Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Urban Meyer thread

The Urban Meyer thread

I was in the pub by my house the other day and asked the bartender if she could put on the Florida-Georgetown game. She said, "Oh, are you a Gator?" I said no, I'm a Hoya and more than that a Ute. I reminded her that Urban coached at both our schools. She replied, "He's a liar, we don't like him." Of course I've heard this from many Ute fans too, so I thought it was interesting. I had no idea Florida fans felt this way (I have learned since then that it's a widespread belief that he faked his illness or nervous breakdown or whatever to enable a move to Ohio State). I almost asked her the question I've put to Ute fans, "Oh? You don't like Urban? Tell me about your football tradition before Urban" (B.U. as I sometimes say).
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

LOL. That's funny, and it's really weird how wrapped up fanbases get in all of this stuff.

His breakdown wasn't fake. He had some crazy stress-related stuff going on when he was here. I'll always appreciate Urban for letting me attend practice. He is extraordinarily savvy on technology, and the guy is an absolute genius at PR and motivational psychology. But there is a slippery aspect there, too.

Florida had a tremendous tradition before Urban (not Alabama, but damn good), which is one of the reasons he took that job over ND. have we forgotten the Ole Ball Coach? Pat Sullivan? Gatorade? (Tha'ts all I can think of; I don't follow them very closely).

A better question is what was their basketball tradition B.D.

P.s. I have always thought that urban's heart condition may be real, but if so was induced by Nick Saban.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    LOL. That's funny, and it's really weird how wrapped up fanbases get in all of this stuff.

His breakdown wasn't fake. He had some crazy stress-related stuff going on when he was here. I'll always appreciate Urban for letting me attend practice. He is extraordinarily savvy on technology, and the guy is an absolute genius at PR and motivational psychology. But there is a slippery aspect there, too.
    He's good at PR, but he also forgets what he's said in the past and thus gets himself branded as a liar. (I'm being generous here, reality probably is he doesn't care that he changes his tune to get what he wants. Urban is a politician in reality)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He's good at PR, but he also forgets what he's said in the past and thus gets himself branded as a liar. (I'm being generous here, reality probably is he doesn't care that he changes his tune to get what he wants. Urban is a politician in reality)
    Well put. "Liar" is a little harsh, but it's understandable how that term gets applied.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Florida had a tremendous tradition before Urban (not Alabama, but damn good), which is one of the reasons he took that job over ND. have we forgotten the Ole Ball Coach? Pat Sullivan? Gatorade? (Tha'ts all I can think of; I don't follow them very closely).

A better question is what was their basketball tradition B.D.

P.s. I have always thought that urban's heart condition may be real, but if so was induced by Nick Saban.
    They won twice as many National Championships under Urban as they had accumulated before. Spurrier got them their only previous one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

I see Florida much like Texas. A handful of or maybe 3 or 4 spectacular years and an abundance of money and glitz and access to the best recruits but under close examination the tradition doesn't stack up to what you'd expect. It's not even close to Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame. I'd put Miami or FSU above it. Florida is no. 3 in the state for football traditions.

They should forgive Urban his hubris and other foibles and adore him, as we should.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    They won twice as many National Championships under Urban as they had accumulated before. Spurrier got them their only previous one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

I see Florida much like Texas. A handful of or maybe 3 or 4 spectacular years and an abundance of money and glitz and access to the best recruits but under close examination the tradition doesn't stack up to what you'd expect. It's not even close to Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame. I'd put Miami or FSU above it. Florida is no. 3 in the state for football traditions.

They should forgive Urban his hubris and other foibles and adore him, as we should.
    100% agree! I love Pope Urban!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    100% agree! I love Pope Urban!
    He's a politician and possibly the best college football coach who ever lived. I love being a piece of that rock. I forgive him his ambition, it's part of what makes him great.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

He's a politician and possibly the best college football coach who ever lived. I love being a piece of that rock. I forgive him his ambition, it's part of what makes him great.
    If another coach wants to swoop in to Utah for 2 years and go 22-2 before heading for greener pastures, be my guest.

You are hyperventilating. I love him too for all the reasons you said, but he isn't even the best coach currently. Saban is hands down. And I agree with your assessment of Florida relative to Alabama, USC, etc., but that is light years removed from suggesting that they had no tradition before Urban, or that their tradition was comparable to ours before Urban.

Yes, I agree. Utah football would be like Utah State football without Urban. Very appreciative and I'll be a lifelong fan of his.

Thanks to him, we probably won't be the "farm team" going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    Yes, I agree. Utah football would be like Utah State football without Urban. Very appreciative and I'll be a lifelong fan of his.

Thanks to him, we probably won't be the "farm team" going forward.
    Ronnie Mac + Urban + Kyle... each played pivotal roles. Before these guys, we were lost in the wilderness.

You are hyperventilating. I love him too for all the reasons you said, but he isn't even the best coach currently. Saban is hands down. And I agree with your assessment of Florida relative to Alabama, USC, etc., but that is light years removed from suggesting that they had no tradition before Urban, or that their tradition was comparable to ours before Urban.
    Saban is hands down better? Meyer has two national championships, plus what he's done at Utah and Ohio State. He's 50, and Saban had not one national championship when he was 50 (Saban is 63). Meyer has two undefeated seasons (at Utah and Ohio State) in seasons in which he wasn't allowed to compete for the national title. Moreover, when they were in the SEC togather Meyer pretty much owned Saban until the last year. You can make a case case for Saban, but he's not hands down better. What Urban has done at three different schools is practically unprecedented.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Saban is hands down better? Meyer has two national championships, plus what he's done at Utah and Ohio State. He's 50, and Saban had not one national championship when he was 50 (Saban is 63). Meyer has two undefeated seasons (at Utah and Ohio State) in seasons in which he wasn't allowed to compete for the national title. Moreover, when they were in the SEC togather Meyer pretty much owned Saban until the last year. You can make a case case for Saban, but he's not hands down better. What Urban has done at three different schools is practically unprecedented.
    I actually agree with Seattle on this one. I think I'd take Urban over Saban if I were trying to build a program. If I were trying to create a dynasty at a name-school (Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma), I'd take Saban.

The one thing I'm not sure that Urban possesses is a long-view on creating a dynasty. He might be too impatient to every realize such a thing.

Preach on brother!

I couldn't possibly agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I actually agree with Seattle on this one. I think I'd take Urban over Saban if I were trying to build a program. If I were trying to create a dynasty at a name-school (Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma), I'd take Saban.

The one thing I'm not sure that Urban possesses is a long-view on creating a dynasty. He might be too impatient to every realize such a thing.
    Saban has won four national championships at two different schools. He succeeded at Toledo, Mich State, and LSU. I'll bet Saban wins more nc's from here on out than Meyer ever does.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-03-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Saban has won four national championships at two different schools. He succeeded at Toledo, Mich State, and LSU. I'll bet Saban wins more nc's from here on out than Meyer ever does.
    Fortunately both of these great coaches are part of our history in a positive way.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-03-2014 at 04:26 PM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

They're both great. Saban has to lose a point or two for his NFL failure.

Urban left Utah better than he found it. Everyone knew he wasn't home grown. I did find his fake heart attack meltdown in Florida pretty funny. He knows how to jump ship. That's for sure.
    Last edited by Snowman; 12-28-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham have something else in common. They both crushed Nick Sabin in the Sugar Bowl. Concerned, are you chastened?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Banned
    Had this in the back of your mind for awhile... didn't you?

Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham have something else in common. They both crushed Nick Sabin in the Sugar Bowl. Concerned, are you chastened?
    yes. Mia culpa.urban coachedv circles around saban tonight. although I will still bet that Saban wins more national championships from here on out

yes. Mia culpa.urban coachedv circles around saban tonight. although I will still bet that Saban wins more national championships from here on out
    In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Banned
    . In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.
    Oregon will be favored, and they will win.

Oregon opens at -7
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.
    12 gauge is not going to outplayed Marriota which he will gave to do for osu to have any chance at all. I dont think it will be close.

12 gauge is not going to outplayed Marriota which he will gave to do for osu to have any chance at all. I dont think it will be close.
    I'm not sure what to expect. An Oregon blowout would not surprise me, but Ohio State is the best team they've faced all year.

This game is a win-win for me. I like Mariota, and I would like to see him win it all. On the other hand, it would be nice to see Meyer re-establish himself as the top coach in America.

I have nothing but good will for Urban Meyer. Utah football made a quantum leap upward because of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have nothing but good will for Urban Meyer. Utah football made a quantum leap upward because of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me too. The really interesting thing about the game last night was the OSU offense which looked to me almost exactly like the Utah offense in 2004. I told my son that the designed qb runs were just like Alex's runs, and the fly sweeps were the same sweeps we ran.

OSU matched up well against UA, esp. after the two linebackers went out. Alabama pass defense was horrible all year, and Jones was able to throw against it from the 2nd quarter on. If he can keep his poise in the national title game, I will be impressed. Especially if OSU has to play from behind and throw the ball a lot.

Sims was also horrible, with those three second half interceptions killing UA. Mariota is not going to do that. to me, this match up is a lot worse for OSU.

Oregon should win, but I will never underestimate Urban. He is a great tactician and a master motivator.

His reaction to the Oregon/FSU score was classic. I wonder if he calls Kyle for tips.