Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washington (the state) comes to Utah: The Wazzu/Washington Games

Washington (the state) comes to Utah: The Wazzu/Washington Games

Here we go, back at the Huntsman. I'm hoping for a couple of nasty blowout wins.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I hope for a 30+ point blowout on Wed. My boss is a WSU grad, and he was gloating about the Cougs' win in Seattle last week.

Unfortunately, after pulling his bacon out of the fire continually over the last year, I screwed up at work a few weeks ago. Despite putting in my best efforts and orchestrating a full recovery from the mistake he still isn't talking to me.

Go Utes. Crush the Cougs.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Unfortunately, after pulling his bacon out of the fire continually over the last year, I screwed up at work a few weeks ago. Despite putting in my best efforts and orchestrating a full recovery from the mistake he still isn't talking to me.

I'm not sure the best thing to hope for is your favorite team crushing his then.

I hope for a 30+ point blowout on Wed. My boss is a WSU grad, and he was gloating about the Cougs' win in Seattle last week.

I don't know what you do, but I'm shocked that there is a wsu fan out there in a leadership position.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know what you do, but I'm shocked that there is a wsu fan out there in a leadership position.
    Believe me, I greatly prefer the WSU-type of Coug to the byu-p type. This place is lousy with zoobs.
    He was insufferable after the football game. And again after Kaelin Clay dropped the ball in the Oregon game. I look forward to returning the smug comments.

These are two of just 6 home games left this year (7 on the road after this).
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Believe me, I greatly prefer the WSU-type of Coug to the byu-p type. This place is lousy with zoobs.
    He was insufferable after the football game. And again after Kaelin Clay dropped the ball in the Oregon game. I look forward to returning the smug comments.
    This is so true. I constantly run into rich and powerful Wasu grads. Like people from Utah they have a chip on their shoulers that can make them insuffereble but helps achievement.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Interesting comments by LK at yesterday's presser:

http://espn700sports.com/espn700-int...rence-1-19-15/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Opening line is... Utah -19.5

Phil Cullen's e-mail to Crimson Club members today:

This week we have the Washington Schools coming into town. The week starts off tomorrow night as we host Washington State at 7 pm in the Huntsman Center. We will then host Washington on Sunday at 6:30 pm.

Washington State is a completely different team this year now that Ernie Kent is their Head Coach. In the past they have been a slower team from a possessions per game stand point but this year they are picking up the tempo ranking second in the Pac-12 Conference at 69 poss. per game.

They are led by Davonte Lacy who we had the privilege of coaching this summer in the Pac-12 All-Star trip to China. He is an excellent ball in hand scorer and plays at a great pace. A jack-of-all-trades, he does many things very well and is an outstanding shooter averaging 17.6 ppg in conference play. After Lacy they have been going to 610 big man Josh Hawkinson. Hawkinson is much improved from a year ago and is now averaging 14.8 ppg and 12.2 rpg in conference. He has the ability to extend the floor with shooting range and will be a tough match up.

Washington State has a great supporting cast around these two who are all-capable of playing in transition and are one of the better 3-pt shooting teams in the conference.

Defensively we will see man-to-man defense. They like to switch like sizes on defense on pick on balls and other crossing actions.

We will need to continue to improve in areas that we did not perform well this past weekend. Rebounding will be an emphasis and getting defensive stops which helps us get out and play to our strengths.

Tomorrow will be our first WHITEOUT! Join the team and wear WHITE to the game! Hope to see you at the Huntsman tomorrow.

GO UTES!
    This could be a trap game. I hope the Utes are "locked in," to use a Krysko phrase.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-21-2015 at 08:45 AM.

--Yeats

I can't imagine the Utes will be flat. The rebounding numbers should be interesting---I will be surprised if WSU gets an offensive rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I can't imagine the Utes will be flat. The rebounding numbers should be interesting---I will be surprised if WSU gets an offensive rebound.
    I am told by a person I totally trust that Larry gave the team a fiery reaming-out after the Arizona game, calling out individuals for lack of effort and toughness. I imagine that stung and I hope it will have the desired effect.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Phil Cullen's e-mail to Crimson Club members today:

This could be a trap game. I hope the Utes are "locked in," to use a Krysko phrase.
    Phil needs to have his keyboard looked at. His space key only works about 4/5 of the time.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Phil needs to have his keyboard looked at. His space key only works about 4/5 of the time.
    It might be that something happens when I cut and paste from his e-mail. I'l watch that going forward.

--Yeats

It looks to me like the Pac-12 belongs to Arizona (I'm not giving up, but I think most outsiders would agree right now) and that 2nd place is a battle between Utah and Stanford. I feel like Wazzu is a poor man's Stanford, so this should be a good measuring stick in a way. Stanford has Randle' Wazzu has Lacy. Hawkinson gets 11 rpg for WSU, and the Brown/Nastic combo gets 14 rpg for the Cards.

Poeltl was not on the floor for warm ups, nor was he on the bench

Poeltl is out. In street clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Announcers said that the technical foul assessed before tipoff was due to Utah players dunking during warmups. Is this a rule, or did a player dunk in a particularly offensive way?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He is dressed just won't play
    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Announcers said that the technical foul assessed before tipoff was due to Utah players dunking during warmups. Is this a rule, or did a player dunk in a particularly offensive way?
    Never heard of that rule before
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Stupid rule. Officially the players can't touch the rim before the game. If the refs see it they will call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    According to my quick Google search, the NCAA Rule Book says a technical foul is to be assessed for:

A team member dunking or attempting to dunk a dead ball before or during the game, or during any intermission.

http://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/Gro...files/BR15.pdf

Someone who lost a game because of this rule:

http://deadspin.com/north-florida-loses-because-they-dunked-during-warmups-1671553078

--Yeats

We are playing sloppy
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We are playing sloppy

When is ogbe coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It looks to me like the Pac-12 belongs to Arizona (I'm not giving up, but I think most outsiders would agree right now) and that 2nd place is a battle between Utah and Stanford. I feel like Wazzu is a poor man's Stanford, so this should be a good measuring stick in a way. Stanford has Randle' Wazzu has Lacy. Hawkinson gets 11 rpg for WSU, and the Brown/Nastic combo gets 14 rpg for the Cards.
    Jesus. I told you; keep your hysteria and defeatism to yourself. Or, start a thread with Applejack.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The Wasu football game redux?!

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

When we rotate the ball well, it's a thing of beauty.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    defeatism
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

inigo1.jpg

These shot clock violations just amaze me.

--Yeats

So, we win by 22 while playing poorly at times and without our big man. I'll take it!