Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah Rugby

Utah Rugby

Home game tomorrow against ASU at Marv Jenson field, 103th South and redwood road. Kickoff 12pm.

http://www.facebook.com/UofURugby
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Home game tomorrow against ASU at Marv Jenson field, 103th South and redwood road. Kickoff 12pm.

http://www.facebook.com/UofURugby
    Write up from the match

http://rugbymag.com/men's-di-college...un-devils.html
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Is this offensive tackle, John Cullen (#77)? It looks like it is in the photo. I think that Cullen's stint as an NFL free agent is over, and maybe he is finishing up some classes or something and playing rugby on the side?

Four of Utah’s tries came through the forward pack, as No. 8 John Cullen dotted down twice, and hooker Mike Shepherd, lock Spencer Vickery and Juszczak (a flanker) scored once each.
    When I played rugby at the U, we were mostly just a bunch of rag-tag goofballs. The rugby team got more serious when Blake Burdette took over coaching. Is he still the coach?

That is most definitely John Cullen.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Is this offensive tackle, John Cullen (#77)? It looks like it is in the photo. I think that Cullen's stint as an NFL free agent is over, and maybe he is finishing up some classes or something and playing rugby on the side?

When I played rugby at the U, we were mostly just a bunch of rag-tag goofballs. The rugby team got more serious when Blake Burdette took over coaching. Is he still the coach?
    He was last season, not sure this year. I got an email on FB from their SID and because they are on probabtion there will not be a full schedule published this season and all games will be posted on their Facebook profile 48 hours prior. Games are being played down in South Jordan.
    ~Bob Marley

I saw John Cullen in the crowd at Rio Tinto Stadium during the BYU-Utah match two seasons ago. I had no idea he started playing. He would be a load at #8. I would think prop would be a more natural fit given his OL background. But then he's pretty tall so it would make an unbalanced front row if they couldn't find someone to balance.

What years did you play?
    Hostile mentioned in a different thread that there's a new coach this year (a long-time assistant from highland) but that's all I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    That is most definitely John Cullen.
    Utah rugby usually benefits when Utah football has great talent by absorbing the has-beens and and cast-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by execUTEioner View Post
    Hostile mentioned in a different thread that there's a new coach this year (a long-time assistant from highland) but that's all I've heard.
    There has been a bit of a shake up with rugby coaches.

Going back a few years, Gelwix left Highland to serve as a mission president. He left Highland to be coached by his assistant Heloti (can't remember his last name)

Blake Burdette coached Utah up until this year. I heard there was an altercation with a player so he is not the head coach this year. Heloti is now coaching Utah.

After taking over Highland there was some issue with the team name so it changed to Trybe last year. Now it is back to Highland and Mark Numbers, former coach at Utah, is now at Highland this year.

Does that make sense?
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    There has been a bit of a shake up with rugby coaches.

Going back a few years, Gelwix left Highland to serve as a mission president. He left Highland to be coached by his assistant Heloti (can't remember his last name)

Blake Burdette coached Utah up until this year. I heard there was an altercation with a player so he is not the head coach this year. Heloti is now coaching Utah.

After taking over Highland there was some issue with the team name so it changed to Trybe last year. Now it is back to Highland and Mark Numbers, former coach at Utah, is now at Highland this year.

Does that make sense?
    The Highland football coaches have really done a number on the program. It's sad. Last year Jeramy Evans was coaching Trybe. I wonder if Mark Numbers is a Highland alum. I played with a couple of Number kids while at Highland.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    The Highland football coaches have really done a number on the program. It's sad. Last year Jeramy Evans was coaching Trybe. I wonder if Mark Numbers is a Highland alum. I played with a couple of Number kids while at Highland.
    Mark is a Highland alum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UCLA 50 Utah 38

Quote Originally Posted by execUTEioner View Post
    Mark is a Highland alum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I wonder if it is the same family. They had 11 kids if I remember correctly. The two in my class were both very good athletes and even better people.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Did anyone else buy a shirt from their fundraiser? Its been awhile since I bought mine and I haven't heard a thing and the web site has been shut down. Should I be putting a freeze on my bank account?

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I think the football coach is back on board in supporting the rugby program. Highland has gone to a single-school format this year and is practicing back at the school (but not on the soccer field off 2100S). Trybe is still running as a multi-school club.

One other rugby related note. I have tried to find international rugby available on local Cable without success. Comcast in Utah doesn't carry Fox Soccer+. I recently discovered superXVguru on Youtube. There are delayed broadcasts of all the Super XV matches as well as the Six Nations. The delay is about 4-5 days and the quality is pretty good. I think they will show The Rugby Championship at the end of the summer as well.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I think they will show The Rugby Championship at the end of the summer as well.
    Nice! I will check this out.

I have been able to get the Tri-Nations The Rugby Championship through DirecTV, but this may actually be the reason I dump satellite and cable for good.

Utah @ Cal today. Utes look to upset the Bears for a shot at the inaugural PAC conference title. Starts at 1:00 Cali time.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Utah @ Cal today. Utes look to upset the Bears for a shot at the inaugural PAC conference title. Starts at 1:00 Cali time.
    Who won?

Cal boat raced the scrumin' Utes, 51-29 and locked up the PAC title.
    http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-rug...033013aab.html

John Cullen (8) was the high-scorer for the Utes with 10.

Utes play TDS this Fri. (4/5) @ 7pm for the Wasatch Cup. I believe its @ TDS this year.

Did anyone else buy a shirt from their fundraiser? Its been awhile since I bought mine and I haven't heard a thing and the web site has been shut down. Should I be putting a freeze on my bank account?
    I should have posted this awhile ago. Ask and ye shall receive. The next day it showed up in my mailbox. Looks great.

No one is saying what the violations were, but the U has suspended the Rugby team for the 2013-2014 season, so there won't be a game.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...st-clinic.html

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Well this screws up the Varsity Cup. Not good for college rugby.

No season for next year?? WOW.. That seems a bit steep...

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    No season for next year?? WOW.. That seems a bit steep...
    They were already on probation. That's why they weren't playing games on campus this year. Obviously there were more problems.

Here is some other vague write-ups on what's going on.

Looks like it could be 3 years of suspension. Not good!

https://www.rugbymag.com/men%27s-di-...suspended.html

and an update;
    https://www.rugbymag.com/college-new...utah-woes.html

If I'm remembering right, do the Scrumin' Utes get to start back up this spring? Has anyone heard anything?

According to this article: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/56...rugby.html.csp

The Utes will resume competition, but be on university probation for 2 years. Also, I was unaware that Blake Burdette stepped down as head coach, and wonder who will take that role on now? Apparently part of the penance is that the team will not be allowed to sport the university logo on their uniforms for the forseeable future.

Another article comparing the Ute rugby situation to Ute Hockey circa 2003: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...me.html?pg=all

As far as coaches go, when does Gelwix finish being a mission pres.? Maybe keep our fingers crossed.

As far as coaches go, when does Gelwix finish being a mission pres.? Maybe keep our fingers crossed.
    Gelwix is done in Fresno June, 2014. I think it is highly unlikely that he would want to coach Utah' rugby team.

Has anyone seen a Utes schedule for this year? I've seen them on the schedules of ASU, Cal and BYU but I haven't seen a schedule out from Utah.

http://varsitycup.us/my-team/utah-2/

Looks like the Utes will be competing for the Varsity Cup this season. I thought they were in this before the suspension but looks as though Utah was recently added. A little more updated info on the teams coaches as well.