Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kendal Thompson

Kendal Thompson

Is he the starter now? Is there a controversy? He made that one grave mistake against MI in his first series, but othrewise he seems to move the team, in extremely difficult situations.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 10-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

In this game you go with your hot hand. Kendal clearly led the offense when it desperately needed to be led.

That doesn't mean he couldn't stink it up in Corvalis, or another game down the road, and Travis Wilson better keep his head in the game, as odds are his number will be called again, but right now, KT is the QB.

How much of a factor in Kendal looking great was UCLA prepping for Wilson, then not being able to load up on expected plays? I think that was a significant factor. We wore their D down, certainly in part to KT being able to extend plays.

I can promise you the Beavs will scheme to make Kendal look like crap. This league is awesome.

At this level it's amazing how much success is not predicated on being able to impose your will on an opponent, and more about finding - even minor - advantages and then trying to use a crowbar to make those advantages make a difference.

This game is won at the margins far more often than we ever saw before. Remember the days when we could just show up, have a bunch of turnovers, look like crap, and still win the game? It's like it was a different sport.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Is he the starter now?
    Yes.

I hope we don't find out, but I wonder if he'll be on the same short leash vs OSU that TW was on last night.
    Last edited by sancho; 10-05-2014 at 09:57 AM.

He seems to suit the strengths and weaknesses of our o line better. They cant keep a pocket, but they can run block. They seem more effective blocking for him and the schemes when he is in.

Will be interesting to see what happens when a team game plans for him or he faces a stout front 7, like USC's.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Travis is beautiful and resilient and more glory will rain on him this season.

Kendal had no turnovers and made plays no one else on the Utah squad could have made. I saw him take one amazing hit (the crowed gasped) and jump right up. He was a warrior last night, and was very impressive in the post-game interview on KALL. FWIW, he really does sound a lot more mature than Travis. I still admire Travis and hope we see more of him this season.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2014 at 11:01 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Travis is beautiful and resilient and more glory will rain on him this season.
    Thompson's threat to run reduced UCLA's ability to blitz on obvious passing downs. Wilson can run, we all know, but Thompson is more slippery.
    That spin-move was one for the ages.

Wilson will see the field again, if only via the requisite injury that seems to visit every quarterback on occasion.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I'm thinking Whit might just switch it up whenever the other starts to slump. 2QB systems are taboo but so is kissing your sister and I think your sister is cute. And I wanna win!

KT runs the read option better than TW. He can bounce outside when the D stacks the box and he made UCLA pay for it last night. He has better foot work, pocket adjustments, and mobility. He has a far better 'touch' on the short passes. And he seems to be more accurate on the long passes, though he lacks TW's strength and underthrows slightly (although that pass to Dres was still 50+ yards in the air). Watching KT pop right back up smiling after getting pasted was a thing of beauty, especially since the defender hurt himself trying to kill KT. KT also spent 4 years developing with an entirely different coaching staff and that is a strength (Didn't he redshirt one year?).

TW is far stronger on the ground in the running plays but he isn't as elusive and isn't making the proper reads sometimes.. He throws too hard and behind receivers in the crossing routes. He seems to have a very quick release but it is very low and that bothers me a lot.

I think a lot of our O line woes on passing plays might have to do with TW being a bit weaker in terms of pocket awareness.

If TW can work on his touch with the short passes and accuracy with the long passes then he will get back on the field. Until then KT is fast becoming a legend.

Im patting myself on the back for predicting wed beat UCLA. im pretending i never said wed lose all games with kendall. He did a nice job last night, but we gotta pass for more than 100 yards. Asking a running back to give you 33 carries a night is too much.

It's too early to assume anything long term about KT. All we have is hope at this time.

We didn't throw once across the middle last night. I don't know what that means. But I'm guessing we won't do that again.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kendal had no turnovers and made plays no one else on the Utah squad could have made. I saw him take one amazing hit (the crowed gasped) and jump right up. He was a warrior last night, and was very impressive in the post-game interview on KALL. FWIW, he really does sound a lot more mature than Travis. I still admire Travis and hope we see more of him this season.

on tv, the replay showed it was a helmet to helmet hit, and the announcers said UCLA should have been flagged. KT bounced back up, the UCLA player had to be helped off the field. (there was another play where KT had been tackled and was hit in the head on the ground; announcers said that should ha ve been flagged too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We didn't throw once across the middle last night. I don't know what that means. But I'm guessing we won't do that again.

This was the same story in the Wazzu game. Its there; im not sure why we dont take it more.

This feels like when Wynn replaced Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    on tv, the replay showed it was a helmet to helmet hit, and the announcers said UCLA should have been flagged. KT bounced back up, the UCLA player had to be helped off the field. (there was another play where KT had been tackled and was hit in the head on the ground; announcers said that should ha ve been flagged too.)
    I thought the UCLA player that had to be helped was #10, who came in just after the big hit (hit was made by a player wearing 50-something) and tripped over the detritus. Maybe I didn't see that correctly, though - I was pretty tired last night.

I agree that it should have been flagged. Blechen's big hit was right in the numbers, so it's hard for me to say "the refs were just letting them play". Thompson was on the sideline. Besides, it doesn't have to be a helmet-hit to be considered "unnecessary roughness."
    Last edited by Solon; 10-05-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

A shoulder pad higher that the top of the chest is a targetting call. But that was probably a borderline targetting call at best.

KT earned the right to start against OSU and he'll play as long as we win. Trouble is, I don't see us winning many games when we get only 5.6 YPA and 8.4 YPC.

This reminds me of when Hays replaced Wynn. Fortunately, we're better prepared to move forward with KT. We tried running the same offense with Hays and it was a disaster (remember 2011 Cal?). But once we brought in a fullback and made Hays only throw deep off play action, we were pretty good. We had JW4, who is on par with Booker this year. We don't have the sledgehammer fullback in Asiata, but I suspect we're gonna see some really exotic things in this offense (especially with our formations) to keep the chains moving and score points.

We had one play last night dialed up that looked like it was a reverse to Clay, with maybe a throw downfield. Unfortunately, UCLA defended it great and Booker wisely held on to the ball and swallowed a 2-yard loss. I expect to see some plays like that against Oregon State.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Man, I love that pump-fake too.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

The defense must honor the pump fake too, because he is very good throwing touch passes on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Man, I love that pump-fake too.
    I don't think the UCLA linebacker did.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    How much of a factor in Kendal looking great was UCLA prepping for Wilson, then not being able to load up on expected plays? I think that was a significant factor. We wore their D down, certainly in part to KT being able to extend plays.

I can promise you the Beavs will scheme to make Kendal look like crap. This league is awesome.

At this level it's amazing how much success is not predicated on being able to impose your will on an opponent, and more about finding - even minor - advantages and then trying to use a crowbar to make those advantages make a difference.
    I think that your input here is not getting due attention. TW & KT are very different QBs, and it is difficult to prepare for both. 2 QB systems almost never work, but maybe, just maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle?!

I am sure UCLA's DC was pulling out his long, luxurious, wavy, salt 'n pepper hair over it. KT nailed Dres in double coverage for a 42 us TD, and he was about 9 for 13 on the shorter passes with two incompletions hitting the receivers square in the hands, and the KT and Booker show was chewing up both yardage and game clock with the read option. The defense was paying the price for stacking the box or blitzing, so the 'pressure TW' game plan wasn't viable.

But Defensive Coordinators get paid big bucks to react and modify schemes and alignments on the fly, and by the time he changed up the scheme to stop us we were far enough ahead that field goals from Automatic Andy kept us in the game.

Honestly I don't know what TW could have done better. He probably finds a way to get positive yardage out of the sacks that KT took. Maybe the 8-15 yard passing game is better with TW, and Dave Christensen is willing to take more homerun shots downfield.

But for now I am content with the win and look forward to a 10-day break.

Bring on the Beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I think that your input here is not getting due attention. TW & KT are very different QBs, and it is difficult to prepare for both. 2 QB systems almost never work, but maybe, just maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle?!
    No. No. No. And no.

My totally uneducated guess is that even if KT doesn't keep the starting job (and it may already be his to lose) we'll at least see some KT packages in certain situations.

I have to say I saw killer instinct in KT that has largely been missing this season from the team generally. If I'm right that's a terribly important intangible in a QB.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

This game is won at the margins far more often than we ever saw before.
    This is a great observation and very well stated!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I wonder as well if TW could have played better with the play calling for KT. Christensen called a different game once the change was made. I like the adaptability but it seems like it might lead to false hope that KT can run the offense better. We'll see what happens when teams game plan for KT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

I don't understand why we aren't doing this more. We have match-ups that could create nightmares if we were to attack the middle of the field.

So...if KT is the QB from here on out, what's the over/under on how many times he fumbles while scrambling with the ball in just one hand? How many of you also yelled at the TV over this?