Thread: The night game of Saturday's double header

The night game of Saturday's double header

UNLV: 6-2; 4-0 at home, but lost by over 20 to Stanford (neutral court) & at Az St.
    Utes should be a solid favorite 8-10, but since UNLV no line.

Memory is that crowd can be loud.
    Rebels have 2 players in double figures---6'6" Fr G & 6'11" So.

Don't think Larry K/Delon will let them be flat--but hope for a strong start.

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    UNLV: 6-2; 4-0 at home, but lost by over 20 to Stanford (neutral court) & at Az St.

thoughts?
    Pretty sure the game is at the MGM arena as part of their tourney there, so the crowd won't be their usual one I would guess

UNLV is not good this year. Portland blew a lead, then lost by 2 in overtime last night. If we don't win by at least 15, I'm going to be pretty disappointed and worried for conference play.

With UNLV's struggles, the nature of this game has changed for us. It used to be a potential statement game, and now it's closer to a potential bad loss.

Gotta get the Vegas sweep on Saturday!

I have to admit that I do not follow UNLV hoops nearly as much as I used to. I thought I remembered reading that Dave Rice had brought in a couple of dynamite recruiting classes. But it looks like UNLV is just "meh" this year.

This is one we need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I have to admit that I do not follow UNLV hoops nearly as much as I used to. I thought I remembered reading that Dave Rice had brought in a couple of dynamite recruiting classes. But it looks like UNLV is just "meh" this year.

This is one we need to win.
    Rice has definitely been able to recruit top ranked kids and get transfers from top programs but that's about where his work stops.

I hope Rice isn't reading funk's exchanges with cougjunkie on Cougarstadium becaue they would super motivate him.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Is that true? I had never heard that. I'm pretty sure they were listed as -6 vs Portland last night.

UNLV has been very interesting since Dave Rice has arrived. They've gotten top-25 recruiting classes every year since he's been there, but it hasn't translated to on the court success. That's why this game scares me a bit, because it seems like they should have the talent to "turn it on", and now if they do and we were to lose this one, it would be a bad loss.

So I agree that this is a "must win". I'm not going to be disappointed if we don't win by 15 plus, I just want a W. That's all that matters.

I don't think the Rebels will have much, if any, home court advantage in this one. If you look at the tickets on ticketmaster.com, the Utah section has basically been sold out for days, and the UNLV sections still have lots of seats open. I expect a good 3,000-4,000 Ute fans in the MGM on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I hope Rice isn't reading funk's exchanges with cougjunkie on Cougarstadium becaue they would super motivate him.
    Krystko is going to make a definitive statement with this game a prove that Utah was correct to hire him over Dave Rice.

thoughts?
    Very outdated info there. You've been able to bet on games in the sports book that are being played in the state of Nevada involving UNLV and UNR now for over a decade.

Besides, if such a law was still in place today, your offshore sports books would definitely be setting a line and taking action.

Anyone have any idea if this will be a unlv home court advantage again? or will utah have just as many/ (maybe more) fans than unlv on saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanUTE View Post
    Anyone have any idea if this will be a unlv home court advantage again? or will utah have just as many/ (maybe more) fans than unlv on saturday?
    Check out 311's post 3 above yours

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Check out 311's post 3 above yours
    thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Very outdated info there. You've been able to bet on games in the sports book that are being played in the state of Nevada involving UNLV and UNR now for over a decade.

Besides, if such a law was still in place today, your offshore sports books would definitely be setting a line and taking action.
    Oops--next thing you will tell me is you can watch games on a computer & not just TV.

Plus---think of all the money I lost, or saved.

Feel pretty fortunate to be up by one at the half. Atrocious shooting the first 20 minutes.

We are up by 11 with four minutes to go, and I am still not comfortable. I hope these guys show tonight that they know how to put their feet on the opponent's neck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We are up by 11 with four minutes to go, and I am still not comfortable. I hope these guys show tonight that they know how to put their feet on the opponent's neck.
    And they did!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Larry seems to be pretty good at halftime adjustments.

--Yeats

This would be an epic recruiting year for Utah:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketba...439/class/2014
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

We went 3-2 against the elite five in the preseason. Before the seson, 0-5 would have been concerning, 1-4 meh, 2-3 expected, anything else gravy.

Great job, Utes!!!

A couple of breaks and we would have been 5-0... very happy with this team
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This would be an epic recruiting year for Utah:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketba...439/class/2014
    Stacey Augmon must be a brilliant recruiter. The amount of talent those young players demonstrated was impressive. They are very good, but still very raw. They will make some noise over the next few years.

I am happy to escape Las Vegas with a win.

We went 3-2 against the elite five in the preseason. Before the seson, 0-5 would have been concerning, 1-4 meh, 2-3 expected, anything else gravy.

Great job, Utes!!!
    In hindsight, it was 1-1 against the elite 2, 0-1 against the pretty good 1, and 2-0 against the bubble 2.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    In hindsight, it was 1-1 against the elite 2, 0-1 against the pretty good 1, and 2-0 against the bubble 2.
    I've already seen some coulda, shoulda, woulda talk about how we could be undefeated, but LK didn't schedule these challenging early games because he thought we would win them all. What the team has learned about itself and about playing against the best on a big stage, and the growth the guys have experienced is what he hoped for, I think. And I think he got all those things.

--Yeats

I now want this team to learn not to play down to the level of its competition. Against BYU and UNLV, it felt like we were clearly the better team, but we couldn't get out of our own way. If we.cant learn this, we will drop a couple of unexpected games in league play. I'd like to see they young guys shoot with more confidence, and drive with more purpose and not shy away from contact and drawing fouls.

Interior or passing seems to be hit and miss. We love to drive and dish to the big guys, but too often the pass is at the big guys knees, or we don't sell the fake and the defender is able to tip the pass.

Sounds pessimistic, but I love this team and watching them develop. The frustrations are really minor, as we know they can play with almost anyone (wait and see on Arizona, and please God, avoid Kentucky in the tournament).
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Larry said post game that it was time to tighten the rotation. I think brekkott and dallin are the only guys off the bench whove earned rotation minutes. Maybe ogbe. Once loveridge gets back tucker will get minutes at the two and three off the bench.

This is a good way of looking at it. Probably the way the selection committee will.

Larry said post game that it was time to tighten the rotation. I think brekkott and dallin are the only guys off the bench whove earned rotation minutes. Maybe ogbe. Once loveridge gets back tucker will get minutes at the two and three off the bench.
    I hope he continues to give everyone minutes. Delon in particular needs some rest.

Agreed. I'm hopeful I/Wright will continue to develop and gets the chance to do so.

Delon in particular needs some rest.