Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam - 2016 Obituaries

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Years ago, I gave a talk in an LDS sacrament meeting drawn completely from Yogi Berra quotes. I'm more proud of that talk than I should be.

I imagine his funeral will be well attended. After all, he had the line, "Always go to other people's funerals; otherwise they won't go to yours."

Some of the Yogi-lines I used in that talk:

If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by watching.
    The future ain’t what it used to be.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Actor/Senator Fred Thompson, 73.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Actor/Senator Fred Thompson, 73.
    Fun fact: Fred Thompson was the minority counsel for the Republican side in the Watergate hearings. He prompted an "Oh shit, he's dumb as hell!" from Nixon as he dove deeper into the investigation, putting the long-term good of the nation ahead of the short-term good of the Republican party.

He was also a US Attorney and was a bit of a rockstar based on some of the famous cases he argued.

His successful career as an actor followed was preceeded by his career as an attorney, and was followed by 11 years as a Senator (he finished the last few years of Al Gore's term).

In Memoriam - 2015 Obituaries

Scott Weiland, former singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver is reportedly dead at 48

Long history of drug issues, found on his tour bus

He was one of the voices of college for me. And the lyrics from 'Dead and Bloated' seem fitting for his end

"I am smellin' like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed. I am smellin' like a rose that somebody gave me cause I'm dead and bloated "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Scott Weiland, former singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver is reportedly dead at 48

Long history of drug issues, found on his tour bus

He was one of the voices of college for me. And the lyrics from 'Dead and Bloated' seem fitting for his end

"I am smellin' like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed. I am smellin' like a rose that somebody gave me cause I'm dead and bloated "

Dang, drugs have taken too many talented people from this earth too early.

Reminds me of lyrics from song sung by a contemporary of his who also left too early, Layne Staley from Alice In Chains:

Hey, I ain't never coming home
    Hey, I'll just wander my own road
    Hey, I can't meet you here tomorrow
    Say goodbye don't follow
    Misery so hollow
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I didn't hear until now that Wayne Rogers, Trapper John in the early seasons of MASH, passed away on Dec 31st.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...an-alda-852125
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Muhammad Ali, the Greatest of all time, 74.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I just read a Tommy Connor tweet about Walter Watts passing. I remember listening to a Utah/BYU game on my walkman as I did my paper route. Why was it in the afternoon? Maybe my memory is bad. I seem to remember it going to OT and Watts having a big game. I loved that team.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I just read a Tommy Connor tweet about Walter Watts passing. I remember listening to a Utah/BYU game on my walkman as I did my paper route. Why was it in the afternoon? Maybe my memory is bad. I seem to remember it going to OT and Watts having a big game. I loved that team.
    Did you deliver the Desert News? It was an afternoon paper for a long time.

Did you deliver the Desert News? It was an afternoon paper for a long time.

I think he's wondering why Utah would be playing while he was delivering the paper in the early afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I think he's wondering why Utah would be playing while he was delivering the paper in the early afternoon.
    Yes. Must have been a conference tournament game? I delivered the trib for 9 years and the DNews for 2. Cool, I know.

While there weren't as many early tips as now, there were some afternoon games.

While there weren't as many early tips as now, there were some afternoon games.
    Okay, looked it up. Must have been the first round in the 1990 WAC tournament. Tommy Connor with the game winner in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I actually got to meet Walter at the Sugar Bowl. Very nice man, very big man. His son was on the Utah football team that season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Ed Kimball, who wrote warts-and-all biographies of his father, Mormon leader Spencer Kimball, dies

The biography is terrific, especially the section on the end of the priesthood ban. I was riveted.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ed Kimball, who wrote warts-and-all biographies of his father, Mormon leader Spencer Kimball, dies

The biography is terrific, especially the section on the end of the priesthood ban. I was riveted.
    Don't tell me how it ends. Will they? Won't they? The anticipation is palpable.

Good grief.

George Michaels passes away on Christmas Day.

He was only 53. He passed away at home. No word on what the cause was yet although London police say nothing was suspicious.

I wasn't a huge fan of his but I liked his music.

I keep thinking that can't be worse but then I remember: it can.

Banned
    Too soon?

Carrie Fisher.

With the announcements of George Michaels and Carrie Fisher, I think we have a new "death pool" concept: Who will be the last celebrity to die in 2016?

At this rate, we seem to be working our way up to Paul McCartney or Harrison Ford.

Carrie Fisher.
    “One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside). At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of.
    They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medication.”

>― Carrie Fisher

The death of Carrie Fisher has filled Facebook with posts like no other event I've seen this year. Kind of bizarre if you ask me and with all due respect I hope it isn't a reflection of our priorities (although it might explain a lot of things).

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The death of Carrie Fisher has filled Facebook with posts like no other event I've seen this year. Kind of bizarre if you ask me and with all due respect I hope it isn't a reflection of our priorities (although it might explain a lot of things).

A couple things to remember.

1) She's a huge part of the biggest movie franchise ever

2) She represented so much more than her acting to many people. Her open door attitude about her mental health issues etc really made her a bit of a different celebrity

She certainly wasn't your typical celebrity

A couple things to remember.

1) She's a huge part of the biggest movie franchise ever

2) She represented so much more than her acting to many people. Her open door attitude about her mental health issues etc really made her a bit of a different celebrity

She certainly wasn't your typical celebrity

Correct on all points. To me, she was a very likable star who did not take herself too seriously at all.

--Yeats

I have some questions I need answered.

Seems most people think there have been a inordinate number of celebrity deaths this year (2016). Aside from Ali and Castro, I don't think 2016 has been all that bad as far as deaths go. Not a single former U.S. President died. 2017 may very well bring the deaths of George Bush Sr. and Jimmy Carter.

Aside from Presidents Bush and Carter, the following celebrities have most likely NOT died in 2016:
    David Rockefellar (Age 100)
    Kirk Douglas (99)
    John Madden (80)
    Ozzie Osbourne
    Hugh Hefner (86)
    Billy Graham (97)
    Michael Jackson's Dad (86)
    Bob Barker (92)

I'm confused as to why the thread starts with 2015 deaths even though the thread title is 2016 Obituaries. Did someone refuse to start a new 2016 Thread and instead renamed the 2015 thread? Why can't we have a separate 2016 Obituary thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Alces View Post
    Aside from Presidents Bush and Carter, the following celebrities have most likely NOT died in 2016:
    Kirk Douglas (99)
    John Madden (80)
    Ozzie Osbourne
    Hugh Hefner (86)
    Billy Graham (97)
    Bob Barker (92)
    When Zsa-Zsa Gabor died, I was surprised to learn that she was still alive.

I'm confused as to why the thread starts with 2015 deaths even though the thread title is 2016 Obituaries. Did someone refuse to start a new 2016 Thread and instead renamed the 2015 thread? Why can't we have a separate 2016 Obituary thread?
    It was initially started as "In Memoriam". At some point it became focused on 2016. I assume with the idea that we'll start a 2017 one next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alces View Post
    Seems most people think there have been a inordinate number of celebrity deaths this year (2016). Aside from Ali and Castro, I don't think 2016 has been all that bad as far as deaths go. Not a single former U.S. President died. 2017 may very well bring the deaths of George Bush Sr. and Jimmy Carter.

Kirk Douglas (99)
    John Madden (80)
    Ozzie Osbourne
    Hugh Hefner (86)
    Billy Graham (97)
    Bob Barker (92)

Part of it is that it's not a well-used thread. So it started as a 2015 thread and then moved to 2016.

Debbie Reynolds was rushed to the hospital about an hour ago. Rumor is she suffered a stroke.

TMZ is reporting that Debbie Reynolds has died.

http://tmz.me/Q2AWslI