Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 95

Thread: The High-end TV Series Thread

  1. #61
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216

    The High-end TV Series Thread

    I watched the first episode of The Blacklist last night and unless it was an aberration I think that show may have jumped the shark. Too bad. It was my guilty pleasure TV show.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-30-2016 at 08:08 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  2. #62
    You may be right LA. It's been enjoyable to me as well. I've seen the first two episodes this season and I couldn't believe the difference. Bummer.

  3. #63
    Did anyone watch HBO's Westworld last night?
    I didn't see it, but I'm intrigued.... Hope it's as good as it sounds.

  4. #64
    Last night I sat down at 9:00 pm and decided to watch the first episode of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime. 3 hours later, I begrudgingly turned off the tv, after watching 3 episodes and seriously wanting to continue with the 4th. I'll probably binge watch the rest before the week is over.

    It is a 10 episode series with great actors playing great characters, and interesting story lines. Written and produced by a combination of creative geniuses that brought us Breaking Bad and Justified. If rated, it would probably be an R for language, some violence, and brief nudity.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    combination of creative geniuses that brought us Breaking Bad and Justified.
    Someone around here recommended Justified, so I gave it a shot. Over the past 4-5 months, I watched all of season 1. Finished it about two weeks ago. It was a bit of a slog, but it was alright. The cowboy stuff is fun, but there's a lot of soap opera in there too.

    I looked ahead online and was bit disappointed to see that Ava remains part of the storyline throughout. Boyd too, to a lesser extent.

    Not sure if I'll make it into season 2, but I might. I think it's up to Mrs Sancho.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Someone around here recommended Justified, so I gave it a shot. Over the past 4-5 months, I watched all of season 1. Finished it about two weeks ago. It was a bit of a slog, but it was alright. The cowboy stuff is fun, but there's a lot of soap opera in there too.

    I looked ahead online and was bit disappointed to see that Ava remains part of the storyline throughout. Boyd too, to a lesser extent.

    Not sure if I'll make it into season 2, but I might. I think it's up to Mrs Sancho.
    I enjoyed Justified mostly for it's interesting villains. Boyd is the one constant villain, plus Winn Duffy and Raylan's father, to an extent. But there are lots of other villain characters throughout the series that are a lot of fun. Plus lots of henchmen and minor villains throughout that add color.

    Season 2 has the Bennett family plus others.
    Season 3 has Quarles (Neil McDonough) who is tied to the Detroit mob, plus introduces Limehouse (played by Bubba from Forrest Gump).
    Season 4 has a snake-handling preacher and cousin Johnny.
    Season 5 has the Crowe family.
    Season 6 has Avery Markham (Sam Elliot sans mustache) and Katherine Hale (Mary Steenburgen).
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  7. #67
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    We are enjoying "Victoria" on PBS. Very well done. "The Crown" was pretty good too. (No, we are not fixated on British royalty.)

    I liked "Bloodline" which I watched via Amazon Prime. It has an engrossing plot.
    Spoiler: for SPOILER
    But...it was hard to find people to root for, and the ending seemed like a quick wrap-up that left lots of loose ends. Also, a ridiculous over-use of F-bombs. Like every sentence spoken by some characters.


    "The Night Manager" was terrific. Highly recommended. The ending was
    Spoiler: for SPOILER
    much better than I expected from a LeCarre story. It has the usual corrupt British intelligence bosses but the good guys end up winning.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-31-2017 at 04:43 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  8. #68
    I'm probably one of the ones that made the recommendation. Justified is awesome. It's all about the characters and the story-telling. Raylan....yeah, he's okay. But the villains and other random hillbillies--maybe I'm just weird but I eat that all up. Boyd Crowder, Arlo Givens, Winn Duffy, Dewey Crowe, Art (the marshal boss), Bob the deputy, so many great characters.

    I first watched it in 2015 and liked it so much that I watched the whole series again last year. Can't promise that I won't watch it a third time someday.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm probably one of the ones that made the recommendation. Justified is awesome. It's all about the characters and the story-telling. Raylan....yeah, he's okay. But the villains and other random hillbillies--maybe I'm just weird but I eat that all up. Boyd Crowder, Arlo Givens, Winn Duffy, Dewey Crowe, Art (the marshal boss), Bob the deputy, so many great characters.

    I first watched it in 2015 and liked it so much that I watched the whole series again last year. Can't promise that I won't watch it a third time someday.
    Dickey Bennett is my favorite character. "Heheheheeeey Raylan!"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #70
    I will give a second nod to "The Night Manager." A little predictable but great acting.

    I have also enjoyed the first season of "Mr Robot" too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Dickey Bennett is my favorite character. "Heheheheeeey Raylan!"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dickie made my skin crawl. His big, dumb brother was funny. My favorite was Dewey Crow. Nothing ever worked out for that dumb SOB. The episode when he thought he had his kidneys removed was hilarious.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  12. #72
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    "The Night Manager" trailer:

    https://youtu.be/JfzzLqzEf-I


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Last night I sat down at 9:00 pm and decided to watch the first episode of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime. 3 hours later, I begrudgingly turned off the tv, after watching 3 episodes and seriously wanting to continue with the 4th. I'll probably binge watch the rest before the week is over.

    It is a 10 episode series with great actors playing great characters, and interesting story lines. Written and produced by a combination of creative geniuses that brought us Breaking Bad and Justified. If rated, it would probably be an R for language, some violence, and brief nudity.
    Just watched the first episode of this and can't wait to watch more. Very enjoyable.

  14. #74
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    I'm into the second episode of the first season of "Bosch." I'm hooked.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm into the second episode of the first season of "Bosch." I'm hooked.
    I have read most of the Bosch books and the guy playing Bosch in the series just doesn't match my mental picture of Hieronymus Bosch.

  16. #76
    I can't see a commercial for that show without thinking of kitchen appliances.

  17. #77
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have read most of the Bosch books and the guy playing Bosch in the series just doesn't match my mental picture of Hieronymus Bosch.
    Fortunately for me I have not read any of the books. The show is beautifully shot, the story lines are intriguing, and the actors are great.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  18. #78
    "13 reasons why" is awful and in my opinion a shameful series. I'm not saying this in a pearl clutching sort of way. I actually went into it thinking I would enjoy it because I like dark and depressing stuff sometimes.

    This series, however is clearly targeted towards youth despite its MA rating and that rating is well deserved. It graphically depicts rape and suicide.

    And for critics who say it glorifies suicide, it doesn't do that, but it does portray it in such simplistic and finger pointing terms as to trivialize and normalize it, as if it is a rational decision with the blame lying solely on others.

    I hope no child sees it. I hope nobody who is contemplating suicide sees it and I hope that nobody who has lost a friend or loved on to suicide sees it.

    Probably easier to say, "I hope nobody sees it."


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #79
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    "13 reasons why" is awful and in my opinion a shameful series. I'm not saying this in a pearl clutching sort of way. I actually went into it thinking I would enjoy it because I like dark and depressing stuff sometimes.

    This series, however is clearly targeted towards youth despite its MA rating and that rating is well deserved. It graphically depicts rape and suicide.

    And for critics who say it glorifies suicide, it doesn't do that, but it does portray it in such simplistic and finger pointing terms as to trivialize and normalize it, as if it is a rational decision with the blame lying solely on others.

    I hope no child sees it. I hope nobody who is contemplating suicide sees it and I hope that nobody who has lost a friend or loved on to suicide sees it.

    Probably easier to say, "I hope nobody sees it."


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about trying it, but that sounds like its not for me.

    If you like dark and depressing have you tried HBO's the Leftovers? It's in its 3rd and final season. It's a sort of religious series about the Rapture. Its very well done, intense and is one of those shows you can't stop thinking about days after. Its creepy fun.

  20. #80
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,134
    season 3 (final season) of Bloodline came out a week ago on Netflix, finished it last night.

    I loved season 1 and 2 one of my favorite TV series. Season 3 was disappointing.

  21. #81
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    season 3 (final season) of Bloodline came out a week ago on Netflix, finished it last night.

    I loved season 1 and 2 one of my favorite TV series. Season 3 was disappointing.
    I thought Season 2 ended the series. I honestly didn't know where they could go with it from there.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  22. #82
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,134
    Leftovers just wrapped up their final season. Excellent finale. Great series

  23. #83
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216
    The Tunnel. I loved it. Season 2 is just starting.

    http://www.pbs.org/program/tunnel/season-1/

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  24. #84
    Big Little Lies. It is just so very good. Amazing performances from five actresses* on top of their craft, and it is just so deeply powerful and moving. It speaks to everybody, on one level or another. We all have pain and weaknesses behind the veneer who choose to show the world, and this show digs deeply into those secrets.

    David E. Kelley is a modern wizard when it comes to TV (LA Law, Doogie Howser, Picket Fences, The Practice, Chicago Hope, Allie McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Harrys Law, etc).

    Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée (Dallas Buyers Club, Wild, Demolition).

    Absolutely brilliant TV. Very highly recommended.

    *Shailene Woodley (who gives an exceptional performance), Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Kravitz, Laura Dern

  25. #85
    I loved Picket Fences - Kelley's best in my opinion. I'll have to check Big Little Lies out.

  26. #86
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,216

    The High-end TV Series Thread

    "Goliath" on Amazon is great fun, well-acted, and so forth, but the characters are such caricatures of stereotypes that it is sometimes hard to get through an episode.

    I agree with this review:

    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/91948594/

    I love this quote from the review:

    "Side note to any broadcast TV writer intoxicated by the opportunity cable and streaming offer to use the four-letter Anglo-Saxon word for sex: Scream it alone in your living room for a few hours and get it out of your system."

    Sometimes I think the F-bomb is the only adjective or adverb some of the characters in this show know.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I love this quote from the review:

    "Side note to any broadcast TV writer intoxicated by the opportunity cable and streaming offer to use the four-letter Anglo-Saxon word for sex: Scream it alone in your living room for a few hours and get it out of your system."

    Sometimes I think the F-bomb is the only adjective or adverb some of the characters in this show know.
    Just like there's a recipe for comic book movies, there is a recipe for TV dramas in the "golden age." Soap operas with high production value. Language and nudity are a must to be taken seriously. Love triangles, absurd cliffhangers, and killing off main characters to keep the fan boards guessing. Set one of them in Middle Earth, one in a newsroom, and one in the old west. Scripts/storylines are interchangeable.

  28. #88
    Anyone watch game of thrones? I read the first novel a few years ago, so I know the characters' names. I'm surprised to be seeing the same old names all over Twitter every week. Surely people will eventually tire of Lannisters and Starks, right?

  29. #89
    In about 9 more weeks it will all he over. This is the last season, and they are already past the books.

  30. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    In about 9 more weeks it will all he over. This is the last season, and they are already past the books.
    Does it feel like "Days of Our Lives" set in a fantasy world yet?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •