Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

fotu.jpg days until kick off.

The Pac 12 blog previews the QBs in the South. They rank them on Great Shape, Good Shape or We'll See: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...h-quarterbacks

Utah: Say this for Travis Wilson -- he plays the game with reckless abandon. Despite a head injury in 2013 that almost sidelined his career, there he was, flinging all 6-foot-7 of his frame all over The Big House. He threw 18 touchdowns to five interceptions last year, but the coaches would like to see his completion percentage up in at least the mid 60s (60.7 percent last year). His agility is vastly underappreciated, and he showed it off last season, rushing for 309 yards and five touchdowns. He's got an outstanding running back, four of five offensive linemen returning and the best special teams unit in the country. With consistent quarterback play out of Wilson, the Utes could contend for the division. Worth noting, however, that a healthy Kendal Thompson could enter the race. But Wilson did a fairly good job solidifying his spot at the end of last season.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    My biggest concern is O-line, specifically at the tackle positions. Our QB and WR issues start with our consistently poor pass protection. For as much credit as Harding gets for improved line play, our pass protection only went from atrocious to bad. Losing Poutasi will hurt. We don't have a star at tackle, and our depth is seriously scary. If anyone besides Dielman, Tevi, or Barton takes a meaningful snap, at tackle, we are in some serious doodoo. I'm pretty certain that we'll wind up with a true freshman being the next man up.
    Will Barton be a Soph or a RS Freshmen? I've been a little surprised at his inability to crack the depth chart given what you mentioned in terms of us not having great tackle play.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Listen here at about 16:00. (I never listen to Monson but I got a tip on this one.) You'll see why. They are interviewing Bill Plaschke of the L.A. times. You won't be sorry.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150...aschke-WEB.mp3
    This interview is a perfect example of why I'm willing to give Kyle the benefit of the doubt most of the time. He's got so much respect among the national media that covers the Pac 12 that I definitely value their opinions over just about any local person when it comes to Whit's performance and job security.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Will Barton be a Soph or a RS Freshmen? I've been a little surprised at his inability to crack the depth chart given what you mentioned in terms of us not having great tackle play.
    Barton is a redshirt freshman and I believe is the backup at RT, at least on the early depth chart.

\For as much credit as Harding gets for improved line play, our pass protection only went from atrocious to bad.
    It all begins with the Oline. A great Oline will make any set of QB/WR/RB look good. I was down on our line in 2012 and 2013, but I really thought they played well in 2014. I felt like our QBs had as much time as anyone not playing for Alabama or Ohio State. I admit that I do not have a trained eye in this, but I remember thinking over and over again "well, sancho, you can't keep blaming the line for Wilson's play."

This ESPN writer ranks Utah's defense third in the PAC-12, behind UCLA and Oregon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...-best-defenses

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

You guys didn't think I'd forget just because it's the weekend did you?

41 days.jpg Days until kickoff!

From what LA Ute posted:

3. UtahReturning starters: 6
    Returning playmakers: LB Jared Norris (116 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss), DE Hunter Dimick (10 sacks, 14.5 TFL), LB Gionni Paul (4 interceptions), DTLowell Lotulelei
    Returning D-line: 2 of 4
    FPI ranking: 28
    Verdict: The Utes might have ranked second if not for the departure of coordinator Kalani Sitake and cornerback Dominique Hatfield being kicked off the team this summer. They ranked fourth in the conference in scoring defense last year and third in yards per play. Many of the key pieces are back this fall despite the departure of All-Ameircan end Nate Orchard and his 18.5 sacks. What separates Utah on defense, however, is not just potential stars; it's the big, meaty, interior defensive linemen, led by Lotulelei, younger brother of Star Lotulelei. Their physicality inside creates opportunities on the perimeter -- see a nation-leading 55 sacks last year.

Donovan Isom to transfer close to home. Southeastern Louisiana I believe.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Sounded like he wasn't climbing any charts here. He was a good recruiter for us though.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Another failed QB recruit.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Another failed QB recruit.

Bullshit Funk. You're full of utter Bullshit.

We have two QBs in the same class, and one clearly separated himself from the other. What happens in this circumstance is that the second guy transfers. We had a QB battle where somebody finally decisively won. What we need now is for at least one more transfer to make room for another guy who can push Hansen.

the only failure right now is that we don't have an incoming transfer to replace Manning.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 07-26-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It all begins with the Oline. A great Oline will make any set of QB/WR/RB look good. I was down on our line in 2012 and 2013, but I really thought they played well in 2014. I felt like our QBs had as much time as anyone not playing for Alabama or Ohio State. I admit that I do not have a trained eye in this, but I remember thinking over and over again "well, sancho, you can't keep blaming the line for Wilson's play."
    Our O-line was improved in run blocking but still poor in pass blocking. This football outsiders piece is the best looked at opponent-adjusted O-line performance that I've seen. We ranked #42 in run blocking (Booker's yards after first contact likely giving a boost) and 94th in pass blocking (with KT's propensity for taking too many sacks maybe hurting us a little here). That pass blocking is still terrible.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

40 days.jpg Days until kickoff vs. Michigan.

From the Pac 12 mailbag:

Scott writes: I was wondering if the toughest three-game stretch for Utah has been posted on the blog. I tried searching for it and found every other team except Utah. Did I miss it? Or is there a chance it hasn't been posted yet?

Ted Miller:

Utah has a brutal schedule but it doesn't have an obvious "toughest three-game stretch."

My vote, however, would go to this:
    Nov. 7 at Washington
    Nov. 14 at Arizona
    Nov. 21 UCLA

I know expectations for the Huskies aren't high this year, but a November visit to Seattle is not easy. Husky Stadium is a tough venue and the elements -- windy, rainy -- could be a factor.
    Oh, and Utah is 0-8 all-time against Washington, losing its two games with the Huskies as a Pac-12 member by a combined count of 65-29.
    No need to explain the road trip to Arizona, which whipped the Utes 42-10 last year in Salt Lake, and the date with UCLA. One would imagine those two games will have significant meaning in the South Division race.
    Odds for success? From my perspective now, I don't see 3-0, but 2-1 is pretty plausible and might be good enough to keep the Utes in the South race as they play host to Colorado the final weekend of the regular season.

It sure would be nice to get the Washington monkey off our back this year.

We have two QBs in the same class, and one clearly separated himself from the other. What happens in this circumstance is that the second guy transfers. We had a QB battle where somebody finally decisively won. What we need now is for at least one more transfer to make room for another guy who can push Hansen.

the only failure right now is that we don't have an incoming transfer to replace Manning.
    When we have a QB that is recruited by our coaching staff that can even crack the top 8 in the conference, you can call bullshit. Last year almost half the teams in conference had a better backup than our starter.

Isom is another coaching staff failure. He was basically beat out by a guy that no one ever expected to even be a QB.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

This particular QB situation is so unique it is hard to even categorize it. Kid's family loses everything in a fire over the summer and he wants to play closer to home as a result, I don't find that to be a failure on anyone's part.

It opens the door for one of the young guys left to really take the reigns when this season is over, and it also allows the coaches to go out and recruit a couple of guys at the position. I'd put Dennis Erickson on the case.

This particular QB situation is so unique it is hard to even categorize it. Kid's family loses everything in a fire over the summer and he wants to play closer to home as a result, I don't find that to be a failure on anyone's part.

It opens the door for one of the young guys left to really take the reigns when this season is over, and it also allows the coaches to go out and recruit a couple of guys at the position. I'd put Dennis Erickson on the case.
    If it was for personal reasons, I'll give the coaching staff some slack. Not that they deserve any slack with QB recruiting. I was told Cox and Manning were different, they weren't. I was told Isom was different, not sure he really is different. If we really was P5 starter quality, you would think he could find a better place to transfer.

--fjm.com

It sure would be nice to get the Washington monkey off our back this year.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Almost thought I had made the mistake of talking politics with my father-in-law again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Almost thought I had made the mistake of talking politics with my father-in-law again.
    I keep it all above board.

Our O-line was improved in run blocking but still poor in pass blocking. This football outsiders piece is the best looked at opponent-adjusted O-line performance that I've seen. We ranked #42 in run blocking (Booker's yards after first contact likely giving a boost) and 94th in pass blocking (with KT's propensity for taking too many sacks maybe hurting us a little here). That pass blocking is still terrible.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol
    I don't trust offensive line stats at all. I don't really trust my eyes either, but I'm going with them over these stats. Is there a resident offensive line expert? I would trust him more than either.

My early take on our schedule:

Michigan 9/3 - Win. Harbaugh will be a good coach in Ann Arbor, but with the returning talent and four weeks of camp, not going to beat us in SLC. I hope it's 90F, for an effective elevation of 8500 feet.

USU 9/11 - Win. We'll show very little air game

@Fresno 9/19 - Win. 8 days between games for 2nd and 3rd games is helpful.

@Oregon 9/26 - Loss. I was wrong about several games last year, hoping I'm wrong here, too.

BYE - needed

Cal 10/10 - Win. I think Dykes will have the Bears improving, but not enough to beat us in RES.

ASU 10/17 - Win. We owe this team.

@USC 10/24 - Loss. If we beat USC at the Coliseum, Whitt will be PAC coach of the year, or Sarkesian will be on his way out.

Oregon State 10/31 - Win. Gary might have the Beavs on an upward trend, but by Halloween, in RES? Revenge match? Whitt prevails.

@Washington 11/7 - Loss. We owe the Huskies, too, but if we're going to have a let down game, this one would be tolerable.

@Arizona 11/14 - Loss. Prove me wrong (again) Utes!

UCLA 11/21 - Win. My sense is Mora's time in Westwood will be starting to wear thin.

Colorado 11/28 - Win. CU's definitely not as bad as their record from last year, and I think we'll get another fight from them, but we'll be able to prevail.

I'll throw in another loss somewhere in there, for an official prediction of 7-5. Anything greater = fantastic, anything less = no bueno.

39 Days.jpg Days until kickoff. I suspect it will come down to Andy Phillips for at least one of our games, if not more. I'm glad to have our special teams be as solid as they are.

39 Days.jpgI suspect it will come down to Andy Phillips for at least one of our games, if not more. I'm glad to have our special teams be as solid as they are.
    Special teams probably won 4 games last year, maybe more if you count Clay's returns.

I really hope the offense & defense improve, because it's unrealistic to assume your punter will win the Ray Guy award two years in a row, and your kicker will be All-PAC again. Oregon State and UCLA could have both been losses, if their kickers don't miss makeable FGs.

I never thought I'd say this, but Hackett and Phillips are better than Sakoda. (Phillips has greater range, Hackett has revolutionized punting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    My early take on our schedule:

I'll throw in another loss somewhere in there, for an official prediction of 7-5. Anything greater = fantastic, anything less = no bueno.
    Last year was probably the most enjoyable football season for me besides 2004 and 2008. Each game meant something and was exciting. The Utes won more than they lost. I agree with your prediction and hope for something greater.

For me the season looks like this:

Sure wins: @Fresno.
    Probable wins: CU, OSU, USU, Cal, Mich
    Toss ups: ASU, UCLA, @UW
    Probable losses: @UA, @USC
    Sure losses: @ Ore

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Last year was probably the most enjoyable football season for me besides 2004 and 2008. Each game meant something and was exciting. The Utes won more than they lost. I agree with your prediction and hope for something greater.

I've never had as much fun following Utah football as I did last season. 2004 and 2008 were in a class by themselves, but so was 2014. What's even more fun to think about is that someday 2014 will be surpassed. I hope to be around when that happens.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Isom is another coaching staff failure. He was basically beat out by a guy that no one ever expected to even be a QB.
    If he got beat out by anyone, it was Hansen.

I just don't see it as a coaching staff failure. Did he have the potential to play in the PAC 12 when he was signed? I think that is a maybe. BJ thought so, but I am not sure everyone on the staff agreed with him. Did he fail to progress in his 1 year in the program? Again, I don't know the answer to that. Does his inability to move ahead of 2 guys who are entering their third year in the program and a kid who is 3 years older than him mean that he was a coaching staff failure. By that definition, every kid who is not on the two deep his second year in the program is a coaching staff failure.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

There's no such thing as a sure loss with this team in this league. Additionally, I would put Michigan in as a toss-up. I cannot put them in the same class as the other schools whom we'll probably beat.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There's no such thing as a sure loss with this team in this league. Additionally, I would put Michigan in as a toss-up. I cannot put them in the same class as the other schools whom we'll probably beat.

I think "sure" here is just a stronger version of "probable". I'm with you, move Michigan into the toss-up category, and we have ourselves a list.

Does anyone have an idea as to when season tickets will be mailed out? It seems like its always around this time

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Does anyone have an idea as to when season tickets will be mailed out? It seems like its always around this time
    I believe I saw some out on Twitter already...so, maybe any day now?