Graduation Success Rate report.

We all are extremely proud of these accomplishments. It’s important that we take time to celebrate and to acknowledge the people and the hard work that goes into success.

As always, it starts with our people: high-achieving student-athletes, elite level coaches and extraordinary staff working together every day. However, credit also goes to those who support our programs in every way, which enable us to deliver a world-class experience for our student-athletes. This would not be possible without you, and we will continue to thrive when we combine all of those elements into our plan for future achievements and growth.

The future is exceptionally bright for Utah Athletics and we look towards exciting new memories in 2020. We will continue to update you on the many happenings here, including the start of construction of the Ken Garff Performance Zone at Rice-Eccles Stadium this month, along with many other exciting projects ahead. Thank you all for being a part of the Utah Family.

Happy New Year!
    Mark Harlan

--Yeats