Thread: Mark Strand

Mark Strand

Mark Strand died. His obituary has been on page 1 of the NY Times as he was a Pulitzer winning poet and former United States poet laureate. He spent his last years (2005-2014) at Columbia, but the most time he spent in any one place was the University of Utah, where he was a professor of English from 1981 to 1993. I think he really became a celebrity while at Utah. I regret I didn't take a course from him.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-01-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Mark Strand died. His obituary has been on page 1 of the NY Times as he was a Pulitzer winning poet and former United States poet laureate. He spent his last years (2005-2014) at Columbia, but his the most time he spent in any one place was the University of Utah, where he was a professor of English from 1981 to 1993. I think he really became a celebrity while at Utah. I regret I didn't take a course from him.
    He became poet laureate while at Utah. Creative writing there is one of the little-known "star" programs. That reputation was what attracted Strand to Utah and he added to it greatly while he was there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He became poet laureate while at Utah. Creative writing there is one of the little-known "star" programs. That reputation was what attracted Strand to Utah and he added to it greatly while he was there.
    I'm happy to say that I was a creative writing minor.

I'm sure that most of you had already guessed that from my body of work on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

I'm sure that most of you had already guessed that from my body of work on this website.
    I think it is the graduate program that gets the kudos, but you breathed the same air as those guys so we'll give you credit for that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

High five. Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    High five. Me too.
    Booyah! I knew I liked your writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My understanding is that the U creative writing is another area where we can look down at our rivals to the south who are invested in genre writing instead of literature.
    Oh, come on. They'll have a U.S. poet laureate someday. A Nobel Prize winner too!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My understanding is that the U creative writing is another area where we can look down at our rivals to the south who are invested in genre writing instead of literature.
    Have you ever read their athletics press releases and marketing campaigns? If that's not creative writing I don't know what is

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    High five. Me too.
    I was a creative writing major for about a year after I decided that I wasn't keen on the lab coat wearing/premed biology career path. I took important courses like "Techniques of Greek Rhetoric" that I continue to draw upon daily. Thank goodness for USU's Fisheries and Wildlife program that saved me from a lifetime of Starbucks employment.