Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Urban Meyer thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I just want you guys to be consistent, and to act like you belong in the Pac 12. I was chided here for pulling for BYU against Gonzaga, even though a BYU win would have materially elevated our RPI (which was the only reason I wanted BYU to win). All the reasons that make us want bad things to happen to BYU compeled pulling for Ohio State yesterday -- unless you don't really regard Oregon as a peer and a competitor of the Utes. To me, BYU is in the past, it doesn't matter much. But Oregon is a real threat, and Oregon's success in many ways makes it harder for us to succeed. I live in a place where fans of the dominant school have been eating duck shit for many years, after the ducks ate husky shit since the dawn of football. They put rubber ducks in urinals here at Duck games. No Husky fan wanted Oregon to win, nor did Trojan, Bruin, etc. fans. For the same reasons we never cheer for BYU. So let's act like we're Oregon's rivals.
    We're not Oregon's rival though. Their fans have been nothing but great to me. Their team, coaches, and fans all showed great respect and acted with a lot of class after they thumped the Utes. I don't hate them. It's definitely not on par with BYU and their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    We're not Oregon's rival though. Their fans have been nothing but great to me. Their team, coaches, and fans all showed great respect and acted with a lot of class after they thumped the Utes. I don't hate them. It's definitely not on par with BYU and their fans.
    I'm sure Oregon fans were grateful for the gift they received. They woudn't have "thumped us" had it not been for Kaelin Clay's generosity. I'm sure you saw the stat last night that Oregon hasn't come back from a 14 point deficit since October 2, 2010. We'd have been ahead 34-23 in the fourth quarter, even ignoring the adverse momentum swing Clay's stupidity caused us.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I just want you guys to be consistent, and to act like you belong in the Pac 12. I was chided here for pulling for BYU against Gonzaga, even though a BYU win would have materially elevated our RPI (which was the only reason I wanted BYU to win). All the reasons that make us want bad things to happen to BYU compeled pulling for Ohio State yesterday -- unless you don't really regard Oregon as a peer and a competitor of the Utes. To me, BYU is in the past, it doesn't matter much. But Oregon is a real threat, and Oregon's success in many ways makes it harder for us to succeed. I live in a place where fans of the dominant school have been eating duck shit for many years, after the ducks ate husky shit since the dawn of football. They put rubber ducks in urinals here at Duck games. No Husky fan wanted Oregon to win, nor did Trojan, Bruin, etc. fans. For the same reasons we never cheer for BYU. So let's act like we're Oregon's rivals.
    Wrong. I know many who were pulling for the Ducks. It is understandable and appropriate for Washington fans to root against them, of course. So you are not completely wrong.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wrong. I know many who were pulling for the Ducks. It is understandable and appropriate for Washington fans to root against them, of course. So you are not completely wrong.
    Look at the third picture down. That ball came out of his hand before he broke the plane. Somebody decided to be merciful, probably because they didn't want the NC to be decided that way, and the whole notion of this kind of thing happening is so ghastly. What is it about these guys thinking it's cute to drop the ball close to the goal line. I notice that in the NFL they spike it in the end zone, or hand it to the ref.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...me.html?pg=all
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Look at the third picture down. That ball came out of his hand before he broke the plane. Somebody decided to be merciful, probably because they didn't want the NC to be decided that way, and the whole notion of this kind of thing happening is so ghastly. What is it about these guys thinking it's cute to drop the ball close to the goal line. I notice that in the NFL they spike it in the end zone, or hand it to the ref.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...me.html?pg=all
    What are you looking at? the ball is clearly in his hand after he breaks the plane. Look at the first gif. He flips the tip with his fingers after he crosses the line. And as the announcer noted, the ball has to be completely out of his hand (i.e., not touching it) before he breaks the plane for it to be a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What are you looking at? the ball is clearly in his hand after he breaks the plane. Look at the first gif. He flips the tip with his fingers after he crosses the line. And as the announcer noted, the ball has to be completely out of his hand (i.e., not touching it) before he breaks the plane for it to be a drop.
    The ball was coming out of his hand before he broke the plane. Was some part of his hand still in contact with it? I don't know because his hand is in the way; my experience with gravity tells me not likely. Still, what the sam hill was he doing? What is the matter with these morans?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The ball was coming out of his hand before he broke the plane. Was some part of his hand still in contact with it? I don't know because his hand is in the way; my experience with gravity tells me not likely. Still, what the sam hill was he doing? What is the matter with these morans?
    I didnt say he wasnt a moron, just that the ref made the correct call. Look at the first gif reverse angle where he is going right to left. He is well across the plane; view not blocked.

I didnt say he wasnt a moron, just that the ref made the correct call. Look at the first gif reverse angle where he is going right to left. He is well across the plane; view not blocked.
    I can't be objective about this. I had such a strong feeling of schadenfreude when that play was under review.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I can't be objective about this. I had such a strong feeling of schadenfreude when that play was under review.
    It would have been the irony of ironies, esp. after Kaelin's tweets. I didnt notice it (or Clay's either for that matter), but my son saw it right off in real time and yelled he did just what Kaelin did. according to some of the comments to the DNews atricle, Marshall did this in the first game of the season and lost the TD.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-13-2015 at 04:52 PM.

It would have been the irony of ironies, esp. after Kaelin's tweets. I didnt notice it (or Clay's either for that matter), but my son saw it right off in real time and yelled he did just what Kaelin did. according to some of the comments to the DNews atricle, Marshall did this in the first game of the season and lost the TD.
    You should have seen the looks on the Oregon fans' faces around me. They knew exactly what was happening. This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Here's Kaelin's tweet, which he posted in real time:

https://twitter.com/CALiboy4/status/554848304685531136
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-13-2015 at 05:25 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.
    Uhh, is that the type of exquisite sex you pontificate about?

You should have seen the looks on the Oregon fans' faces around me. They knew exactly what was happening. This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

--Yeats

I'm sure Oregon fans were grateful for the gift they received. They woudn't have "thumped us" had it not been for Kaelin Clay's generosity. I'm sure you saw the stat last night that Oregon hasn't come back from a 14 point deficit since October 2, 2010. We'd have been ahead 34-23 in the fourth quarter, even ignoring the adverse momentum swing Clay's stupidity caused us.
    I agree Clay probably cost us that game. I was pissed for weeks, though I'm over it now.

Oregon fans have been very pleasant to deal with for many years. I can't think of a bad experience with them. Even back in the MWC days. There's friendly banter before the game, and pure class after the game.

I can't believe you or anyone would compare them to BYU and their fans. There is no comparison. Oregon is everything BYU wishes they were, and their fans are the kind of people you can actually watch a game with and everyone have a good time.
    Last edited by utefan; 01-13-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here's Kaelin's tweet, which he posted in real time:

https://twitter.com/CALiboy4/status/554848304685531136
    Hahaha! That is great!

two interesting tweets (with apologies to Alex Smith):

Favorited 9,459 times
    SportsCenter@SportsCenter 20h20 hours ago
    Ohio State has played in 6 games as an underdog under Urban Meyer.They've won all 6.

Jason Whitlock@WhitlockJason 2h2 hours ago
    Consider this about Cadale Jones. Name a QB Urban Meyer hasn't made look spectacular and then examine their professional performance.

two interesting tweets (with apologies to Alex Smith):

Favorited 9,459 times
    SportsCenter@SportsCenter 20h20 hours ago
    Ohio State has played in 6 games as an underdog under Urban Meyer.They've won all 6.

Jason Whitlock@WhitlockJason 2h2 hours ago
    Consider this about Cadale Jones. Name a QB Urban Meyer hasn't made look spectacular and then examine their professional performance.
    Huge overstatement by Whitlock. Urban's only QBs that have used up their eligibility are Alex Smith, Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. No one ever thought Leak would be an NFL QB and the media built up Tebow to unwarranted heights. Plenty of people raised red flags about Tebow's likelihood of success in the pro game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Huge overstatement by Whitlock. Urban's only QBs that have used up their eligibility are Alex Smith, Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. No one ever thought Leak would be an NFL QB and the media built up Tebow to unwarranted heights. Plenty of people raised red flags about Tebow's likelihood of success in the pro game.
    Their college eligibility? Alex left early.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Uhh, is that the type of exquisite sex you pontificate about?
    You need to broaden your cultural experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Realm_of_the_Senses

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

My thought, one day late. I love Urban and think he's a great football coach. But I've been surprised at the over-the-top reaction to him winning another title. He did not take a big underdog all the way. He did not take a struggling program and turn it around. He took a job at one of the top 5 programs in history, a team loaded with 4/5 star talent from top to bottom, and took that team all the way. It's less impressive than what he did at Florida, and that was less impressive than what he did at Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My thought, one day late. I love Urban and think he's a great football coach. But I've been surprised at the over-the-top reaction to him winning another title. He did not take a big underdog all the way. He did not take a struggling program and turn it around. He took a job at one of the top 5 programs in history, a team loaded with 4/5 star talent from top to bottom, and took that team all the way. It's less impressive than what he did at Florida, and that was less impressive than what he did at Utah.
    This is a ridiculous comment. A lot of schools like Texas, Notre Dame and USC meet your description and didn't smell a national title.

Besides three national championships at two schools he has two undefeated seasons, at two schools, in which he was not allowed to compete for the national title. Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

This is a ridiculous comment. A lot of schools like Texas, Notre Dame and USC meet your description and didn't smell a national title.

Besides three national championships at two schools he has two undefeated seasons, at two schools, in which he was not allowed to compete for the national title. Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.
    Yeah, well, he's clearly a good coach, and ND, USC, and Texas would fire their coach today if they knew they could get him. Winning a title at Ohio State is a nice little resume builder. But it's not a surprising upset, and it's not something that makes him the greatest football coach of all time.

If the committee had done the right thing and put TCU in the playoff instead of either FSU or OSU, then Gary Patterson may have won the first ever college national championship at TCU. Now that would be a mind blowing coaching feat.

I am not sure I want to broaden my unconsciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, well, he's clearly a good coach, and ND, USC, and Texas would fire their coach today if they knew they could get him. Winning a title at Ohio State is a nice little resume builder. But it's not a surprising upset, and it's not something that makes him the greatest football coach of all time.

If the committee had done the right thing and put TCU in the playoff instead of either FSU or OSU, then Gary Patterson may have won the first ever college national championship at TCU. Now that would be a mind blowing coaching feat.
    In the context of the college football playoff, you're right, this isn't a Cinderella story. It's going to take people time (probably until it expands to 8 or until a non P5 school gets in) to stop trying to fit the college football playoff into the march madness mold and talk about upsets etc. Every single year, we're going to get 4 really good teams in the playoff, so from that standpoint you are right.

I do however think that it cements Urban as 1a if Saban is 1 as far as college coaches go. He may not have had a huge hill to climb, but at a school coming off a controversy and going 6-7 (3-5) under Luke Fickell, I think it is clear that the guy knows how to get the maximum effort out of his players. Hopefully we'll get a few years of Meyer vs. Harbaugh before Urban jumps to the NFL to coach the Redskins.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

. . . Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.
    Brady Poppinga said on the radio this morning that he thinks the 2004 Utah team wins the playoff if it was structured then like it is now. Of course, he said a lot of other stupid stuff, like Bronco being a top 5 football coach at any level, so take it for what it's worth.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Sounds more like unconsciousness to me.