Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bill Riley's favorite team vs Bill Riley's current team - the Utah-Kansas game thread

Bill Riley's favorite team vs Bill Riley's current team - the Utah-Kansas game thread

No rest for the weary....

I like how this pre-season has been structured. This team is going to be battle tested going into conference.

The only thing I know about this Kansas team is that they were severely overmatched against Kentucky but they have won since. I can't name any players.

Bill Self's teams always play tough defense and rebound hard. I expect another slug fest a-la the SDSU, Wichita State, and BYU games.

All I know about Kansas is that they are big and strong and bang inside, and that they score about 70 points a game, with opponents at about 63 points. I'm hoping for a good showing. Maybe lightning will strike and we'll steal a win, but I'm mainly going to watch for the game plan and how the guys handle this kind of game. It'll be interesting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Date: Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Subject: No. 13 Utah Continues Road Swing at No. 10 Kansas

Game Information
    No. 13 Utah Utes vs.
    No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks
    Date: Saturday, December 13
    Tipoff: 2:15 p.m. CT
    Arena: Sprint Center

TV
    ESPN
    Play-by-Play: Jon Sciambi
    Analyst: Fran Fraschilla

Radio
    Utah Sports Radio Network
    ESPN 700
    Play-by-Play: Bill Riley
    Analyst: Jimmy Soto

Utah Fast Breaks
    • This will be the first time a Utah team ranked in the top 15 plays an opponent in the top 10 since the 1998 National Championship game vs. Kentucky

• Utah has not been ranked this high in the Associated Press Top 25 since the 2004-05 season

• Utah has been ranked for a total of 234 weeks in program history, amassing a record of 299-91 (.767)

• Delon Wright ranks among the Top 10 in the Pac-12 in scoring, assists, field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage and steals.

• Over the last two weeks, the Wooden Award candidate is averaging 18.0 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists while shooting 69 percent from the floor and leading the Utes to five wins

• During the same time, freshman Jakob Poeltl is almost averaging a double-double (12.2 ppg/9.6 rpg) to go along with 2.8 blocks per game and a field goal percentage of 80.6 (25-of-31).

• The only meeting between these teams prior to today was the opener to the 1995-96 season when the No. 10 Utes fell to No. 2 Kansas, 79-68, also in Kansas City

• Utah is trying to win its seventh game in a row, which would be the longest streak of Larry Krystkowiak’s tenure

Last Time Out
    Outscored 20-6 to finish the first half, Utah beat Brigham Young 65-61 on Wednesday night by holding the nation’s top-scoring team 33 points below its average

Delon Wright had 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Utes. He scored nine points in the second half and sparked a 10-0 run that helped the Utes overcome a 31-30 halftime deficit. Wright also had two steals and was 6-of-7 on free throws.

Kenneth Ogbe added nine points and freshman forward Brekkott Chapman had eight first-half points.

Utah was 19-of-30 from the line and out-rebounded BYU, 43-31.

Clamping Down on “D”
    A big reason for Utah’s improvement last season was the defensive effort. The Utes ranked second among Pac-12 teams in defensive points per possession. Utah also excelled in guarding the 3-point line, limiting opponents to a league low 30.8 percent from beyond the arc.

This year, the Utes currently top the Pac-12 in scoring defense (57.4 ppg) and ranks in the top 20 nationally in field-goal percentage defense (35.8%). Rebounding has been another key defensively with the team leading the Pac-12 in total margin (+10.5).

Offensive Efficiency
    Utah was one of the most efficient teams offensively last season, converting 48.8 percent of its field-goal tries. The Utes won 15 games by double figures and finished the season ranked 15th in scoring margin, beating opponents by an average of 10.8 points.

This season, they are excelling once more in scoring margin, sitting seventh nationally (+21.3). Utah is also currently shooting 51.6 percent from the field, tops in the league and 41.6 from 3-point range, second best in the conference

Multi-Dimensional Delon
    Delon Wright was Utah’s first All-Pac-12 performer after a breakthrough campaign. The guard was also named to the All-Defensive Team after finishing 10th in the nation in steals per game.

His 82 steals were second only to Andre Miller’s single-season mark of 84 and also had one of the best single-season assist marks with 174 (5.3 per game).

Wright led the league in minutes played (36.4 per game) and ranked among the Pac-12’s top 15 in field goal percentage (3rd), assist/turnover ratio (5th), blocks (6th), scoring (10th), rebounding (12th) and free-throw percentage (13th).

In the off-season, Wright was one of 30 collegiate players nationwide invited to take part in the LeBron James Skills Academy. He was also named the 2014 Collegiate Athlete of the Year for the state of Utah.

Wright Racking Up Award Nominations
    Wright was recently named to the preseason watch list for the John Wooden Award. He has also been selected to the Lute Olsen and the Bob Cousy Award Watch Lists.

The Wooden and Olsen awards are given to the player deemed the top collegiate player in the nation. The Cousy award is given to the top collegiate point guard.

Poeltl Putting Up Big Numbers
    Jakob Poeltl has burst on to the scene this season for the Utes, leading the Pac-12 by shooting 75 percent from the floor.

Defensively, he is also having an impact, ranking third in the Pac-12 in blocks and fourth in rebounding. The Utah freshman records for field goal percentage (58.8) and blocks (44) are each well within the 7-footer’s reach.

Back in his native Austria, Poeltl captained the U-18 national team at the European Championships

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    All I know about Kansas is that they are big and strong and bang inside, and that they score about 70 points a game, with opponents at about 63 points. I'm hoping for a good showing. Maybe lightning will strike and we'll steal a win, but I'm mainly going to watch for the game plan and how the guys handle this kind of game. It'll be interesting.

I read an article about a FR who is not playing who supposedly is a lottery pick-----so they have talent.

2 best players from watching them for about 5 minutes are Perry Ellis & Cliff Alexander--a FR, both about 6'8" & solid.

Do we know for a fact that Traylor's suspension for getting arrested was just the one game (last night against Georgetown)
    ?

I don't remember that 1995-96 season opener in Kansas city. That's, what, van horn's junior year and Andre's freshman season?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Do we know for a fact that Traylor's suspension for getting arrested was just the one game (last night against Georgetown)
    ?
    KU's website article said one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I don't remember that 1995-96 season opener in Kansas city. That's, what, van horn's junior year and Andre's freshman season?
    We didn't play with Andre or Brandon Jessie, both suspended for a game for a shoplifting incident at Crossroads Mall in the offseason. Lost by somewhere in the 7-15 point range.

Interesting and informative Utah-Kansas game breakdown on PAC12 Hoops:

Utah is Playing in Kansas and I have Questions

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We didn't play with Andre or Brandon Jessie, both suspended for a game for a shoplifting incident at Crossroads Mall in the offseason. Lost by somewhere in the 7-15 point range.
    I think that was Cottonwood Mall, and Brandon Jessie tried to escape by diving into the creek. Everytime I drive by there, I think of that, because the mall has been demolished and the creek is very prominent, and I chuckle imagining Jessie wading through it like the trio in O Broher Where Art Thou.

I remember that game. It was closer than the final score suggests. I remember being impressed with Doleac and Mottola. Andre really didn't come on until conference play.

Some time later Majerus said he met with Williams at half court after the game and asked Williams about a home/home, to which Williams reportedly replied "I'm never playing your team again!"

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Interesting and informative Utah-Kansas game breakdown on PAC12 Hoops:

Utah is Playing in Kansas and I have Questions
    Vegas has it Kansas by 5. (they had it BYU by 4 so who knows).

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Vegas has it Kansas by 5. (they had it BYU by 4 so who knows).
    I think it would be really hard to get up for this game so soon after the Y, esp. on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think it would be really hard to get up for this game so soon after the Y, esp. on the road.
    Yeah. I agree. Who wants to play Kansas?

</sarcasm>

In reality, I think it is a good test for this team. They're going to have to get up for big game after big game during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I remember that game. It was closer than the final score suggests. I remember being impressed with Doleac and Mottola. Andre really didn't come on until conference play.

Some time later Majerus said he met with Williams at half court after the game and asked Williams about a home/home, to which Williams reportedly replied "I'm never playing your team again!"
    Mottola didnt get here until the 96-97 season.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yeah. I agree. Who wants to play Kansas?

</sarcasm>

In reality, I think it is a good test for this team. They're going to have to get up for big game after big game during the season.
    I am not saying I wouldn't want to play Kansas, or that this is not a good test that they need for the long haul. i'm saying I probably wouldn't take the points under the circumstances.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-12-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Mottola didnt get here until the 96-97 season.
    You are right. It was Melmeth I was thinking of.

Phil Cullen's e-mail today:

So far, we're having a pretty good week as we hit the road to Kansas City. We play the No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks on Saturday at 2 :15 CT. The game will be televised on ESPN.

KU is a strong, physical team that really rebounds the ball well. They will look to pound the ball inside using a hi-lo motion offense. Their focal point is Perry Ellis, an All-Big-12 performer averaging 14.4 points per game. The Jayhawks won at Georgetown earlier this week and also have wins over Florida and Michigan State.

We hope you can catch the game and cheer on our Utes! The Crimson Club is also hosting a Watch Party at the Iggy's Downtown for the game. If you wear Red or White you get a free appetizer or dessert!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I didn't realize until this week was upon us that these two games were four days apart. That's brutal. Like U-Ute says above, I'm thrilled the Utes are playing the Jayhawks at all, but it would have been nice not to have this game right after a game at BYU.

Win or lose, I hope some good comes from this match up. Not one of the classic drubbings we get from time to time, (anyone remember when we got thumped @ Louisville in '00? @ USU in '04? Arizona in SLC in '05?).

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I didn't realize until this week was upon us that these two games were four days apart. That's brutal. Like U-Ute says above, I'm thrilled the Utes are playing the Jayhawks at all, but it would have been nice not to have this game right after a game at BYU.

Win or lose, I hope some good comes from this match up. Not one of the classic drubbings we get from time to time, (anyone remember when we got thumped @ Louisville in '00? @ USU in '04? Arizona in SLC in '05?).
    This is a neutral site game, and although its in Kansas City, Jayhawk fans get to see their team against a lot of great competition at Allen Fieldhouse. I'm hoping the holidays makes their fanbase jaded for a weekend and they find better things to do.

Another pretty decent breakdown of both teams:

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/12/12/u...-on-each-side/

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is a neutral site game, and although its in Kansas City, Jayhawk fans get to see their team against a lot of great competition at Allen Fieldhouse. I'm hoping the holidays makes their fanbase jaded for a weekend and they find better things to do.
    Well it's sort of neutral.

The court has their logo at the center of it and the game was included in their season ticket package according to several Kansas folks. Reading their boards their excited for the game as their team hasn't played at home much

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post

They played a very competitive game against a decent Georgetown team, in D.C., the night we played BYU.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I have always liked the defensive toughness of Bill Self's teams and I expect we will see that today. I think it will be a physical game like the Wichita State game, but Kansas has bigger players. It will really get us ready for teams like Arizona, UCLA, and Colorado.

Our FT shooting will bite us in this game as I think we lose a close one.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 12-13-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    They played a very competitive game against a decent Georgetown team, in D.C., the night we played BYU.
    I should go to more Georgetown games than I do. And by "more" I mean "any." I catch a couple of Wizards games each year in the Verizon Center. Georgetown plays in the same arena.

I should go to more Georgetown games than I do. And by "more" I mean "any." I catch a couple of Wizards games each year in the Verizon Center. Georgetown plays in the same arena.
    Better than the Wizards. The Kansas game would have been a good one to see. They have a sweet little WCC style court on campus I think they should use more.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Better than the Wizards. The Kansas game would have been a good one to see. They have a sweet little WCC style court on campus I think they should use more.
    Dude, the Wizards are good now!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.