Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The college football playoff expansion Thread

The college football playoff expansion Thread

This thread is for all news and rumors surrounding college football playoff expansion.

So as I was driving this afternoon and I happened on Jack Arute and Rick Neuheisel (they have a radio show on sirius). Arute predicted that by the third 4-team playoff championship game we will have press conference to move it 8 teams. Hallelujah. IMO the best way to do that is the following:

1. Conference Champs from the B1G, PAC12, ACC and SEC get AutoBids (
    2. Big12 plays the highest ranked Non p5 team (or ND) for an autobid. Higher BCS ranked team gets home field advantage.
    3. 6 Highest BCS ranked teams that are not in Conf Champ game play for 3 at large spots. Home teams are the ones with highest rankings (1vs6,2v5,3v4) (losers still go to bowl games)
    4. Next weekend teams are seeded by BCS rank and 1 plays 8, 2 v 7 etc.. Higher seed (Losers still go to bowl games)
    5. Christmas Day Semifinal is played
    6. New Years Day Final is played

- This solves a lot of problems
    A. Every Team would play the same amount of games
    B. Instead of 7 games to sell media rights to they would have 10 games (the 11th game Media rights (Big12vNonP5) could be split with the home team getting 75% of the tv revenue).
    C. Half of the playoff revenue is split between all DIV1 teams. The other half uses the Unit system they use for the NCAA bball tourney to divide out $
    D. Bowls still happen Even if you are elite 8 you get one more game.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Sounds complicated. Why not just take the winners of the P5 conferences plus 3 at larges? As long as each P5 is included, nobody who matters can complain too much.

Interesting, but I really don't like the idea of the non-division champs ("6 Highest BCS ranked teams that are not in Conf Champ game") having an easier road to the 8-team playoff than the divisional champs.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sounds complicated. Why not just take the winners of the P5 conferences plus 3 at larges? As long as each P5 is included, nobody who matters can complain too much.
    I agree with this, and think it's the most likely outcome. They can even put some sort of qualification on the 5 conferences so that the lesser conferences could get one of those spots, but there's no real concern there because with the recent sifting there's no chance a G5 conference could touch a P5 conference (which was the case when the Big East was a power conference and before the MWC was stripped of its elite programs).

Some reasons:
    1. The non big12 P5 complain because the big12 doesnt have to play a champ game.
    2. It could incentivize teams to not win their division. (say Miss st and Ole Miss are undefeated at the end of the season when they play. Why not lose that game knowing you dont have to play in the SEC champ game as you will be auto invite.
    3. You get more money (hint this is the biggest reason)
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I can't imagine the B-12 would agree to a play in game against a G-5 opponent. BTW, whatever happened to their request for a champitonship game with 10 members? Is is still under consideration somewhere? Havent heard that it was denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Some reasons:
    1. The non big12 P5 complain because the big12 doesnt have to play a champ game.
    2. It could incentivize teams to not win their division. (say Miss st and Ole Miss are undefeated at the end of the season when they play. Why not lose that game knowing you dont have to play in the SEC champ game as you will be auto invite.
    3. You get more money (hint this is the biggest reason)
    If you're going to get an at-large invite by losing to team X so you don't have to play in a conference championship game, then you would certainly get an at-large invite by beating team X and then losing in the conference championship game. One more win over a quality opponent, same number of losses, and a loss in a championship game is better than a loss to a non-champ.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I can't imagine the B-12 would agree to a play in game against a G-5 opponent. BTW, whatever happened to their request for a champitonship game with 10 members? Is is still under consideration somewhere? Havent heard that it was denied.
    I also don't think the other conferences would want to incentivize the B12 to expand. I think a playoff with 10 is more likely.

I hope it's denied. Why should the Big12 get the benefit that all the other conferences had to expand for? Why should the Big12 be rewarded for stupidly staying at 10 instead of adding FSU/Clemson when they were available? If they want a title game, let them add Memphis and Cincy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    If you're going to get an at-large invite by losing to team X so you don't have to play in a conference championship game, then you would certainly get an at-large invite by beating team X and then losing in the conference championship game. One more win over a quality opponent, same number of losses, and a loss in a championship game is better than a loss to a non-champ.
    Plus, the 3 at larges are determined by a committee, not by a computer ranking. If you clearly tank a game to avoid a conference championship game, the committee is not taking you.

Interesting, but I really don't like the idea of the non-division champs ("6 Highest BCS ranked teams that are not in Conf Champ game") having an easier road to the 8-team playoff than the divisional champs.
    I dont think it would be easier. Lets look at how this would play out last year:
    Playoff teams:
    Florida st (beat duke)
    Auburn (beat georgia)
    Mich St (beat Ohio st)
    Stanford (beat ASU)
    Baylor vs UCF winner
    Bama vs Oregon winner
    South Carolina vs Oklahoma winner
    Clemson vs Missouri winner

That wouldnt be awesome?
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 10-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.

I hope it's denied. Why should the Big12 get the benefit that all the other conferences had to expand for? Why should the Big12 be rewarded for stupidly staying at 10 instead of adding FSU/Clemson when they were available? If they want a title game, let them add Memphis and Cincy for it.
    Fine but you are penalizing the winner of that game by making them play in champ game while the loser gets to rest before their playoff game.

I dont think it would be easier. Lets look at how this would play out last year:
    Playoff teams:
    Florida st
    Auburn
    Mich St
    Stanford
    Baylor vs UCF winner
    Bama vs Oregon winner
    South Carolina vs Oklahoma winner
    Clemson vs Missouri winner

That wouldnt be awesome?
    You have to look at the teams that lost the conference championship games. Why should those teams, that earned something significant on the field (winning their division) have to beat teams like Florida State and Auburn to get in while non-division winners (Baylor, UCF, South Carolina, OU, Clemson, and Mizzou) get to play easier "play-in" games than the division winners who had to play the absolute cream of the crop in championship games?

You have to look at the teams that lost the conference championship games. Why should those teams, that earned something significant on the field (winning their division) have to beat teams like Florida State and Auburn to get in while non-division winners (Baylor, UCF, South Carolina, OU, Clemson, and Mizzou) get to play easier "play-in" games than the division winners who had to play the absolute cream of the crop in championship games?
    Fla st beat #24 Duke (clemson has a tougher game)
    Auburn beat #23 Georgia (Bama and South Carolina would have a tougher game)
    Stanford beat #15 ASU (Oregon has a tougher game)
    Mich st and Ohio st played no other BIG team was in the playoff
    Baylory would play #16 UCF vs Oklahoma at South Carolina again the conf champ has a tougher game.
    What conference champ game was the absolute cream of the crop? Has their been a #1 vs #2 in the conference champ game?

If you are so concerned about the non divisional winners getting an easier path why not make sure that at large teams can't have a higher seed 6 thus they will be assured of playing road games and they have sufficient incentive to win their division.

Its not going to be perfect but no system is. It is however going to give us fans some sweet playoff football.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 10-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Btw Ucf beat Baylor so they would be one of the 8

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I also don't think the other conferences would want to incentivize the B12 to expand. I think a playoff with 10 is more likely.

and we dont want them to have any reason to even think about the Y, at least i dont.

Fine but you are penalizing the winner of that game by making them play in champ game while the loser gets to rest before their playoff game.
    Isn't the Big12 scheduled with their last game on conference championship weekend? I forget. Either way, the playoff is a few weeks away. Extra rest is not a big concern.

Isn't the Big12 scheduled with their last game on conference championship weekend? I forget. Either way, the playoff is a few weeks away. Extra rest is not a big concern.
    They end on that week because they don't have a championship game. In the scenario above they would have a "champ" game. Everyone would end the regular season on the same weekend (thanksgiving weekend). The next week would be the conf championship game (Dec 6). The week after would be the Quarter finals (Dec 12). xmas would be 2 weeks away and New years is one week from xmas.

Why wouldn't it agree? 9 times out of 10 they are playing the game in a big 12 stadium. They are getting most of the media money for the game. They get to stay at 10 teams and still get their champ game. I don't think its a hurdle too large.

Why wouldn't it agree? 9 times out of 10 they are playing the game in a big 12 stadium. They are getting most of the media money for the game. They get to stay at 10 teams and still get their champ game. I don't think its a hurdle too large.
    Its demeaning.

Its demeaning.
    Yup, and every once in a while, they will lose that game, and then they don't have a team in the playoff. That is unacceptable.

It will happen eventually, and it will be P5 winners + 3 at large. Nothing wrong with that system.

Yup, and every once in a while, they will lose that game, and then they don't have a team in the playoff. That is unacceptable.

It will happen eventually, and it will be P5 winners + 3 at large. Nothing wrong with that system.
    You guys don't want more football? What is wrong with you?

Its demeaning.
    Colleges are always passing up money cause it might be demeaning. That is sound logic.

Colleges are always passing up money cause it might be demeaning. That is sound logic.

it certainly is sound logic. The B12 is never going to allow itself to be treated differently than the other P5 conferences and create the perception that it is P5-lite. As Sancho points out, the risk of losing even once in a long while and missing the playoff that would cost the conference a lot of money far outweighs what money they might make from a play in game.

it certainly is sound logic. The B12 is never going to allow itself to be treated differently than the other P5 conferences and create the perception that it is P5-lite. As Sancho points out, the risk of losing even once in a long while and missing the playoff that would cost the conference a lot of money far outweighs what money they might make from a play in game.
    Bah... they also have the at large they can make it in as well. Since they don't have two teams playing in the champ game their odds of getting an at large is higher than everyone else

Bah... they also have the at large they can make it in as well. Since they don't have two teams playing in the champ game their odds of getting an at large is higher than everyone else

You get the last word, even if it makes no sense. Congratulations.

You get the last word, even if it makes no sense. Congratulations.
    I see what you are trying to do.

The B12 is never going to allow itself to be treated differently than the other P5 conferences
    Nor should they. The Big12 has been the #2 conference after the SEC for the past few years. It's the #3 this year. It's clearly above the ACC in traditional and current success.

Expansion is coming.

Expansion is coming.
    I think everyone always knew it was inevitable.