Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Crazy Pirate Comes to Rice-Eccles: Utah v. Wazzu, 2014

Welp, all of my fears came to fruition in this one. We got up big early, and then sat on our lead for much of the game and got very little out of our offense. Horrible games from Dres, Wilson, and Blechen in coverage letting #21 keep WSU drives alive, the O-Line allowing their D-Line to dictate much of what happened in the second half...what else here? We also lost out on a lot of the effort plays. Those last couple of drives by Wazzu included runs where they picked up 3-4-5 extra yards on effort alone and we didn't wrap up.

No. Killer. Instinct.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Did Anderson have any catches at all tonight?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Truly a team loss. It is hard to point the finger at any individual. Still, I wish that Dres Anderson would make clutch catches. Especially when the ball hits him in the hands.
    I disagree. It is really easy to point the finger at one individual with this loss.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Nope. It was basically Scott and Clay.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Welp, all of my fears came to fruition in this one. We got up big early, and then sat on our lead for much of the game and got very little out of our offense. Horrible games from Dres, Wilson, and Blechen in coverage letting #21 keep WSU drives alive, the O-Line allowing their D-Line to dictate much of what happened in the second half...what else here? We also lost out on a lot of the effort plays. Those last couple of drives by Wazzu included runs where they picked up 3-4-5 extra yards on effort alone and we didn't wrap up.

No. Killer. Instinct.
    The one statistic no one can argue with: two touchdowns by the offense in the last two games.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Well. It was great run for Whittingham, but it is time to move on. We blew a 21 point lead at home to a bad team.

I want to defend him, but that decision to punt on 4th and inches was questionable at best.

Midway through the 4th quarter, midfield, up 6, against a team that had been moving the ball very well the second half, and you punt it on 4th and inches?

I'm not really surprised Washington State scored the game winning touchdown on the ensuing possession.

None

That didn't look like a team with nothing to play for. WSU, I mean. Utah, OTOH, did look like they had nothing to play for.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

UCLA scored 62 at ASU, what will do against this mess next week--do I hear 100?

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    That didn't look like a team with nothing to play for. WSU, I mean. Utah, OTOH, did look like they had nothing to play for.
    This feels like a McBride loss.
    We really needed this win.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    We play those guys relatively tough, so I suspect it'll be closer than the experts think.

Riley noted in the post game show that the Utes did not get to the Red zone on offense once tonight. Wow.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    I want to defend him, but that decision to punt on 4th and inches was questionable at best.

Midway through the 4th quarter, midfield, up 6, against a team that had been moving the ball very well the second half, and you punt it on 4th and inches?

I'm not really surprised Washington State scored the game winning touchdown on the ensuing possession.
    He should have called time out. Got In the face of all the offensive lineman and said "ichallenge you to win this game"

Instead we fraidy cat punted it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Riley noted in the post game show that the Utes did not get to the Red zone on offense once tonight. Wow.

Well, Booker's TD. But to have that horrific offensive performance when Booker gets 178 yards is mind boggling. Could be the most discouraging game I've ever watched. I don't know how a program recovers from that. Wilson is a head case. Dres is a head case. the offensive line is atrocious. The play calling is atrocious. It is hard for me to imagine how we ever get more competitive in the conference as is.

As bad as Dres's drop was, he was open several times in the first half on the same route essentially and Wilson missed the throw every time. The last pass that was short on 4th and 8 (to Scott???) was horrific too.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-27-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    He should have called time out. Got In the face of all the offensive lineman and said "ichallenge you to win this game"

Instead we fraidy cat punted it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    He couldnt call time out because we had already wasted one when the defense was out of position earlier. The only thing I can think is that he thought if they score, we only have to get Phillips in position to get the win. We didnt do that either. No way in a million years Urban Meyer would have punted there. No way he wold not have got it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Utah needs to get our ducks in a row for Whittingham's firing. We need to get Chris Hill's "retirement" taken care of soon.

I agree.

I even miss BJ as OC. What I wonder is why DC didn't get the ball to Dres with something other than the long ball. It's like a basketball player who just has to get to the line a few times to get out of the slump. Get Dres some easy catches- get him a reverse even if they are no gainers. Just get him the first catch. You can't let your best weapon finish with no catches.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 09-27-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He couldnt call time out because we had already wasted one when the defense was out of position earlier. The only thing I can think is that he thought if they score, we only have to get Phillips in position to get the win. We didnt do that either. No way in a million years Urban Meyer would have punted there. No way he wold not have got it.
    No way in a million years 75% or more of the college coaches would have punted there.

The defense had been getting killed the entire second half. Up by less than a touchdown with time becoming more of a factor, he killed what little confidence the offense may have had. They only needed 1 foot. Instead he gave the ball to the Washington State offense, who promptly scored the game winning touchdown.

That's a blunder of epic proportions. I hope Kyle mentions it and takes responsibility.

Well, that was a kick in the nuts. I was running late from work and by the time a got to my seat we were up 21-0. It was all downhill from there. Very frustrating game to watch. So many things to be upset about. Ugh!
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Nope. It will be just like every other game we play. The defense will keep us competitive and in the game for a while, then fall apart because they have been on the field
    far too long and the offense hasn't done its share at all.

6 dropped passes. Where's the killer instinct? We punt on 4th and 6 inches. Same question.

--Yeats

There's still a lot of football to be played, but I think Kyle has to know he's out of here if he only gets 2 conference wins again. Where's the urgency?!

Banned
    I am so sick of losing conference games. I love Kyle... I wish he could win. But he can't. Losing at home to Washington State? You gotta be fawkin' kidding me. Nope... we suck this bad. We belong in the basement with Colorado. Fawkin' sad this is.

This is the second year in a row in which Kyle has totally screwed the pooch on a fourth down decision that a Pop Warner coach would get right 100 percent of the time, in a loss that foreshadowed worse things to come.

These are the decisions for which we pay Kyle $2.5 million to get right and he keeps screwing them up. I need an immediate bounceback to change my mind on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is the second year in a row in which Kyle has totally screwed the pooch on a fourth down decision that a Pop Warner coach would get right 100 percent of the time, in a loss that foreshadowed worse things to come.

These are the decisions for which we pay Kyle $2.5 million to get right and he keeps screwing them up. I need an immediate bounceback to change my mind on this.
    This will be written on Coach Whitt ' s Utah tombstone:

Lost 5 4th quarter leads since joining Pac-12:

Arizona 2012
    Oregon State 2013
    Arizona 2013
    Arizona State 2013
    Washington State 2014

Of note, only games we have win after being behind in the 4th

Georgia Tech 2011 and Colorado 2012
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

It looks like we are who we feared we were.

--Yeats

WSU found a stout defense to match their video game Offense. Oregon won in Pullman based on the heroic efforts of a Heisman candidate and a number of home run plays.

One graphic stood out last night. In Leach's 12 years as a Head Coach, his teams have been the #1 offense team in the nation 11 times. That is impressive. However this isn't the late-1980s WAC where a team could sell out to build the offense. WSU has also put together a tough defense to match.

Kudos to the Cougars and to Leach. They gritted out this win based on talent, determination, and by executing a scheme to perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    This will be written on Coach Whitt ' s Utah tombstone:

Lost 5 4th quarter leads since joining Pac-12:

Arizona 2012
    Oregon State 2013
    Arizona 2013
    Arizona State 2013
    Washington State 2014

Of note, only games we have win after being behind in the 4th

Georgia Tech 2011 and Colorado 2012
    I didn't realize it was that many. You are absolutely right.

And it is the way we lose those leads--by not being able to generate any 4th q offense and collapsing on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    WSU found a stout defense to match their video game Offense. Oregon won in Pullman based on the heroic efforts of a Heisman candidate and a number of home run plays.

One graphic stood out last night. In Leach's 12 years as a Head Coach, his teams have been the #1 offense team in the nation 11 times. That is impressive. However this isn't the late-1980s WAC where a team could sell out to build the offense. WSU has also put together a tough defense to match.

Kudos to the Cougars and to Leach. They gritted out this win based on talent, determination, and by executing a scheme to perfection
    This game wasn't as close as the score - Washington State outplayed the Utes. The big run, the pick-6, and the punt return were fantastic, but they obscure the offensive struggles just a bit. As at Michigan, the Utes struggled to run consistent offense. Sure, the big plays are great, but the 4-yards-at-a-time drives are the way to rest the defense & grind out wins.

WSU racked up nearly 500 yards of offense.
    WSU was 10-20 on 3rd down conversions (that might be all we need to know right there).
    The Utes had 78 yards in penalties.
    Wilson was 18-40 for only 165 yards, right around 4 yards per attempt.

Interestingly, Utah was even on rushes & passes, at 40 of each.

I think the Fire Whittingham chants are still premature, but - like SoCalPat suggests, it might all depend on how the Utes bounce back. Momentum & trajectory mean a lot. This, IMO, is the kind of loss that can lose a staff the locker room. It's still early enough in the season to turn it around, but this one hurts. As MRD pointed out to me earlier, the Utes have never been above .500 in Pac-12 play.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    This game wasn't as close as the score
    Yes, we just were not (are not) the better team. They outplayed us. Change any number of individual plays (a 3rd down stop, Dres' drop, the 4th and inches), and we might win that game. But it would be a somewhat undeserving win.

The offense has returned to form. It's been years since we've been able to get into a crisp rhythm on offense. This time, there are no excuses. No hurt QB, no missing starters. Just the same poor throws, the same drops, the same bad decisions, and the same approach from our opponents - rush 5, pressure the WRs. Like a broken record.

It really is a strong reminder that QB is the most important position. Give Michigan a good QB, and they are conference contenders. They just whiffed on their recent QB recruits. I think the same is true for us. There are only two things that matter for a college QB - accuracy and decision making. Whatever the style, whatever the offense, those two things are not optional. I don't think Wilson has either. He has never had accuracy, and he has always made poor decisions. In the 2 minute offense last night, he was panicky (again). The dump off to Booker was a panic throw that cost us 20 seconds. He repeatedly threw before he needed to because he was afraid the pocket was collapsing.

In a horrible twist of events, the one accurate downfield throw Wilson managed all game was dropped by our star WR.

We are 3-1, so we will write this off as a bad game for Wilson. He will start against UCLA. But I think it is his last chance. If he plays like this again, KT will get his shot. Thing is, I don't think Thompson or Cox have the accuracy we need either.

I feel like we have always been close with Whittingham. I think we are close again. Give us an accurate passer, and we can reach our potential of becoming the OSU of the south division - a team that regularly finishes with 6-8 wins and occasionally makes noise in the title race. We are close enough that I hate the idea of entering rebuild mode. Fire Whittingham, and we are looking at a 3 year rebuild. If that rebuild fails, we are looking at a decade long rebuild with potential to never be relevant again (like the Vandy, Kansas, Indiana of the Pac-12).

That said, it's all in play now. We may not be favored again in a game this year. Colorado/Arizona can score, and we can't. I think we may be underdogs going to Boulder. 0-9 in the conference is a possibility. We now have to beat OSU, Zona, and CU to go bowling, or we need to upset an actually good team. That seems unlikely.

BTW, somebody tweeted last night that we are now 0-4 in conference with red jerseys black pants.