Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Four-Game Cupcake Thread, Presented by Hostess

The Official Four-Game Cupcake Thread, Presented by Hostess

Figured we'd keep the next run of games here, unless someone has a clever title for our Alabama State matchup in the "Utah Classic"

Anyway, last year's RPIs of our next four opponents:

UC Riverside, 319

UT-Pan American, 311

North Dakota, 213 (not to be confused with NCAA bid-earner North Dakota State, 33)

Alabama State, 253

I'll say this about this "Classic" we've scheduled now for the past three years -- low majors have to be banging down the door to play in it. They're probably going to get a travel reimbursement from us. They're going to get a game on TV and the other two are against peer schools on a neutral floor. Go look at the non-con schedules these schools play -- North Dakota doesn't have a single home non-conference game against a D-1 opponent. Alabama State and UT-PA each have one.

This may be off topic, but does anyone know if the "Utah Classic" thing is going away next year with Utah playing in the Puerto Rico tournament? I would assume Utah doesn't want to condense half it's nonconference schedule into two three-day bunches.

Let's start with the UC Riverside Highlanders. It looks like Larry and the team watched film of the same SDS​U game we saw and noticed the same things we did:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1853390...#disqus_thread
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-20-2014 at 09:54 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm sure the Big 3 will score a lot. Loveridge will hit most of his outside shots during the 4-game span. Taylor will get more open looks.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Let's start with the UC Riverside Highlanders. It looks like Larry and the team watched film of the same SDS​U game we saw and noticed the same things we did:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1853390...#disqus_thread

So had a chance to watch the first 1/2---(I know get a life)--
    the 2 solid picks were by Reyes--but the problem is the "smalls" do not rub off their defender.
    Poeltl's block at the end of the half was hard to believe for a 7+ player--ran the length of the court from behind--jumped at the right time & blocked a jumper from behind--without fouling.

Finally: Great Bill Walton line to his co-announcer on a charge taken by Bach that co-announcer said was correctly called a block : "Have you had your glasses cleaned or checked lately?"

Our weak-side help defense still needs a lot of work.

Kuzma is lighting it up from outside.

Deion had 2 threes and a third with his foot on the line. They were all nothing but net.

Glad he made those -- good for his confidence.

That's what happens when you are not defended.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Deion had 2 threes and a third with his foot on the line. They were all nothing but net.

-Poeltl is going to be here for two years and then go pro.
    -Brekkott is a player.
    -Kuzma had it going tonight. Obviously unsustainable, but if he can find consistency, he is going to be a nightmare to guard.
    -Loveridge and Wright did things that Loveridge and Wright do.
    -I dont know how long Reyes can keep Brekkott out of the starting five, but that kid will always have a big role here. Just goes crashing hard on the boards and in conference, we will need him.
    -Isaiah Wright with 8 assists and 1 turnover. He is our starting point guard next year.
    -With Kenny Ogbe playing so well right now........can anyone tell me where Dakari gets minutes once he gets healthy?

After these first three games, it is safe to say that we have a very very good defense. Offensively, I still want a little more proof against a quality opponent. Good thing is, we have got plenty of those coming up.

On to the next one.

Quick note: I am very excited for San Diego St and BYU coming up on monday night. That will be a nice gauge for us.

Remember when Loveridge, Tucker, Olsen, and Taylor were freshmen and the building blocks that we hoped would be able to get us into the tournament by the time they were upperclassmen? Now they're being pushed or, in the case of Olsen and Tucker, have been passed up by underclassmen, including a few true freshman. This is the way a program is built; successful classes establishing a strong foundation for even more successful classes in the future.

Tucker has a broken rib in case anyone hasn't heard how. Said he'll be out till he can play through it

Tucker has a broken rib in case anyone hasn't heard how. Said he'll be out till he can play through it
    Was he trying to set a screen on Reyes?

Ouch.

Phil Cullen's e-mail today:

With the Thanksgiving Holiday upon us I want to make sure each one of you know how much we appreciate your support. The University of Utah is a special place made up of special people and we are truly grateful for the opportunity to represent our University.

This weekend we host our Thanksgiving Tournament and will play three games in four nights. Below are the game times and dates.

Our opponents will bring with them each their own unique style of play. We will see a mixture of defenses this weekend ranging from 1-1-3 zone to full court man to man defenses and a variety of offensive tempos.

Defensively we are working on building our identity. The daily theme in practice has been to hang our hat on defensive end of the floor and rebounding the basketball.

Look to see a mixture of lineups this week as we will be trying to keep guys fresh to allow us to play to the best of our abilities for all three games.

Please see our tournament schedule below:

11/26 Utah vs. Texas-Pan American - 6 p.m.

11/28 Utah vs. North Dakota - 8 p.m.

11/29 Utah vs. Alabama State - 7 p.m.

We have also attached a great picture of Coach K from his new office view. What do you think?
    KryskoOffice.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Phil Cullen's e-mail today:

KryskoOffice.jpg
    Coach K needs some new jeans. Those are way too baggy.

Thank goodness to Poeltl. Loveridge & Taylor just can't create their own shot and, with defense packed, D/Wright can't seem to penetrate -- this is against UTPA. Still early though. Faster tempo would be better against this kind of zone d.

D/Wright!...just hit his first 3, without much hesitation.

The newbies are playing really well. Really like I/Wright and Poeltl. Kuzma is starting to pick it up.

They got that worked out. It's 50-26 at half. Delon with 12 (one 3), Kuzma with 10, Poeltl with 8 points and 8 boards. Jordan with 8 and Taylor with 7. I Wright has 3 assists.

I Wright has 3 assists.
    One was a sweet assist to Poeltl to beat the shot clock.

Just arrived at the game. Arena looks great.

--Yeats

Thus far, I/Wright really does seem to have good BB IQ.

I. Wright is the smallest Utah player on the court right now.

--Yeats

The most embarrassing part of joining the Pac12 has to be the officials that would get fired from Jr Jazz

JO with the sweet no shave November.

Competition level aside, much better execution.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Competition level aside, much better execution.
    At 14 minutes of first half we had Delon and the 4 freshmen on the floor. That group is really good. Plus Reyes is a great future.
    Kuzma had 2 really nice drives--basically flying the last 8-10 feet to dunk. He is really coordinated--good rebounder.
    he played some 4 tonight as Brekkot had early fouls.

nice win

I spotted you, OSU.

--Yeats

I spotted you, OSU.
    Throw something at me next time---where are you located?
    Love the arena's new look.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thus far, I/Wright really does seem to have good BB IQ.
    I agree. I watched him a lot tonight and was very impressed. He got guys in position and had a good sense of when to push and when to pull back. I don't think I have seen him jump into the air when passing yet.