Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Pac-12 roadtrip: Arizona St & Arizona

Hybrid View

First Pac-12 roadtrip: Arizona St & Arizona

Do we not have a thread for this trip?

The ASU game scares the bejeezus out of me. Our first conference road game, their first home game. We are undefeated they are 0-3. Everyone talking about us, people in Tempe are looking forward to football. TRAP/////

I'm still not convinced we are a good road team. I'm confident that we'll do really well at home.

I know a lot of Ute fans are expecting a double digit win, but I think this one could be a hard fought/close game.

Looks like opening Vegas lines have the game from -5 1/2 to -6 1/2 for the Utes.

Won't be a walk in the park. I'll be happy with a W anyway we can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    I know a lot of Ute fans are expecting a double digit win, but I think this one could be a hard fought/close game.

Looks like opening Vegas lines have the game from -5 1/2 to -6 1/2 for the Utes.

Won't be a walk in the park. I'll be happy with a W anyway we can get it.
    I would love a really close win, actually. That would set Arizona up on Saturday.

As silly as it sounds, because of Arizona's road loss we are positioned well, but we've got to stay a game ahead of the Cats, even if we lost to them on Saturday. So yes, games like this at definitely "must-gets" if we want to be the top dawg in the league. I'm kind of glad Arizona gets to take its frustration out on the Buffs tonight instead of facing us in the bounce back game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Finally, it's game day! I don't like when we have to wait more than a week between games.

It seems like ASU is a shell of what they were last year. Losing Carson and the elder Bachinski has hurt them.

(Krstkowiak) "We are not going to be sneaking up on teams. We are going to get every team's best punch," he said. "I keep telling our guys it's a long season. There's still a lot of basketball to be played. I just want us to keep grinding and stay hungry, humble and after it."

While it may be tempting to look past the struggling Sun Devils (8-8, 0-3) and ahead to Saturday's showdown at No. 10 Arizona, Krystkowiak doesn't believe that will happen.

"There's no focus on Saturday," he said. "I am focused on ASU. They're dangerous and we are going to have to be focused on them."

Arizona State is off to its worst conference start since dropping its first 14 of 2006-07 -- coach Herb Sendek's first season in Tempe. The Sun Devils, though, have won 16 of 17 at home and have won all three matchups there since the Utes joined the Pac-12.

They're 8-1 on their home floor this season, with the defeat coming in triple overtime against Lehigh on Dec. 20
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 01-15-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The ASU game scares the bejeezus out of me.
    I don't know anything about ASU except that they are coached by Herb. His teams always manage one decent upset per year and 10 double digit losses. Gotta like those odds.

The nice thing about this Utah team is that they are set up to succeed on the road. They win by rebounding and playing sound defense. Home court advantage has little influence on those areas of the game, even if our offense has been kind of terrible on the road. If we can keep them off-rhythm, shooting contested jumpers, and be patient, I think we'll settle down and get a solid win. I'd pick Utah to beat the spread this game. But that doesn't mean I'm not still nervous.

Apparently Arizona is mad that they showed upon the wrong state.

First tip off we have lost all year
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Why does their big white guy have a tribal Tatoo?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

These Utes look good. Red and white! Remember when we wore grey this year? What were we thinking?

Does you all see 4 ASU players crowd together to stop Delon? LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Isaiah kinda got pantsed on that drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Terrible call

The "Jordan is better" chants at Dallin are funny.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The "Jordan is better" chants at Dallin are funny.
    I've seen ASU twice now this season, and each time their student section was pretty good. How long can they keep losing and keep that up?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I've seen ASU twice now this season, and each time their student section was pretty good. How long can they keep losing and keep that up?
    Win or lose, if the school gets hot girls, there will always be knuckleheads there to follow them around...and make up funny chants at basketball games.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I love The Curtain Of Distraction.

As to your question, the more ASU loses, the more they drink and the more the focus goes onto the Curtain, because what else will they do? Cheer?

This new wrinkle in Delon's game of drawing fouls is nice. With his ability to put the ball on the floor, it makes him nearly unguardable in college. I wonder who Arizona will put on him.

This team is really in a groove now. The way they moved the ball against that press, when they actually got it into the front court, was a thing of beauty. They need to work on some inbounding against the press, but at least that gives them something to work on in practice.

I also love how Poeltl doesn't shy away from contact. The ferocity in which he ripped the ball away on a defensive rebound as well as how he went after that blocked shot revealed a bit of nastiness we hadn't seen yet. I love it.

SU has nailed this: Taylor is an assassin.

Kuzma getting some play. Vegas seriously under values us. Only 5 point favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Kuzma getting some play. Vegas seriously under values us. Only 5 point favorites?
    It ain't like that at all. Vegas eventually gets around, but we've been doing this for three years. It doesn't matter what Vegas does, it puts a number out there and we kill it.

I don't think we've ever held a 17-point lead on the road in Larry's tenure.

Counting FTs, we made twice as many shots as we missed. We shot 55-67-100 in the first half. I'll go on record now and say it's one of the 5 greatest shooting performances for a half in school history.

I was responding to the Arizona score

40 points in the first half...who are these guys?

Wow. Impressive in the first half. This is a great warmup to the game Saturday.

I don't think our starting five is our best 5

Kyle Goon tweet #1:

I asked Jakob Poeltl about his visit to Arizona last year on a recruiting trip. I don't think you can chalk up his response to his English.
    https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/556230650953347073

Goon tweet #2:

Poeltl said McKale Center was great and so were Arizona's facilities. "I'm looking forward to going back there and kicking their ass."
    https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/556230934760939520

Goon #3:

I'll put out the video in a sec. I think Poeltl made the comment in good fun, perhaps without the idea of "bulletin board material."
    https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/556234562460606464

We'll hear more about this, I think. But I like it!

--Yeats

Sweet spin move by poetl

Highlights from the ASU game:

http://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-...venth-straight

They are so evenly divided between the two teams that one might think it was a close game -- but the score is visible throughout.

--Yeats

Aghhh! I'm getting excited for the game today.

Part of me thinks we can pull this off. The other part keeps remembering the first half of the Kansas game.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.