Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The High-end TV Series Thread

We finally watched all 10 episodes of "Band of Brothers." If anyone else is 10-12 years behind the times like we are and hasn't seen it, you should. It's really excellent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We finally watched all 10 episodes of "Band of Brothers." If anyone else is 10-12 years behind the times like we are and hasn't seen it, you should. It's really excellent.
    The Pacific is good too, although I enjoyed Brothers more.

Just finished a Netflix Original called "Happy Valley." I enjoyed it. It is a lot like Broadchurch. Also, If you like Broadchurch, you will really enjoy David Tennant in Jenny Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Just finished a Netflix Original called "Happy Valley." I enjoyed it. It is a lot like Broadchurch. Also, If you like Broadchurch, you will really enjoy David Tennant in Jenny Jones.
    Do you mean "Jessica Jones"?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Do you mean "Jessica Jones"?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Yes.

There is a series about slaves escaping from plantations called "Underground" on WGN America that is pretty good.

The High-end TV Series Thread

We're watching "Mercy Street." It's a Civil War series that ran on PBS earlier this year, about a Union hospital located in Alexandria, VA during the war. (Alexandria was under Union control for almost the entire Civil War.) It's very well done.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Binge watched Season 2 of Bloodline on Netflix, such a good show

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Binge watched Season 2 of Bloodline on Netflix, such a good show
    My boss just recommended that to me this week. I will have to check it out.

Wallander. BBC production starring Kenneth Branagh as a Swedish detective. It's a very good, heady whodunit. And Branagh is a great actor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxtct

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

We're in a dry spell on sports and movies from the library. Looking for a TV show. We tried the pilot of Mr Robot and are not hooked. Has anyone watched the AMC La Carre miniseries with Loki and House?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We're in a dry spell on sports and movies from the library. Looking for a TV show. We tried the pilot of Mr Robot and are not hooked. Has anyone watched the AMC La Carre miniseries with Loki and House?
    Mr Robot....so good, can't wait for the second season. But maybe it's not for everyone. We watched the thing with Loki and House and thought it was pretty good but not quite great. If you're bored it could be a nice option.

Or get on Amazon Prime and watch Justified.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Mr Robot....so good, can't wait for the second season. But maybe it's not for everyone. We watched the thing with Loki and House and thought it was pretty good but not quite great. If you're bored it could be a nice option.

Thanks. We might give Mr Robot another chance. It does have Christian Slater, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post

I will second Justified. Absolutely a great show.

Justified: Ya, I keep hearing that. Need to watch it.
    Never heard of Mr. Robot, but i'm intrigued now.

I'm in Fargo season 1 right now. Fantastic.

Also watching HBO's Six Feet Under. Very very good.

Can't wait for the last season of The Leftovers.

HBO started a new murder mystery miniseries called "The Night Of" The first episode was excellent.

HBO and AMC are just hitting them out of the Park right now.

Also HBO's the Newsroom with Jeff Daniels is an underrated show. The episode where they recreate the killing of Bin Laden is incedible

Has anybody else watched "Marcella" on Netflix? It's a bit dark for my tastes (any whodunit about a serial killer is) so keep trying to stop but it keeps pulling me back. It's pretty well done and the plot's a lot of fun.

Marcella could be your next Brit mystery obsession

--Yeats

HBO's the Night Of is 3 episodes in, it has been exquisite.

The Night Of finished tonight. 10 out of 10 ... Flawless TV

The Night Of finished tonight. 10 out of 10 ... Flawless TV
    Just finished it.

Bravo.

that last scene was a thing of beauty
    Last edited by Brian; 09-25-2016 at 09:19 PM.

My son says it's terrific.

--Yeats

It was great. Shows how messed up our system is. How screwed up the lawyers/prosecutors/judges are and how the system creates criminals.

Nobody's watching Poldark?

--Yeats

Nobody's watching Poldark?
    My wife and I watched it on your recommendation. We liked it and are just waiting for the next series.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    My wife and I watched it on your recommendation. We liked it and are just waiting for the next series.
    Season 2 started last night with a two-hour episode. I think KUED in SLC will rebroadcsat it during this week if you want to catch up. It's probably available online too.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...es/poldark-s2/

--Yeats

Season 2 started last night with a two-hour episode. I think KUED in SLC will rebroadcsat it during this week if you want to catch up. It's probably available online too.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...es/poldark-s2/
    Where's the best place to catch season 1?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Where's the best place to catch season 1?
    We got it through Amazon -- purchased the season. It is probably available other places now. DVDs are available too but might be expensive. It's worth finding!

--Yeats

We got it through Amazon -- purchased the season. It is probably available other places now. DVDs are available too but might be expensive. It's worth finding!
    It looks like Season 1 is available on Amazon Prime.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    It looks like Season 1 is available on Amazon Prime.
    Only dummies like me actually paid for the season.

--Yeats

Only dummies like me actually paid for the season.
    Just consider yourself a patron of the arts.

Poldark is fabulous.