Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Season Efficiency 2014-15

Matt Carlino BYU -3

The beginning of the end of Carlino.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Matt Carlino BYU -3

The beginning of the end of Carlino.
    But, but...he came from UCLA!!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    But, but...he came from UCLA!!!
    Its funny how I remember telling my BYU friends that brought that up that if he were any good, he'd still be at UCLA.

I have 4 excellent seats to the ASU game this Sunday that I won't use. Face value. PM me if interested.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We should all be pulling for the Pac 12.

I think the Big East is pretty much a mid-major conference now. I say this as a Georgetown alumnus and fan.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

I think the Big East is pretty much a mid-major conference now. I say this as a Georgetown alumnus and fan.
    The Marquette coach taking a crappy job at Va Tech for less money tells you all you need to know about the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't understand why any Utah fan would not be pulling for the PAC-12 in this NCAA tournament.

--Yeats

I don't understand why any Utah fan would not be pulling for the PAC-12 in this NCAA tournament.
    I rooted hard for Tulsa and Lew Evans, Two Utes son, against UCLA. But that was a one-timer.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I rooted hard for Tulsa and Lew Evans, Two Utes son, against UCLA. But that was a one-timer.
    Of course!

--Yeats

I am not necessarily pulling for the Pac-12. For most of the year, these guys are the enemy, and now I'm supposed to flip a switch to like them? I can still see Johnson and McConnell laughing at us and sticking out their tongues. If there's an image later in this tournament that has them crying behind a towel, am I supposed to be sad?

I've never really been a root-for-the-conference kind of guy. I wear Utah gear, not Pac-12 gear.

I do know that we get some extra cash if our teams win. That's nice. But everyone else gets it too, so what's the big deal? Plus, success within a conference is a zero sum game. Which scenario is better for Utah basketball:

1) Stanford goes to the Final Four. Johnny Dawkins becomes a big deal in coaching and is able to start recruiting big time guys to Palo Alto.

or

2) Stanford gets blown out in the 1st round. Johnnuy Dawkins remains on something of a hot seat.

Play the same game with Alford and UCLA. It won't take many wins for him to shed his "tournament underachiever" reputation. It's in our interests for him to keep that rep.

I suppose there can be a hope that the Pac-12 turns into a Big East, capable of getting 7, 8, 9 bids based on reputation alone. Big Monday night deals, sky-high ratings, name recognition, etc. I would love that, but we're a million miles away from it.

No, at this point, I'll root just based on matchup. There should not be one American outside of Stanford alumni (or Palo Alto return missionaries) rooting against Dayton. Teams like Dayton are what make this tournament great.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-24-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am not necessarily pulling for the Pac-12. For most of the year, these guys are the enemy, and now I'm supposed to flip a switch to like them? I can still see Johnson and McConnell laughing at us and sticking out their tongues. If there's an image later in this tournament that has them crying behind a towel, am I supposed to be sad?

I've never really been a root-for-the-conference kind of guy. I wear Utah gear, not Pac-12 gear.

I do know that we get some extra cash if our teams win. That's nice. But everyone else gets it too, so what's the big deal? Plus, success within a conference is a zero sum game. Which scenario is better for Utah basketball:

1) Stanford goes to the Final Four. Johnny Dawkins becomes a big deal in coaching and is able to start recruiting big time guys to Palo Alto.

or

2) Stanford gets blown out in the 1st round. Johnnuy Dawkins remains on something of a hot seat.

Play the same game with Alford and UCLA. It won't take many wins for him to shed his "tournament underachiever" reputation. It's in our interests for him to keep that rep.

I suppose there can be a hope that the Pac-12 turns into a Big East, capable of getting 7, 8, 9 bids based on reputation alone. Big Monday night deals, sky-high ratings, name recognition, etc. I would love that, but we're a million miles away from it.

No, at this point, I'll root just based on matchup. There should not be one American outside of Stanford alumni rooting against Dayton. Teams like Dayton are what make this tournament great.
    I think it's always good for Utah to be part of a solid hoops conference. 3 teams in the Sweet 16 probably accomplishes that, although optimally Utah would be one of those teams. You are free now to root for the team of your choice. That is all.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Bummer that he couldn't hit a shot. The last half of the year he has been in a shooting funk.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Johny Dawkins and Steve Alford securing more years coaching at their respective institutions can only be a good thing for Utah's future success in this league.

I think it's always good for Utah to be part of a solid hoops conference. 3 teams in the Sweet 16 probably accomplishes that, although optimally Utah would be one of those teams. You are free now to root for the team of your choice. That is all.
    Utah is in a solid hoops conference, and that is not going to change. It definitely will not change if I root against the Cardinals this weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Johny Dawkins and Steve Alford securing more years coaching at their respective institutions can only be a good thing for Utah's future success in this league.
    I get what you are saying, but I am not so sure. I don't see why either coach can't win if they get good players. Plus, Stanford has potential to be a recruit stealer from us. My irrational Stanford hate aside, it's really better for Utah if they are horrible.

Utah is in a solid hoops conference, and that is not going to change. It definitely will not change if I root against the Cardinals this weeks.
    As I said, the conference has now proven itself. If all the PAC-12 teams had lost in the first round, that's not good for Utah.

--Yeats

As I said, the conference has now proven itself. If all the PAC-12 teams had lost in the first round, that's not good for Utah.
    I agree with Sancho on this one. When we were in the WAC, I would cheer like crazy for New Mexico and Wyoming to win a game in the tournament. I did this because we had a conference with no respect so I felt that increasing the conference's profile would raise the recruiting tide of all boats.

However, the PAC is different. When Stanford makes the sweet sixteen, that really helps Stanford. It doesn't help us recruit against them. Same thing if ASU had made a run in the tournament. In fact, I root against all Pac teams in the tournament.

The ACC only got 1 team through to the Sweet 16, but everyone knows that's one of the best basketball conferences in the nation.

The ACC only got 1 team through to the Sweet 16, but everyone knows that's one of the best basketball conferences in the nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I agree with Sancho on this one. When we were in the WAC, I would cheer like crazy for New Mexico and Wyoming to win a game in the tournament. I did this because we had a conference with no respect so I felt that increasing the conference's profile would raise the recruiting tide of all boats.

However, the PAC is different. When Stanford makes the sweet sixteen, that really helps Stanford. It doesn't help us recruit against them. Same thing if ASU had made a run in the tournament. In fact, I root against all Pac teams in the tournament.
    My view is situational, specific to the present. The PAC-12 has been much maligned lately as a hoops conference. That's why I think it's good for Utah if all the schools who get into the Dance make a good showing. Otherwise our good showings against those teams lose some luster. Once we are back in the Dance regularly I no longer care too much. Like you, I just want Utah to succeed.

--Yeats

2014-2015 Season

Post Utah 105 Ball State 67 (90-72 score)

I know I got a bit lazy at the end of last season, I apologize. We're back to another season and a great start.
    Here are the efficiency stats for the Ball State game.

Player Efficiency Off/Average
    Delon Wright 25 -
    Brandon Taylor 21 -
    Jakob Poeltl 18 -
    Jordan Loveridge 17 -
    Chris Reyes 13 -
    Dallin Bachynski 5 -
    Kenneth Ogbe 4 -
    Kyle Kuzma 3 -
    Isaiah Wright 1 -
    Brekkott Chapman 0 -
    Austin Eastman 0 -
    Jeremy Olsen -2 -
    Jake Conner DNP
    Dakarai Tucker DNP
    Eris Winder DNP

Obviously without any other games to go off of Utah hit a season high and season low in every category.
    The brightest takeaway from the game is watching it I thought Delon was off and had a bad game. Surprisingly he was the highest efficiency player in the game. 6/9 from the field, 4 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks...it all adds up.
    Tucker played a lot of minutes, 33 and I'd be surprised if he keeps that up all year. Probably helped playing somebody his size.

Some of the negatives from this game...Utah was awful from the charity stripe. -27.3% worse than Ball State. Utah was 26-40 from the line. 4 guys shot 50% or worse. Can't have that. If Jak is going to get to the line 16 times he needs to be around 75%-80%. With that said Loveridge and Taylor combined for 11/12 from the line. Utah also attempted 13 less three pointers than Ball State and made 4 less. I felt like every time I looked up Ball State was hitting another three (Sellers). Utah won the turnover margin by 1 (15 to 14) and had 12 less fouls. IMO the early foul trouble from Ball State did them in, although I didn't appreciate the refs trying to even the margin.

San Diego State up next.... Go Utes!

OPPONENTS TOP PERFORMANCES VS UTAH

Player Team FG FT 3P Reb Ast Blk TO Pts Eff
    1 Sean Sellers Ball State 8/13 6/6 4/6 2 1 0 2 26 23
    2 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 2 2 12 11
    3 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 0 0 8 8
    Last edited by The Thrill; 11-18-2014 at 08:47 PM.

San Diego State 54 Utah 51 (SDSU 53-49)

Damn...that was a rough game...

Player Efficiency +/-
    Jakob Poeltl 16 -1
    Chris Reyes 14 +.5
    Delon Wright 11 -7
    Brekkott Chapman 6 +3
    Brandon Taylor 4 -8.5
    Dallin Bachynski 2 -1.5
    Isaiah Wright 1 -
    Jake Connor DNP
    Austin Eastman DNP
    Jeremy Olsen DNP
    Dakarai Tucker DNP
    Eris Winder DNP
    Kyle Kuzma -1 -2
    Kenneth Ogbe -1 -2.5
    Jordan Loveridge -1 -9

All the talk was about how bad Delon played but at least he was 2/13 with 8 boards, 5 assists and 2 blocks. Jordan Loveridge had a bad game. 2/7 with 1 rebound, 2 assists and 1 steal. By far the worst game he's had since I started doing this efficiency thing. Gotta give it to the Aztecs. They played a hell of a game defensively and out hustled Utah in many aspects. Utah held their own though and didn't give up. Two months from now they will both be highly ranked and people will see a 4 point loss. Would have been nice to get a win but the final score shows Utah can compete with the best teams in the country.

Overall Utah gave up a season high 27 free throw attempts and 34 rebounds. Granted there was only one game to go off of but several categories Utah probably gave up a season high. 13 steals was also key. As for Utah they matched their season high in 3's made at 6 but shot 16 more, 9/25 at 24% ain't gonna cut it. Utah did increase their FT% from 65% to 68.8% so there is that. The largest deficiency was at the line. Utah made 7 less and shot 11 less from the stripe and had 7 more fouls. Utah did get 7 more blocks than the Aztecs but their scrappy second chance points made up the difference. Both teams only made 16 shots and Utah only shot one more shot 50 to 49 but the game was won at the line...oddly enough Utah shot a better % at the line by 2.1% but just didn't get there enough.

For the season Utah is allowing only 39.4% from the field but 41.9% from deep. Of course Ball St shot 45.5%, the Aztecs only 32.7%. Tough game and now Utah has 4 games that should be wins to put it together before that brutal 4 game stretch.

Something new I've been tracking is the overall ranking. I take every category and rank each player, add up every column and get a total. Right now Delon is winning with 66. There are 17 columns. This means Delon's average rank in every stat is just under 4th...in every category. He currently ranks 1st in (minutes, shots made, shots attempted, defensive rebounds, assists, steals and efficiency). Only three categories he is not ranked high (turnovers 13th, fouls 11th and shot% 11th) but you'd expect those when you play the most minutes.

Season best efficiency vs the Utes
    2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 0 3 12 17
    3 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 2 2 12 11
    4 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 2 2 8 10
    5 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 8 9
    6 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 0 0 8 8
    7 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 1 1 4 6
    Last edited by The Thrill; 11-22-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Utah 123 UC-R 26 (Utah 88-42)

Utah domintated...that is all

Player Efficiency +/-
    Kyle Kuzma 22 +14
    Brekkott Chapman 19 +10.6
    Delon Wright 17 -0.7
    Jordan Loveridge 12 +2.7
    Kenneth Ogbe 11 +6.3
    Jakob Poeltl 11 -4.0
    Chris Reyes 8 -3.7
    Isaiah Wright 8 +4.7
    Jeremy Olsen 6 +4.7
    Brandon Taylor 6 -4.3
    Dallin Bachynski 4 +0.3
    Jake Connor DNP
    Dakarai Tucker DNP
    Eris Winder DNP
    Austin Eastman -1 -0.7

Kuzma and Chapman...I have a feeling these two are going to be mentioned a lot over the next several years. Was this their breakout game? Sure it was Riverside but damn Kuzma looked sharp and Brekkott looked smooth. This game moved both those guys to 6th and 7th in the team in efficiency, I expect them to keep climbing. Everybody else had a solid game, 7 players performed above their average. Utah currently has 4 players above 10 in efficiency, remember a few years ago when if Utah had 2 we would celebrate? Loveridge is at 9.3 so it's almost 5.

Biggest positive, Delon went 2/2 from deep. Yes you read that correctly. I sure hope this is a sign of things to come for him. Problem is his shot was so slow better teams will not allow it. Utah was right at their average in most stats but had a season high for rebounds 45 and assists 21. Utah took more shots in this game than they did all season 56 and probably the best stat shot 75% from the free throw line, a season high. Efficiency was also a season high at 123, season average is 93.0. Utah dominated in several categories, Utah made 13 more shots, had 22 more rebounds and 46 more points (the most important stat).

For their opponent, Riverside tied a season high in shot attempts 55 (Ball state) and grabbed a lot of defensive rebounds 16 (season avg for Ute opponent) but received a season low in 11 categories. 29.1% from the field, 7.7% from deep but 100% from the line 9/9.

Utah is averaging 47.7% from the field, 41.2% from deep and 69% from the line
    Utah opponents average 35.8% from field, 31.8% from deep and 79.6% from the line.
    Utah leads their opponents in every category except 4 (shot attempts, steals, turnovers and FT%)

Season best efficiency vs the Utes
    2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 0 3 12 17
    3 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 2 2 12 11
    4 Nick Gruninger UC-Riverside 4/10 6/6 0/4 3 1 0 2 14 11
    5 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 2 2 8 10
    6 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 8 9
    7 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 0 0 8 8
    8 Robert Boezeman UC-Riverside 3/5 0/0 1/2 4 0 0 1 7 8
    9 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 1 1 4 6
    10 Alex Larsson UC-Riverside 0/0 0/0 0/0 4 0 1 0 0 6
    11 Trey Kell San Diego St 1/5 3/4 0/2 4 0 0 1 5 5
    12 Charles Standifer UC-Riverside 3/9 1/1 0/1 3 0 1 1 7 5
    13 Aqueel Quinn San Diego St 1/6 4/6 0/2 2 0 0 1 6 4
    14 Rocco Belcaster Ball State 2/4 0/0 1/3 1 1 0 1 5 4
    15 Zavier Turner Ball State 5/10 2/2 2/4 0 0 0 5 14 4
    16 Winston Shepard San Diego St 2/6 1/2 1/1 4 0 0 3 6 3
    17 Kevin Zabo San Diego St 1/2 1/3 1/1 2 0 0 0 4 3
    18 Bo Calhoun Ball State 1/2 0/0 0/0 4 1 0 3 2 3
    19 Bik Gill Ball State 0/3 2/2 0/2 3 0 2 1 2 3
    20 Steven Thornton UC-Riverside 2/6 2/2 0/3 0 1 0 1 6 3
    Last edited by The Thrill; 01-17-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Here is the ranking of each player per category.

Utah 108-27 (Utah 85-48)

Utes cruise

Player Efficiency +/-
    Kyle Kuzma 20 +9.0
    Jakob Poeltl 18 +2.3
    Brandon Taylor 16 +4.3
    Delon Wright 15 -2.0
    Isaiah Wright 11 +5.8
    Jordan Loveridge 10 +0.5
    Brekkott Chapman 9 +0.5
    Austin Eastman 5 +4.0
    Chris Reyes 4 -5.8
    Jeremy Olsen 2 +0.5
    Dallin Bachynski 1 -2.0
    Kenneth Ogbe -3 -5.8
    Jake Connor DNP
    Eris Winder DNP
    Dakarai Tucker DNP

Utes roll easy. I'll make this short and sweet, it's Thanksgiving after all.

Utah gave up a season high for assists 10 and almost a season high in free throw attempts 23. The good news is Utah held UTPA to a season low for Ute opponents with 16 shots made (3 straight games of holding an opponent to only 16 makes), 45 shots, 22 rebounds, 2 steals, 16 turnovers (season high) and FT% 56.5...all season lows for Ute opponent.

For the Utes they had no season highs but game close in several categories. 59.1% only 0.1% lower than Ball State. 73.5% from line (75% vs Riverside), 8 threes made (9 vs Riverside), 25 free throws (26 vs Ball State). Overall a very solid game. The bad news is Utah had a season high in fould 22 and a season low in shot attempts and offensive rebounds...probably because they shot nearly 60%. So far Utah's most dominating defensive effort. Shot 23.5% better than their opponents and +7 on bloacks +5 on steals. Utah was +7 on blocks vs the Aztecs but were -8 on steals.

For the season Utah leads in every category except two, shot attempts -1.3 and free throw % -1.9%. Utah is dominating in efficiency +53.3.

Top 25 Opponents vs the Utes
    Player Team FG FT 3P Reb Ast Stl Blk TO Pts Eff
    1 Sean Sellers Ball State 8/13 6/6 4/6 2 1 1 0 2 26 23
    2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 3 0 3 12 17
    3 Shaquille Boga Texas-PanAm 5/9 4/4 2/4 3 2 2 0 3 16 15
    4 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 4 2 2 12 11
    5 Nick Gruninger UC-Riverside 4/10 6/6 0/4 3 1 1 0 2 14 11
    6 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 1 2 2 8 10
    7 Janari Joesaar Texas-PanAm 2/6 6/8 1/4 4 4 4 0 3 11 10
    8 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 0 8 9
    9 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 0 0 0 8 8
    10 Robert Boezeman UC-Riverside 3/5 0/0 1/2 4 0 0 0 1 7 8
    11 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 0 1 1 4 6
    12 Alex Larsson UC-Riverside 0/0 0/0 0/0 4 0 0 1 0 0 6
    13 Trey Kell San Diego St 1/5 3/4 0/2 4 0 0 0 1 5 5
    14 Charles Standifer UC-Riverside 3/9 1/1 0/1 3 0 0 1 1 7 5
    15 Aqueel Quinn San Diego St 1/6 4/6 0/2 2 0 0 0 1 6 4
    16 Rocco Belcaster Ball State 2/4 0/0 1/3 1 1 1 0 1 5 4
    17 Zavier Turner Ball State 5/10 2/2 2/4 0 0 0 0 5 14 4
    18 Winston Shepard San Diego St 2/6 1/2 1/1 4 0 0 0 3 6 3
    19 Kevin Zabo San Diego St 1/2 1/3 1/1 2 0 0 0 0 4 3
    20 Bo Calhoun Ball State 1/2 0/0 0/0 4 1 1 0 3 2 3
    Last edited by The Thrill; 01-17-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Utes cruise

Player Efficiency +/-
    Kyle Kuzma 20 +9.0
    Jakob Poeltl 18 +2.3
    Brandon Taylor 16 +4.3
    Delon Wright 15 -2.0
    Isaiah Wright 11 +5.8
    Jordan Loveridge 10 +0.5
    Brekkott Chapman 9 +0.5
    Austin Eastman 5 +4.0
    Chris Reyes 4 -5.8
    Jeremy Olsen 2 +0.5
    Dallin Bachynski 1 -2.0
    Kenneth Ogbe -3 -5.8
    Jake Connor DNP
    Eris Winder DNP
    Dakarai Tucker DNP

Utes roll easy. I'll make this short and sweet, it's Thanksgiving after all.

Utah gave up a season high for assists 10 and almost a season high in free throw attempts 23. The good news is Utah held UTPA to a season low for Ute opponents with 16 shots made (3 straight games of holding an opponent to only 16 makes), 45 shots, 22 rebounds, 2 steals, 16 turnovers (season high) and FT% 56.5...all season lows for Ute opponent.

For the Utes they had no season highs but game close in several categories. 59.1% only 0.1% lower than Ball State. 73.5% from line (75% vs Riverside), 8 threes made (9 vs Riverside), 25 free throws (26 vs Ball State). Overall a very solid game. The bad news is Utah had a season high in fould 22 and a season low in shot attempts and offensive rebounds...probably because they shot nearly 60%. So far Utah's most dominating defensive effort. Shot 23.5% better than their opponents and +7 on bloacks +5 on steals. Utah was +7 on blocks vs the Aztecs but were -8 on steals.

For the season Utah leads in every category except two, shot attempts -1.3 and free throw % -1.9%. Utah is dominating in efficiency +53.3.

Top 25 Opponents vs the Utes
    2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 3 0 3 12 17
    3 Shaquille Boga Texas-PanAm 5/9 4/4 2/4 3 2 2 0 3 16 15
    4 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 4 2 2 12 11
    5 Nick Gruninger UC-Riverside 4/10 6/6 0/4 3 1 1 0 2 14 11
    6 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 1 2 2 8 10
    7 Janari Joesaar Texas-PanAm 2/6 6/8 1/4 4 4 4 0 3 11 10
    8 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 0 8 9
    9 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 0 0 0 8 8
    10 Robert Boezeman UC-Riverside 3/5 0/0 1/2 4 0 0 0 1 7 8
    11 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 0 1 1 4 6
    12 Alex Larsson UC-Riverside 0/0 0/0 0/0 4 0 0 1 0 0 6
    13 Trey Kell San Diego St 1/5 3/4 0/2 4 0 0 0 1 5 5
    14 Charles Standifer UC-Riverside 3/9 1/1 0/1 3 0 0 1 1 7 5
    15 Aqueel Quinn San Diego St 1/6 4/6 0/2 2 0 0 0 1 6 4
    16 Rocco Belcaster Ball State 2/4 0/0 1/3 1 1 1 0 1 5 4
    17 Zavier Turner Ball State 5/10 2/2 2/4 0 0 0 0 5 14 4
    18 Winston Shepard San Diego St 2/6 1/2 1/1 4 0 0 0 3 6 3
    19 Kevin Zabo San Diego St 1/2 1/3 1/1 2 0 0 0 0 4 3
    20 Bo Calhoun Ball State 1/2 0/0 0/0 4 1 1 0 3 2 3
    With those refs it's not surprising

Utah was called for 6 moving screens.

Utah 113 North Dakota 40 (Utah 90-53)

Welcome to the Jakob Poeltl and Delon Wright show. Utah dominated, without arguably one of their top 4 players.

Player Efficiency */-
    Jakob Poeltl 35 +15.4
    Delon Wright 28 +8.8
    Brandon Taylor 15 +2.6
    Kenneth Ogbe 13 +8.2
    Dallin Bachynski 7 +3.2
    Dakarai Tucker 6 -
    Kyle Kuzma 5 -4.8
    Chris Reyes 3 -5.4
    Isaiah Wright 2 -2.6
    Jeremy Olsen 1 -0.8
    Brekkott Chapman -2 -8.4
    Jake Connor DNP
    Jordan Loveridge DNP
    Eris Winder DNP

Welcome back Dakarai Tucker...get well soon Jordan Loveridge. Utah shot 66.7% in the game bringing their season average up to 53.3% from the field. That's impressive. To put that into perspective, the Golden State Warriors lead the NBA at 49.3%. That should move Utah into the top ten in field goal %. Currently Ohio State leads the nation at 60.8%. For Utah to be at 60.8% the would have to have made 18 more shots. To get there now they would have to go 47/47 from the field vs Alabama State. That would be very impressive....not going to happen.

For the season efficiency numbers Poeltl is now leading the team at 19.6 with Delon right behind him at 19.2. Two guys just under 20 efficiency is really good. Delon still leads the team rankings list at average 3.0 rank per statistic. Delon is now shooting 44.4% from deep. I should note that Poeltl isn't even leading the team in FG%, that honor goes to Kuzma at 73.7%, Poeltl is 73.3%. Kyle is 14/19 on the season and 4/7 from deep, also leads from beyond the arc at 57.1%. One stat that gets overlooked frequently is the assist to turnover ratio. Right now Delon is leading at 2.88 assists to turnovers, with Isaiah right behind him at 2.43. Poeltl is one of the worst at 0.11 with only 1 assist to go against 9 turnovers only tied with Brandon Taylor at 9 turnovers to lead the team.

As for the no name North Dakota team, they put up 58 shots which was a season high for a Utah opponent and also only turned the ball over only 10 times, a season low for a Utah opponent (Aztecs 11). UND had 9 steals which is second only to San Diego State, other than that they were poor in many categories. Jaron Nash, UND, was averaging 16.8 pts and 8.8 (both team leading) but only managed 6 pts and 5 rebs vs Utah.

As for Utah, they had season highs in shots made (30) and field goa
    l pct 66.7% (guess those go hand in hand). Tied a season high for points (90), second highest for defensive rebounds (30) fouls (14) and efficiency (113). This was the third straight game Utah shot over 70% from the charity stripe. Utah did get a season low for steals (2) and offensive rebounds (6) but that happens when you shoot 67%. Also a season low for three pointers made (6) for the third time (Ball St, SDSU and UND), only 42.9% second lowest for the year.

One more tune up before Wichita. Go Utes

Utah 112 Alabama St 62 (Utah 93-62)

Another blowout. I'll be brief
    Player Efficiency +/-
    Delon Wright 35 +13.2
    Jakob Poeltl 18 -1.3
    Kenneth Ogbe 15 +8.5
    Dallin Bachynski 12 +.6.8
    Dakarai Tucker 10 +2.0
    Chris Reyes 10 +1.3
    Brandon Taylor 5 -6.2
    Isaiah Wright 5 +0.3
    Brekkott Chapman 1 -4.5
    Kyle Kuzma 1 -7.3
    Austin Eastman 0 -0.8
    Jake Connor DNP
    Jordan Loveridge DNP
    Eris Winder DNP

Delon takes over the lead for efficiency for the season (below are season totals)
    Player FG FT 3P Reb Ast Stl Blk TO Pts Eff
    Wright, Delon 31/51 24/30 6/11 27 29 11 7 9 92 21.8
    Poeltl, Jakob 27/36 18/36 0/0 56 1 5 18 9 72 19.3
    Taylor, Brandon 18/39 16/17 10/26 14 16 6 0 9 62 11.2
    Loveridge, Jordan 14/32 10/10 8/16 10 6 2 0 8 46 9.5
    Reyes, Chris 12/24 8/13 0/0 31 5 4 5 8 32 8.7
    Kuzma, Kyle 15/24 8/12 5/11 16 8 0 1 5 43 8.3
    Tucker, Dakarai 6/11 2/5 4/9 5 0 2 1 2 18 8.0
    Ogbe, Kenneth 15/32 9/16 9/18 18 3 2 1 9 48 6.5
    Chapman, Brekkott 10/22 14/21 0/1 14 4 3 4 7 34 5.5
    Bachynski, Dallin 8/11 4/5 0/0 11 0 2 3 1 20 5.2
    Wright, Isaiah 4/10 3/3 3/8 3 22 0 2 7 14 4.7
    Olsen, Jeremy 2/10 7/12 0/0 11 1 0 0 3 11 1.4
    Eastman, Austin 0/2 3/4 0/1 2 0 1 1 0 3 0.8
    Connor, Jake 0/0 0/0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0
    Winder, Eris 0/0 0/0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0

Tired legs maybe, Utah shot a season low from the charity stripe at 59.4%. Utah allowed 50% from three (season high), 13 assists, 36 rebounds, 25 defensive rebounds...all season highs. Bright side Utah has a season low for turnovers with 8. Season highs in three's attempted (10), shots taken (60) and shots made (32)....bring on Wichita.

Top 25 performances vs Utah
    2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 1 0 3 12 17
    3 Shaquille Boga Texas-PanAm 5/9 4/4 2/4 3 2 1 0 3 16 15
    4 Jamel Waters Alabama St 6/11 3/4 4/6 3 1 0 0 4 19 13
    5 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 1 2 2 12 11
    6 Nick Gruninger UC-Riverside 4/10 6/6 0/4 3 1 1 0 2 14 11
    7 Lenny Antwi North Dakota 4/9 0/0 2/3 1 3 1 0 0 10 10
    8 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 4 2 2 8 10
    9 Janari Joesaar Texas-PanAm 2/6 6/8 1/4 4 4 0 0 3 11 10
    10 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 0 8 9
    11 DeMarcus Robinson Alabama St 3/7 2/2 0/0 2 2 1 0 0 8 9
    12 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 1 0 0 8 8
    13 Robert Boezeman UC-Riverside 3/5 0/0 1/2 4 0 0 0 1 7 8
    14 Luther Page Alabama St 0/1 3/4 0/0 4 3 1 0 1 3 8
    15 Dustin Hobaugh North Dakota 1/2 2/2 1/1 2 1 0 0 1 5 6
    16 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 1 1 1 4 6
    17 Alex Larsson UC-Riverside 0/0 0/0 0/0 4 0 1 1 0 0 6
    18 Brandon Graham Alabama St 0/2 0/0 0/1 5 0 1 2 0 0 6
    19 Terrance LeFlore Alabama St 1/6 0/0 0/2 2 5 1 1 0 2 6
    20 Jaron Nash North Dakota 2/9 2/4 0/2 5 0 2 1 0 6 5
    Last edited by The Thrill; 12-04-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Utah 77 Wichita St 75 (Utah 69-68)

What a game, very lucky to witness this one in person.

Player Efficiency +/-
    Jakob Poeltl 17 -2.0
    Delon Wright 16 -5.0
    Brandon Taylor 16 +4.1
    Dakarai Tucker 14 +4.0
    Brekkott Chapman 10 +3.9
    Dallin Bachynski 5 -0.1
    Kenneth Ogbe 2 -3.9
    Isaiah Wright 0 -4.0
    Kyle Kuzma -1 -8.0
    Chris Reyes -2 -9.1
    Jake Connor DNP
    Austin Eastman DNP
    Jordan Loveridge DNP
    Jeremy Olsen DNP
    Eris Winder DNP

Obviously this was a 5 man show for Utah. Although Bachynski did get a 5 efficiency score only playing 9 minutes. That equated to 0.56 efficiency per minute (led the team). Poeltl .47, Chapman .42, Tucker .41, Taylor .39, Delon .36. This was the perfect game leading into a three game road trip. Lessons learned? Match opponents aggression. Wichita led early by being more aggressive. Free throws. Utes missed 11 free throws and won by 1. Could have won going away. Guard the three, Utah allowed 30 attempts from deep.

First the bad. Wichita had season highs for a Utah opponent in almost every category. 63 shots made, 11 threes made, 30 threes attempted, 25 defensive rebounds (second game in a row), 37 rebounds, 6 turnovers (season low) and efficiency 75. As for Utah it's obvious, 52.2% from the free throw line, this has to get better and it's an easy fix. 2 steals and 5 blocks were season lows. That's pretty crazy that 5 blocks is a season low. Utah allowed the Shockers to put up 12 more shots and were out rebounded on opponents side by 3. Utah also committed 5 more turnovers, (7 more vs SDSU)

Now the good, Utah had a season low for fouls (12) which translated to a season low for opponent FT attempts at 9. Interesting note, two of the three lowest opponent assist totals were in Utah losses 4 for SDSU, 8 for Wichita. Utah did shoot 9% higher from the field and 6.2% better from the line. Towards the end Wichita really forced some bad shots. Bottom line, both teams made 24 shots. 2 of the Wichita shots were three pointers (+2 WSU) but Utah was +3 on free throws (+1 Utah) and the difference in the game. Not putting Wichita to the line and making more, although they could have made a lot more, was the difference.

Next up, on the road vs 1/2

Top 20 Utah opponents efficiency

2 JJ O'Brien San Diego St 3/10 6/6 0/1 11 3 1 0 3 12 17
    3 Shaquille Boga Texas-PanAm 5/9 4/4 2/4 3 2 1 0 3 16 15
    4 Tekele Cotton Wichita St 4/8 3/4 3/5 3 1 2 1 1 14 15
    5 Ron Baker Wichita St 6/13 0/0 3/6 6 1 1 0 2 15 14
    6 Jamel Waters Alabama St 6/11 3/4 4/6 3 1 0 0 4 19 13
    7 Darius Carter Wichita St 4/6 2/2 0/0 1 1 1 1 0 10 12
    8 Jeremia Tyler Ball State 5/13 0/0 2/6 2 4 1 2 2 12 11
    9 Nick Gruninger UC-Riverside 4/10 6/6 0/4 3 1 1 0 2 14 11
    10 Evan Wessel Wichita St 1/5 3/4 1/4 9 0 0 1 0 6 11
    11 Lenny Antwi North Dakota 4/9 0/0 2/3 1 3 1 0 0 10 10
    12 Dwayne Polee II San Diego St 2/6 3/4 1/2 2 1 4 2 2 8 10
    13 Janari Joesaar Texas-PanAm 2/6 6/8 1/4 4 4 0 0 3 11 10
    14 Angelo Chol San Diego St 4/6 0/2 0/0 5 0 0 0 0 8 9
    15 DeMarcus Robinson Alabama St 3/7 2/2 0/0 2 2 1 0 0 8 9
    16 Matt Kamieniecki Ball State 3/5 2/3 0/0 2 0 1 0 0 8 8
    17 Robert Boezeman UC-Riverside 3/5 0/0 1/2 4 0 0 0 1 7 8
    18 Luther Page Alabama St 0/1 3/4 0/0 4 3 1 0 1 3 8
    19 Dustin Hobaugh North Dakota 1/2 2/2 1/1 2 1 0 0 1 5 6
    20 Skylar Spencer San Diego St 2/4 0/0 0/0 3 0 1 1 1 4 6

Last edited by The Thrill; 12-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Season efficiency averages

Player FG FG% FT FT% 3P 3P% Reb Ast Stl Blk TO Pts Eff Eff/Min
    Wright, Delon 37/64 57.8% 24/32 75.0% 7/15 46.7% 33 36 12 8 12 105 21.0 0.67
    Poeltl, Jakob 31/42 73.8% 22/46 47.8% 0/0 - 67 1 5 21 10 84 19.0 0.78
    Taylor, Brandon 24/52 46.2% 18/19 94.7% 13/33 39.4% 17 20 7 0 11 79 11.9 0.43
    Tucker, Dakarai 10/18 55.6% 4/7 57.1% 7/15 46.7% 9 1 2 1 3 31 10.0 0.54
    Loveridge, Jordan 14/32 43.8% 10/10 100.0% 8/16 50.0% 10 6 2 0 8 46 9.5 0.40
    Reyes, Chris 12/26 46.2% 9/16 56.3% 0/0 - 34 5 4 5 10 33 7.1 0.38
    Kuzma, Kyle 15/24 62.5% 8/13 61.5% 5/11 45.5% 16 8 0 1 5 43 7.0 0.56
    Chapman, Brekkott 13/29 44.8% 14/21 66.7% 2/4 50.0% 18 6 3 5 8 42 6.1 0.36
    Ogbe, Kenneth 15/33 45.5% 11/18 61.1% 9/19 47.4% 19 3 2 1 9 50 5.9 0.33
    Bachynski, Dallin 9/13 69.2% 5/6 83.3% 0/0 - 15 0 2 3 2 23 5.1 0.49
    Wright, Isaiah 4/10 40.0% 3/3 100.0% 3/8 37.5% 3 22 0 2 7 14 4.0 0.26
    Olsen, Jeremy 2/10 20.0% 7/12 58.3% 0/0 - 11 1 0 0 3 11 1.4 0.19
    Eastman, Austin 0/2 0.0% 3/4 75.0% 0/1 0.0% 2 0 1 1 0 3 0.8 0.33
    Connor, Jake 0/0 - 0/0 - 0/0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 #DIV/0!
    Winder, Eris 0/0 - 0/0 - 0/0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 #DIV/0!
    Last edited by The Thrill; 12-04-2014 at 07:48 PM.