Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Hybrid View

This sounds like a game changer in photography.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37193274&nid...&s_cid=queue-2
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This is pretty cool.

Mormon leader Thomas S. Monson attends ceremony naming historic Utah building in his honor

The U. now owns the old LDS Business College building on South Temple and it will be called the Thomas S. Monson Center:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...monson-attends

For nearly half a century, the historic Wall Mansion, at 411 E. South Temple in Salt Lake City, was home to LDS Business College. The overhauled building now becomes the Thomas S. Monson Center, the U.'s "embassy to the community" and home to the school's Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute.
    That's fitting, President Henry B. Eyring, Monson's first counselor in the LDS Church's governing First Presidency, said in a short speech. "Just as President Monson has reached out to people from every background and walk of life, this center will draw individuals and organizations from the local and global community to engage their minds and hearts in creating ideas and programs that change lives, communities and nations for the better."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I really like seeing news like this:

Utah Student-Athletes Graduating at 83% Clip

Utes lead the Pac-12 graduation rate in six sports

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-04-2015 at 06:37 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

It's Veterans' Day. Do something nice for a veteran today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Just a shot I took this morning while walking the dogs on the U. campus.

--Yeats

Hey! I was up there with my daughter for a campus tour today between 10 and noon.

This looks like a big deal for both this student (obviously) and the U. of U.

http://unews.utah.edu/university-of-...l-scholarship/

--Yeats

Utah engineers discover groundbreaking semiconducting material that could lead to much faster electronics

http://unews.utah.edu/engineering-material-magic/
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The new Lassonde Institute at the U opened up with 18 new startups in incubation.

http://lassonde.utah.edu/meet-the-co...unch-startups/

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The new Lassonde Institute at the U opened up with 18 new startups in incubation.

http://lassonde.utah.edu/meet-the-co...unch-startups/
    I walked by there last week. It's a beautiful building.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I walked by there last week. It's a beautiful building.
    It is pretty amazing. I guess they based the interior on how modern startups in SF are architecting their interiors, with lots of mobility of desks/computers/whiteboards and common creative spaces.

Maybe this should go under Bravo Huntsman Family, but,this will do......

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/11...alth-institute
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Wow. The U invited to join the AA. This is the most important development since the Pac 12 invite. It is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wow. The U invited to join the AA. This is the most important development since the Pac 12 invite. It is huge.
    That is huge. Very impressive.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

And probably more important on a larger scale.

50 years ago today... LA Ute didn't have anyone to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    50 years ago today... LA Ute didn't have anyone to play with.

You keep bringing that up just to hurt me.

--Yeats

Bravo UofU!

The U also performed their first living liver transplant yesterday

And a U professor has developed a new lens which greatly reduces thickness for camera and eye glass lenses

http://dailyutahchronicle.com/2016/0...n-flat-lenses/

World's Largest Easter Egg.

Happy Easter!

U biology professor Jim Ehleringer was named to the National Academy of Sciences, bringing the U's total to 12. This is a tremendous honor for Dr. Ehleringer and for the U.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-09-2016 at 05:18 PM.

The U's chemistry department has their first ninja:

http://chem.utah.edu/news/chem-ninja.php

Bravo UofU!

A New Way to Nip AIDS in the Bud

When new AIDS virus particles bud from an infected cell, an enzyme named protease activates to help the viruses mature and infect more cells. That’s why modern AIDS drugs control the disease by inhibiting protease.

Now, University of Utah researchers found a way to turn protease into a double-edged sword: They showed that if they delay the budding of new HIV particles, protease itself will destroy the virus instead of helping it spread. They say that might lead, in about a decade, to new kinds of AIDS drugs with fewer side effects. ...
    http://unews.utah.edu/a-new-way-to-nip-aids-in-the-bud/

--Yeats

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I JUST came here to post that very photo. I love it!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-22-2016 at 05:44 AM.

--Yeats

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I JUST came here to post that very photo. I love it!
    Several other nice shots of him wearing the Block U. The only thing better than a picture of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear is 2 pictures of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-22-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Several other nice shots of him wearing the Block U. The only thing better than a picture of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear is 2 pictures of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear.
    I heard that last sentence in the voice of Carl Spackler.

that pic aligned my Chakras

CBS Sports ranks Utah the #10 athletic program in the country last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...me-in-2015-16/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    CBS Sports ranks Utah the #10 athletic program in the country last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...me-in-2015-16/
    And...eight of the programs ranked above Utah have athletics budgets over $100 million.

Fire Chris Hill!

--Yeats

This is interesting. The associate dean of academic affairs and research at BYU's law school moves to the U's law school.

http://www.law.utah.edu/news/new-at-...ndersen-jones/

Good for her. A big step up!

--Yeats