Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1034

Thread: 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Some house keeping - Kyle confirmed that Booker is done for the bowl game as well (there had been some mild speculation that he could play in the bowl).
    That's okay. Booker needs to get ready to play at the next level, and Williams needs the reps.
    I'm just remembering how UCLA ran against the byu late in the game. I hope the Utes can churn up some rushing yardage as well.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    That's okay. Booker needs to get ready to play at the next level, and Williams needs the reps.
    I'm just remembering how UCLA ran against the byu late in the game. I hope the Utes can churn up some rushing yardage as well.
    Joe better wear two cups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 12-06-2015 at 04:59 PM.

2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

The Utes are now the textbook example for the rule that the second half of the season is more important than the first. We underperformed our way into this bowl. Now we have a great chance for redemption.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-06-2015 at 05:00 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Utah only has itself to blame. Losses to Arizona and UCLA down the stretch did them in.
    So tired of this line of thinking. Why is Utah the only team punished for dropping games late?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    So tired of this line of thinking. Why is Utah the only team punished for dropping games late?
    Because it gave the folks at ESPN the matchup they wanted.

Trying to pretend there isn't some aspect of the matchup behind this is silly.

(Of course one would also wonder why the Pac12 sends it's #6 team to this bowl)

Honestly, I think we were judged by the way we won games as much as the way we lost them. Even our wins the last half of the season were uninspiring.

Are we the only ones? I honestly don't know. In making selections for the NCAA basketball tournament I know the committee pays attention to how well teams are playing at the end of their season. That makes sense. Maybe that kind of thinking applies to football as well. If you're a bowl you want teams with some pizazz. When a team goes 3-3 in the second half of the season, and even its wins (OSU, Colorado) are ugly, and its marquee player goes out with an injury, I guess bowls will look a little askance at that team when sexier options are available.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

BYU's WRs are the tallest in the nation. They are talented, and they hold on to the ball pretty well.
    Overall their secondary is probably worse than Colorado's, so our WRs should find some separation. Their O line is definitely worse than CUs. Their RB has some speed and a lot of power.

Their run defense is suspect at best, and if there is ever a time for a 300+ yd rushing game (TW + JW) this will be it. 130 yds of passing might be plenty to open up some big passing lanes.

Harvey Langi is a stud, and could have been an All-PAC-12 LB next year. His loss. Instead I expect he will spear, punch, head hunt, and alligator roll his way through the game. Just like he does in every game.

I want to see Tom Hackett run for a First Down or throw a TD pass.

I hope this game lights a fire under the coaching staffs' chairs to increase the potency of the Offense. We are, as always, a strong Offense away from a playoff team, and are instead stuck in a shitty bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm pretty sure the desire is there already with our without this game.
    No doubt, and anything that happens to burn it in a little deeper is a good thing.

--Yeats

Given our anemic offense the last 7 years, the fire ought to be there already. In fact kW is like Joan of Arc at the stake. If we haven't lit a fire already, this game isn't going to do anything

Said everybody since the Sugar Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    BYU's WRs are the tallest in the nation. They are talented, and they hold on to the ball pretty well.
    Overall their secondary is probably worse than Colorado's, so our WRs should find some separation. Their O line is definitely worse than CUs. Their RB has some speed and a lot of power.

Their run defense is suspect at best, and if there is ever a time for a 300+ yd rushing game (TW + JW) this will be it. 130 yds of passing might be plenty to open up some big passing lanes.

Harvey Langi is a stud, and could have been an All-PAC-12 LB next year. His loss. Instead I expect he will spear, punch, head hunt, and alligator roll his way through the game. Just like he does in every game.

I want to see Tom Hackett run for a First Down or throw a TD pass.

I hope this game lights a fire under the coaching staffs' chairs to increase the potency of the Offense. We are, as always, a strong Offense away from a playoff team, and are instead stuck in a shitty bowl game.
    Is there any team in the country that has more success of horrible decision throws by their QB? For years, I've watch BYU QBs fling a 40 yard pass that every other QB has been drilled to just take the sack, only to be caught by a wide open reliever for another head scratching first down. Mangum does it, Hill did it, even Riley Nelson did it. Curious when it's against someone else. Infuriating when it's against you. With our short DBs and their tall receivers, if we give Mangum time, he'll find his guys. Even if we don't give him time, he'll find one or two long ones.

Also, they've got a RB transfer from Washington State that just became eligible to play. (Similar to Jason Thompson for us last year when we went to the Vegas Bowl. Anyone remember when that happened?) Zoobs are convinced that this kid is going to run circles around us. They say hems like a big Jamaal Williams. (Is that the name of their RB that had to sit out a year for having sex? The most recent one, anyway?)

Defensively, they're not nearly as stout against the run this year as they have been. Apparently, they've lost about a billion LB's to injury and suspension, so there's that.

No kidding Washington St lost to Washington. Ucla lost 2 out of its last 3 so did usc

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    No kidding Washington St lost to Washington. Ucla lost 2 out of its last 3 so did usc
    There's no defense for what they've done to us, there are only explanations. The combination of brand name and exciting players puts USC and UCLA ahead of us in the minds of ESPN and the bowls. With wazzu they have a sexy offense and a famous coach. If we still had Booker we may have had a better shot. But any bowl rep who saw us Booker-less against UCLA and CU would have been unimpressed.

--Yeats

We ended up 1st in the conference in total defense, 10th in total offense. I was hoping we'd get out of the bottom quartile in offense this season. What an interesting contrast, and in a way it's a tribute to Whitt that we could go 9-3 and be third in the conference with that dichotomy in our identity.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    10th in total offense
    Remember that our ground game is always going to put us lower in this category than we belong. I think an effective run/pass combo (which we don't have but which we are striving for) is preferable to what Cal and WSU do, but it will never look better statistically.

Remember that our ground game is always going to put us lower in this category than we belong. I think an effective run/pass combo (which we don't have but which we are striving for) is preferable to what Cal and WSU do, but it will never look better statistically.
    Agreed. We were 5th in rushing offense but 11th in passing offense. If we could get the passing up to 6th or thereabouts so it's roughly on par with our rushing, and maintain our defensive superiority, we'd be in great shape.

2015 season stats here:

http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

--Yeats

Agreed. We were 5th in rushing offense but 11th in passing offense. If we could get the passing up to 6th or thereabouts so it's roughly on par with our rushing, and maintain our defensive superiority, we'd be in great shape.
    What other teams are in the top half in both rushing and passing? Oregon? USC? Is Stanford that high in passing?

What other teams are in the top half in both rushing and passing? Oregon? USC? Is Stanford that high in passing?
    Over the last 4-5 years the Trees have been in the third quartile of total offense (7th this year, 10th in passing offense, but first in scoring offense), which is why I think we will also be more than fine if we can get up to near 5th or 6th in the conference in total offense. This year we are 5th in rushing offense, 9th in scoring offense, 11th in passing offense, 10th in total offense. Except for rushing, our offense was a statistical trainwreck. But we won 9 games, are 3rd in the conference and came one win away from the conference championship game, threw a bunch of monkeys of our backs, and are ranked at the end of the regular season. It's remarkable.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-08-2015 at 12:08 PM.

--Yeats

Ha!

Attachment 1725

Dang, the picture is too small. The sign says you must be shorter than 54 inches to play, and Morgan Scalley tweeted that Britain Covey is so lucky.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Ha!

Attachment 1725

Dang, the picture is too small. The sign says you must be shorter than 54 inches to play, and Morgan Scalley tweeted that Britain Covey is so lucky.
    Well, it was an image about Covey.

In all seriousness...

Was it a .png?

I noticed that a .png I uploaded recently was squeezed way down. The settings for .png files is separate than .jpg and it was set to a max of 20k. I bumped it to match .jpg settings.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Well, it was an image about Covey.

In all seriousness...

Was it a .png?

I noticed that a .png I uploaded recently was squeezed way down. The settings for .png files is separate than .jpg and it was set to a max of 20k. I bumped it to match .jpg settings.
    I did a screenshot of the tweet on my iphone, and then uploaded the image. I'm not sure what type of file is created when capturing a screenshot on an iPhone.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

10-3

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    10-3

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    If someone had told me before the season started that the Utes would go 10-3, I would have been elated.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Now we just sit back and watch the rest of the bowl season unfold. Completely stress free. Dang I'm in a good mood. We beat duke and byu and I get to c my family together for 10 more days. 👍

Having a little time to let the day sink in, I feel great. It's a great evening to reflect on:

A basketball win on national TV over Duke, at Madison Square Garden. It has to be one of the top 10 wins for the program, ever, doesn't it?

Seeing our basketball team evolve into what looks like a serious contender. (Kuzma, Bonam, Poeltl, among others.)

A 5th in a row over BYU.

Which capped off our first 10-win season in the PAC-12.

A season in which:

• We tied for the Southern Division championship and were a touchdown away from being in the championship game.
    • We had Game Day on campus and shot to the top tier of college football, until we faltered, injury-riddled, in the second half of the schedule.
    • We fought and scratched our way to all those wins despite some serious limitations in our offense.

It's a great day.

--Yeats

If you look at the season as a whole, it was a very good season for the Utes. 10-3 is a great record with our schedule. We are going to finish in the top 25. Yes there were some disappointments and missed opportunities, but overall it was a fantastic coaching job by Whittingham and a really fun season.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

A basketball win on national TV over Duke, at Madison Square Garden. It has to be one of the top 10 wins for the program, ever, doesn't it?
    That sounds like a fun list:

- Arizona 1998
    - North Carolina 1998
    - KVH MWC tip-in 1997
    - Michigan State in 91 to get to the Sweet 16
    - Oregon State 1966 to get to Final Four
    - National Championship game vs Dartmouth in 1944

It is hard to think of any other pre-season non-conference games that were as big.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    That sounds like a fun list:

- Arizona 1998
    - North Carolina 1998
    - KVH MWC tip-in 1997
    - Michigan State in 91 to get to the Sweet 16
    - Oregon State 1966 to get to Final Four
    - National Championship game vs Dartmouth in 1944

It is hard to think of any other pre-season non-conference games that were as big.
    Alabama in the JMHC when they were ranked #1was big at the time, although they proved to be overrated.