Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kendal Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I don't understand why we aren't doing this more. We have match-ups that could create nightmares if we were to attack the middle of the field.
    I just think our QB's can't make the throws against the speed of the PAC-12 LB's.

The Utes have 2 QBs and neither or them can throw the ball. Go with the QB that cannot throw, but at least is a threat with his legs. Thompson should be the starter the rest of the year.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

The only thing that makes me nervous about KT is that I remember when Wilson was the shiny new toy in the program a few years ago, and he was basically run into the ground, particularly after he'd already been injured. I'd like to see KT handled so that he can be around for more than a few games. Booker should help alleviate KT's need to run all the time.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    The Utes have 2 QBs and neither or them can throw the ball. Go with the QB that cannot throw, but at least is a threat with his legs can run the read option well enough to get Booker loose. Thompson should be the starter the rest of the year.
    My feeling.

Does it matter whether we have QB who can throw the ball? Don't we need WRs who can catch the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Does it matter whether we have QB who can throw the ball? Don't we need WRs who can catch the ball?
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

I was pleasantly surprised by Thompson on Saturday. I do think that teams will scheme for him by placing an extra man in the box/on the edge to slow down the read option and bring the corners up to take away the quick outs/WR screens. I don't think KT throws across the middle because (1) he hasn't played football in a long time and the middle is filled with people that are looking to do bad things like intercept the ball and (2) he takes about 4 second to wind up, which is what linebackers/safeties live for.

I agree with SoCal that we are going to see a lot of exotic/trick stuff in the next few games. Flea flickers, TONS of jet sweeps, a lot more use of the WR in the read option, etc. Those will hopefully eleviate some of the tightness in the box, but KT is going to have to make a few throws downfield to truly open things up. His TD to Dres was, to put it mildly, underthrown. Wilson is a better thrower, and its not close. But Wilson has seemed tentative in the past two games, so I think Kendall is the man. For now.

I don't understand SoCal's comparison of Thompson to Hays. Hays was a panic pick up nobody really wanted from a JUCO that cancelled football. Thompson transferred from Oklahoma and I assume he had options.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't understand SoCal's comparison of Thompson to Hays. Hays was a panic pick up nobody really wanted from a JUCO that cancelled football. Thompson transferred from Oklahoma and I assume he had options.
    I agree that KT >>>> Jon Hays. Hays was hard to watch. The fact that we came within a home game of Colorado of going to the Pac-12 championship should appear on Norm Chow's tombstone.

Thompson has limitations - he has a long windup, he's a little loose with the football (he's going to lose a lot of fumbles this year), etc. But he is also shifty, makes pretty good decisions on the read option, and makes pretty good short throws (at least outside the numbers).

I think SoCal's point was more that we will have to make some tweaks on offense for things to run smoothly. With Jon Hays it involved heavy amounts of fullback. With K. Thompson, it will be a lot of weird formations and creative use of the wide receivers.

I agree. I don't think it is a good comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    His TD to Dres was, to put it mildly, underthrown. Wilson is a better thrower, and its not close. But Wilson has seemed tentative in the past two games, so I think Kendall is the man. For now.
    The two biggest plays of the past two seasons were underthrown long balls that Dres managed to turn into gold against top 10 teams.

I also believe Wilson is the better thrower, but he has not yet shown it this year. So far, KT has been the more accurate of the two.

TW is a stronger passer and doesn't underthrow receivers, but he also is very inaccurate and throws with little touch on the ball.

The wheel route toss from Hundley was beautiful, beside the fact that it went for a 93 yd touchdown. That play would work well for us if TW could develop a soft touch. KT seems to have a nicer and far more accurate touch pass. Until that happens, KT should be the starter.

Okay I've looked at that TD pass from Kendal to Dres a bunch of times. I don't see the pass was undertrhrown and I don't see that Dres had to come back to get it. You guys are making that up. Dres was double covered by two strong dbs and went up off his feet, after the ball, which was where it was supposed to be, and just took it; he kept it alive against his hands and his body and brought it home. It was a model play on both ends.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Okay I've looked at that TD pass from Kendal to Dres a bunch of times. I don't see the pass was undertrhrown and I don't see that Dres had to come back to get it. You guys are making that up. Dres was double covered by two strong dbs and went up off his feet, after the ball, which was where it was supposed to be, and just took it; he kept it alive against his hands and his body and brought it home. It was a model play on both ends.
    While I admire your ability to see the best in everyone, I think it is clear that Kendall is not the strongest passer. Dres has about 3 steps on the db when the pass is thrown - it ended up being a jump ball.

While I admire your ability to see the best in everyone, I think it is clear that Kendall is not the strongest passer. Dres has about 3 steps on the db when the pass is thrown - it ended up being a jump ball.
    Yep. There's a lot of things to love about Kendal but his long passing ability is not one of them. Still, to paraphrase a former SecDef, you go into games with the QBs you have.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Thompson also put way too much air under it, gave the safety all the time in the world to come help.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I agree. I don't think it is a good comparison
    Y'all don't get it. Hays and Thompson are similar in that they are limited -- we have to make concessions on what we do offensively, primarily in the mid-range passing game (we had none with Hays and I suspect we'll have none with KT). Not that they're the same type of player -- only an idiot would make that comparison. And ultimately nobody cares where they came from.

The big winner in all of this could be Bubba Poole, just like Shawn Asiata was the big winner when we went with Hays. We have no use for Poole in a one-back offense, not with how Booker has established himself. However, to make Booker more effective, we need to give him some cover, and not just with KT, but with a back who can both pick up the blitz and slip out into a pattern and catch a pass. Poole is the guy there.

Interesting concept. Bubba Poole seems to have the best hands on the team.

For some reason I think of KT being much smaller that TW, but he is 6'2" and 200#. That is still a decent size for a QB in this league, particularly one who is as strong and quick as he is.

I watched Dave Christensen's favorite team, "The World Champion Seattle Seahawks" game last night. I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.

I like the comparison. Now I hope the receivers work on catching the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.
    I'm pretty sure any OC would be happy to move in that direction. Russel Wilson is a great QB. To combine him with Lynch and Harvin is just not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

I watched Dave Christensen's favorite team, "The World Champion Seattle Seahawks" game last night. I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.
    Obviously the Utes aren't the Seahawks, but there are comparison to be made there. Tough, physical defense & KT could be our Russell Wilson.

Also, Kendal seems to be a fan of Russell Wilson. I saw several tweets form Kendal about Russell last night.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Obviously the Utes aren't the Seahawks, but there are comparison to be made there. Tough, physical defense & KT could be our Russell Wilson.

Also, Kendal seems to be a fan of Russell Wilson. I saw several tweets form Kendal about Russell last night.
    If he can make decisions like RWilson does, that would be fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    If he can make decisions like RWilson does, that would be fine by me.
    I did like in his one of his interviews after the game he talked about protecting his body, getting out of bounds, sliding, and just making smart decisions. I hope he means it. From what I've heard/seen from him, he seems to have a high football IQ. I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with his father.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom